• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some questions about Jesus

Tumah

Veteran Member
These questioned were originally conceived from a post by Kolibri. However, rather than derail the thread, I figured I would just post them here for you guys. The statement referred to Jesus being an angel G-d created with which to create the world. He was then made into a man at conception. My questions are as follows:

- What was the purpose of creating an angel who would create the world, rather than doing it Himself?

- It appears that you are reinterpreting the word "ElLoHIM" in Ge. 1 as a reference to Jesus the creating angel, rather than G-d. How do you rectify the contradiction between this and Gen. 2 which repeats some elements of the creation and attributes it to YHWH (and similar verses throughout Scriptures)?

- If Jesus was created before the world, doesn't that mean that G-d created 'dimension', 'number' and 'time' before (or at least in tandem with) Jesus, in order to distinguish between them?

-Do you believe that G-d is inherently logical or was logic created before Jesus, or is Jesus also unfathomable?

- Other than one being good and one being bad, what do JWs believe differentiates between Jesus the angel turned flesh and the Nephillim the angels turned flesh?

- Once Jesus the angel performed his task of creating the world, what did he do over the next few millenia?

- What purpose do you believe the names of angels play in their existence?

- What is the difference between a soul and an angel?

That's all I got for now.
Thanks

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
These questioned were originally conceived from a post by Kolibri. HOwever, rather than derail the thread, I figured I would just post them here for you guys. The statement referred to Jesus being an angel G-d created with which to create the world. He was then made into a man at conception. My questions are as follows:

- What was the purpose of creating an angel who would create the world, rather than doing it Himself?

Hi Tumah,

Where i can i will answer with a scripture, or try my best to give the explanation as I know it from the Watchtower.

For your first question, we look a Proverbs chapter 8 which speaks of wisdom. It also speaks of a certain individual who was Gods first creation.
Prov 8:22 Jehovah produced me as the beginning of his way,+
The earliest of his achievements of long ago.+
23 From ancient times* I was installed,+
From the start, from times earlier than the earth.

Why God chose to bring another life, or being, into existence is not known. The bible simply tells us the fact that he did so. Perhaps he did it because he is a God of love and the act of creating another living being was because of his love. I can only speculate because Gods word does not lay out a reason why he did it.

- It appears that you are reinterpreting the word "ElLoHIM" in Ge. 1 as a reference to Jesus the creating angel, rather than G-d. How do you rectify the contradiction between this and Gen. 2 which repeats some elements of the creation and attributes it to YHWH (and similar verses throughout Scriptures)?

actually the only verse we ascribe to Jesus in the book of Genesis is the verse 1:26 Then God said: “Let us+ make man in our image,+ according to our likeness
We believe that God is speaking to Jesus in this verse when he says 'let us' make man....
Elohim =God
El = God
YHWH = the name of God/El/Elohim (the tetragrammaton)

We would never claim that Jesus is YHWH. We are not trinitarians, so we dont believe that Jesus is the same individual as God in any part.

- If Jesus was created before the world, doesn't that mean that G-d created 'dimension', 'number' and 'time' before (or at least in tandem with) Jesus, in order to distinguish between them?

I dont think that is necessarily so. Jesus was originally created as a spirit being.... they do not exist in our physical world. And i would say that time and dimension only exists in our physical universe....we are part of it, the earth is part of it, the sun moon and stars are part of it... but God, Jesus and the angels of heaven are not part of it. They are metaphysical and not bound by the dimensions of the physical universe. When we think about it, they are not even bound by the laws of the universe.

- Other than one being good and one being bad, what do JWs believe differentiates between Jesus the angel turned flesh and the Nephillim the angels turned flesh?

We dont believe the nephilims were angels turned to flesh. We believe that the nephilim are actually the children born from the unnatural union of the angels with the woman. The bible states this is the case:

Genesis 6:2 the sons of the true God*+ began to notice that the daughters of men were beautiful. So they began taking as wives all whom they chose. 3 Then Jehovah said: “My spirit will not tolerate man indefinitely,+ because he is only flesh.* Accordingly, his days will amount to 120 years.”+
4 The Nephʹi·lim* were on the earth in those days and afterward. During that time the sons of the true God continued to have relations with the daughters of men, and these bore sons to them. They were the mighty ones of old times, the men of fame.

In this passage, the 'sons of the true God' are not humans, they are angles. So the angles were marrying women and having children and those children were hybrids... they were large and violent and had superhuman strength. If you consider that some nations have legends of men with extraordinary strength , ie Hercules, its not hard to imagine that such legends were born from those real life accounts.

- Once Jesus the angel performed his task of creating the world, what did he do over the next few millenia?

