• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

something abt hinduism

Charlene.L

hi all,

i like the culture/ legend of hinduism very much, i was christian since i was small and after studying abt hinduism, i loved that and going to follow it.

would be much appreicate if anyone can provide me some more info/ sources talking abt hinduism and let me study more?

thank you so much!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Welcome to the forum Charlene.L, and to the kaleidoscope of Hinduism. Check Wikipedia, BBC Religions, About.com for Hinduism.

kaleidoscope-pattern.gif

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I would STRONGLY recommend the books from Jayaram V, a well known and respected savant of Hinduism, as well as all Dharmic religions of Mother India. He is very, very well respected and here is his link to some of his books (for you, I might recommend "Introduction to Hinduism"):

http://www.jayaramv.com/books.aspx

Actually he is the ORIGINAL founder of "hinduwebsite.com" and I have had the privilege of communications with him, he is beyond outstanding and a "hamsa" of Hinduism.

Another great source of books is from the Saiva Siddhanta organization which is Saivism that is inclusive of Murugan worship. They have a huge collection of books and of course they are the founders of HINDUISM TODAY magazine which is a classic among Hindus and definitely you should subscribe.

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/readlearn

ISKCON from the viewpoint of Krishna centric bhakti based on Personal Form also has a large collection of books, I would recommend for you the set of the Caitanya Caritamrita (Caitanya-caritāmṛta) of the life of the great Lord Caitanya by Prabhupad:

http://prabhupadabooks.com/cc

I would recommend also you study Shakta and Devi and actually if you have not yet visited a Hindu Temple, if there is a Devi Temple in your area (Durga, Kali, Saraswati and so on) that would be a great first day in a temple for you.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
ShivaFan i thought Sivaya Subramuniyaswami created the Hinduism Today. Am i mistaken?

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste Terese, you are absolutely correct, Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami (left the world in 2001, led an incredible - historic and epic actually - life from his birth in 1927) founded the Saiva Siddhanta Church, and I had the extreme privilege of meeting him multiple times, basically his "Church" (the original was called a Church) in San Francisco on Sacramento Street in the 60s-70s and beyond was a frequent visit, of course also I met him in Kauai, Hawaii, and during special holy days on Bakers Beach (S.F.) and so on. He founded Hinduism Today Magazine, which is a must for all Hindus and it is regularly sold on the shelf at my local Barnes and Nobles Bookstore in the magazine racks as well. This magazine is historic actually, and I would say collectible. In the Haight on Fredirick Street was the original "Radha Krishna Temple" not far away, Prabhupad lived in a room in the upper floors next to the temple there and he is the author of what is also a very historic series of books on Lord Caitanya. Due to my relations on my wife's side of the family, there is a pride in Lord Caitanya as being "Bengali", but I recommend this series not only because of that but because Caitanya led one of the most largest non-cooperation and pro-Hindu mass-movements openly in the streets of Bengal-Oriya and other areas, the numbers were literally epic in nature and in defiance of and at risk to life to the Muslim governorship which outlawed singing and calling out Names of Hindu Gods in public. But the true story as detailed in this series of books, is very moving. I recommend it, indeed.

San Francisco has had many temples. Many Gurus. In fact, the entire Bay Area of San Francisco. But nevertheless, for those who began to understand, I recommend going to India. You will sense when you are ready, then go.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Namaste Terese, you are absolutely correct, Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami (left the world in 2001, led an incredible - historic and epic actually - life from his birth in 1927) founded the Saiva Siddhanta Church, and I had the extreme privilege of meeting him multiple times, basically his "Church" (the original was called a Church) in San Francisco on Sacramento Street in the 60s-70s and beyond was a frequent visit, of course also I met him in Kauai, Hawaii, and during special holy days on Bakers Beach (S.F.) and so on. He founded Hinduism Today Magazine, which is a must for all Hindus and it is regularly sold on the shelf at my local Barnes and Nobles Bookstore in the magazine racks as well. This magazine is historic actually, and I would say collectible. In the Haight on Fredirick Street was the original "Radha Krishna Temple" not far away, Prabhupad lived in a room in the upper floors next to the temple there and he is the author of what is also a very historic series of books on Lord Caitanya. Due to my relations on my wife's side of the family, there is a pride in Lord Caitanya as being "Bengali", but I recommend this series not only because of that but because Caitanya led one of the most largest non-cooperation and pro-Hindu mass-movements openly in the streets of Bengal-Oriya and other areas, the numbers were literally epic in nature and in defiance of and at risk to life to the Muslim governorship which outlawed singing and calling out Names of Hindu Gods in public. But the true story as detailed in this series of books, is very moving. I recommend it, indeed.