Well the earth was not the first thing he created. The first thing he created were other beings like himself. So under Gods direction he created spirit beings/ angels. And when he finally did create the physical world, all the angels joined in praising God for the creation.

Job 38:4 Where were you when I founded the earth?+... 7 When the morning stars+ joyfully cried out together,
And all the sons of God*+ began shouting in applause?

- What purpose do you believe the names of angels play in their existence?

Im really not sure. We know that Jesus heavenly name is Michael and it means 'Who Is Like God?'

The only other angel named in the bible is Gabriel and his name means 'Able-Bodied One of God'

Perhaps the name of the angels are a praise to God.

- What is the difference between a soul and an angel?

That's all I got for now.
Thanks

A soul is a 'living flesh'. And the same Hebrew phrase which describes the animal creation, namely, neʹphesh chai·yahʹ (living soul), is applied to the creation of the first man. Man was formed from the dust and God blew into his nostrils the breath of life, thereafter “the man came to be a living soul.” Ge 2:7

An angel is not a fleshly being... so as far as the ne'phesh goes, they are not souls.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Hi Tumah,

Where i can i will answer with a scripture, or try my best to give the explanation as I know it from the Watchtower.

For your first question, we look a Proverbs chapter 8 which speaks of wisdom. It also speaks of a certain individual who was Gods first creation.
From the start, from times earlier than the earth.

Why God chose to bring another life, or being, into existence is not known. The bible simply tells us the fact that he did so. Perhaps he did it because he is a God of love and the act of creating another living being was because of his love. I can only speculate because Gods word does not lay out a reason why he did it.
So you don't understand Proverbs chapter 8 to be a discussion about wisdom, but about an angel. Interesting thought.

actually the only verse we ascribe to Jesus in the book of Genesis is the verse 1:26 Then God said: “Let us+ make man in our image,+ according to our likeness
We believe that God is speaking to Jesus in this verse when he says 'let us' make man....
Elohim =God
El = God
YHWH = the name of God/El/Elohim (the tetragrammaton)

We would never claim that Jesus is YHWH. We are not trinitarians, so we dont believe that Jesus is the same individual as God in any part.

My mistake. I understood from this post to mean that G-d created Jesus and then Jesus turned around and created the world.

I dont think that is necessarily so. Jesus was originally created as a spirit being.... they do not exist in our physical world. And i would say that time and dimension only exists in our physical universe....we are part of it, the earth is part of it, the sun moon and stars are part of it... but God, Jesus and the angels of heaven are not part of it. They are metaphysical and not bound by the dimensions of the physical universe. When we think about it, they are not even bound by the laws of the universe.
Right, sorry. I didn't mean dimension like a physical dimension. I meant as in the ability to exist as a distinct entity conceptually. Meaning, if G-d is the entirety of existence, then in order to create something that is not G-d, there needs to first exist the concept of not G-d. Which theoretically would be a contradiction to G-d's existence and would need to exist separately from Him. Similarly,, in order for G-d to create something before, there would need to exist a concept of before. Otherwise it is simultaneous. That's where i was coming from.

We dont believe the nephilims were angels turned to flesh. We believe that the nephilim are actually the children born from the unnatural union of the angels with the woman. The bible states this is the case:

Genesis 6:2 the sons of the true God*+ began to notice that the daughters of men were beautiful. So they began taking as wives all whom they chose. 3 Then Jehovah said: “My spirit will not tolerate man indefinitely,+ because he is only flesh.* Accordingly, his days will amount to 120 years.”+
4 The Nephʹi·lim* were on the earth in those days and afterward. During that time the sons of the true God continued to have relations with the daughters of men, and these bore sons to them. They were the mighty ones of old times, the men of fame.

In this passage, the 'sons of the true God' are not humans, they are angles. So the angles were marrying women and having children and those children were hybrids... they were large and violent and had superhuman strength. If you consider that some nations have legends of men with extraordinary strength , ie Hercules, its not hard to imagine that such legends were born from those real life accounts.

Oh, my mistake again. I thought I had done some research for that one. I found the idea here. I guess this is not an accurate representation of JW thought. But according to what you said earlier, angels are spiritual being and theoretically would not have the wherewithal to impregnate a physical being. Is this not correct?

Well the earth was not the first thing he created. The first thing he created were other beings like himself. So under Gods direction he created spirit beings/ angels. And when he finally did create the physical world, all the angels joined in praising God for the creation.

Job 38:4 Where were you when I founded the earth?+... 7 When the morning stars+ joyfully cried out together,
And all the sons of God*+ began shouting in applause?