San Francisco has had many temples. Many Gurus. In fact, the entire Bay Area of San Francisco. But nevertheless, for those who began to understand, I recommend going to India. You will sense when you are ready, then go.
It's amazing that you have met him! Could you tell what he was like? And when you mean Caitanya, you mean the propagator of the Gaudiya sampradaya?

Charlene.L

I would STRONGLY recommend the books from Jayaram V, a well known and respected savant of Hinduism, as well as all Dharmic religions of Mother India. He is very, very well respected and here is his link to some of his books (for you, I might recommend "Introduction to Hinduism"):

http://www.jayaramv.com/books.aspx

Actually he is the ORIGINAL founder of "hinduwebsite.com" and I have had the privilege of communications with him, he is beyond outstanding and a "hamsa" of Hinduism.

Another great source of books is from the Saiva Siddhanta organization which is Saivism that is inclusive of Murugan worship. They have a huge collection of books and of course they are the founders of HINDUISM TODAY magazine which is a classic among Hindus and definitely you should subscribe.

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/readlearn

ISKCON from the viewpoint of Krishna centric bhakti based on Personal Form also has a large collection of books, I would recommend for you the set of the Caitanya Caritamrita (Caitanya-caritāmṛta) of the life of the great Lord Caitanya by Prabhupad:

http://prabhupadabooks.com/cc

I would recommend also you study Shakta and Devi and actually if you have not yet visited a Hindu Temple, if there is a Devi Temple in your area (Durga, Kali, Saraswati and so on) that would be a great first day in a temple for you.

that's so great to hv the links above which believe would learm a lot from them! i am checking them out one by one ~

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
i am interested in its believes, and the guide to human being~~
You will find a lot. Check for 'Subhasitani' (Sanskrit for 'Good sayings'), Verses of Saint Kabir and English translation of Tamil 'Thirukkural'.

Last edited:

Kirran

Premium Member
i am interested in its believes, and the guide to human being~~

Cool, cool. Any particular deities? Any particular traditions that you know of? What beliefs have you encountered?

Lots of different beliefs in Hinduism! We've got monotheists, polytheists, nondualists, atheists.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
hi all,

i like the culture/ legend of hinduism very much, i was christian since i was small and after studying abt hinduism, i loved that and going to follow it.

would be much appreicate if anyone can provide me some more info/ sources talking abt hinduism and let me study more?

thank you so much!
It would be amiss of me to not mention the writings of Vivekananda as well. His writings were very lucid and somewhat similar in nature to C.S. Lewis.
http://www.ramakrishnavivekananda.info/vivekananda/complete_works.htm

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
C. S. Lewis is commonly derided even in West. The comparison does not compliment Vivekananda.
Is well regarded among many christians. So I meant it as a compliment. Of course Vivekanda was a far more significant person than Lewis in the context of India.

Charlene.L

Cool, cool. Any particular deities? Any particular traditions that you know of? What beliefs have you encountered?

Lots of different beliefs in Hinduism! We've got monotheists, polytheists, nondualists, atheists.

well, i am still very junior in this area, but i like its saying abt human life and loves~

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Welcome to RF, Charlene.
I think you'll find that there is more than one Hinduism, with many conflicting ideas and traditions.