Now I am more confused. Gen. 2 details the creation of man specifically as being done by G-d. How do you remedy this?

Im really not sure. We know that Jesus heavenly name is Michael and it means 'Who Is Like God?'

The only other angel named in the bible is Gabriel and his name means 'Able-Bodied One of God'

Perhaps the name of the angels are a praise to God.
That is interesting.
Thanks.

A soul is a 'living flesh'. And the same Hebrew phrase which describes the animal creation, namely, neʹphesh chai·yahʹ (living soul), is applied to the creation of the first man. Man was formed from the dust and God blew into his nostrils the breath of life, thereafter “the man came to be a living soul.” Ge 2:7

An angel is not a fleshly being... so as far as the ne'phesh goes, they are not souls.
Oh, I thought that the angel became the soul of the man Jesus. But according to what you are saying, how did Michael become a man?

Thanks a lot.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
So you don't understand Proverbs chapter 8 to be a discussion about wisdom, but about an angel. Interesting thought.

well yes we do... it is about Gods wisdom at the outset. But when it come to verses 22 onward, it begins to discuss wisdom in light of Gods first creation. Before God created anything, he was all wise, correct? But wisdom is the 'application of knowledge' So how was Gods wisdom expressed before he created anything? It wasnt. You only express wisdom by applying it. And God began to apply his wisdom when he created the first living being who was like himself. That being was Michael the Arch Angel who later became Jesus on earth.

This is why the theme changes at verse 22 and begins to talk in the first person about the beginning of Gods creations.
From the start, from times earlier than the earth.+
24 When there were no deep waters,+ I was brought forth,*
When there were no springs overflowing with water.
25 Before the mountains were set in place,
Before the hills, I was brought forth,
26 When he had not yet made the earth and its fields
Or the first clods of earth’s soil.
27 When he prepared the heavens,+ I was there;
When he marked out the horizon* on the surface of the waters,+
28 When he established* the clouds above,
When he founded the fountains of the deep,
29 When he set a decree for the sea
That its waters should not pass beyond his order,+
When he established* the foundations of the earth,
30 Then I was beside him as a master worker.+
I was the one he was especially fond of+ day by day;

I rejoiced before him all the time;+
31 I rejoiced over his habitable earth,
And I was especially fond of the sons of men.

My mistake. I understood from this post to mean that G-d created Jesus and then Jesus turned around and created the world.

We dont view Genesis 1 as the 'creation' of the earth. The earth may not be the oldest planet in the universe, there are literally billions of stars and galaxies and the earth was just one of them created at some unspecified time in the past.

But that verse from Job (all the sons of God began shouting in applause) shows that when the earth was made habitable for living things, the angels were witnesses and they praised God for the work done to the earth. So obviously other spirits were created before the physical world was created.

Genesis actually indicates that the planet earth was already existing in the universe with all the other planets and stars before it was made habitable.
Gen 1:1 says 'God created the heavens and the earth' The 'heavens' here can only mean the universe with all its stars and planets
Then verse 2 describes a planet which was 'formless and waste and in darkness' and God began to do something with that planet. Jesus did not work alone in this endeavor... Proverbs 8 tells us of a 'master worker' who was beside Jehovah so it was through Jesus that Jehovah put all his creative plans into action.

Right, sorry. I didn't mean dimension like a physical dimension. I meant as in the ability to exist as a distinct entity conceptually. Meaning, if G-d is the entirety of existence, then in order to create something that is not G-d, there needs to first exist the concept of not G-d. Which theoretically would be a contradiction to G-d's existence and would need to exist separately from Him. Similarly,, in order for G-d to create something before, there would need to exist a concept of before. Otherwise it is simultaneous. That's where i was coming from.

I dont know a lot about this... its a little above my head unfortunately.

Oh, my mistake again. I thought I had done some research for that one. I found the idea here. I guess this is not an accurate representation of JW thought. But according to what you said earlier, angels are spiritual being and theoretically would not have the wherewithal to impregnate a physical being. Is this not correct?

Do you recall the account of Abraham when he was visited by 3 angels? They sat down and ate a meal with him which shows they had real bodies of flesh.
And the account about Jacob wrestling with an angel shows that angels can take on human form.
So it is with the angels back in the days of Noah... they took on human bodies and cohabited with women. Now i cant tell you how they do that, but according to scripture they can do it. Perhaps they have an understanding of how to materialise into a human body, afterall, they were there to witness the creation of the first man and woman, so they must have seen how it is done.

Now I am more confused. Gen. 2 details the creation of man specifically as being done by G-d. How do you remedy this?

We go back to Proverbs chapter 8 where it says that Gods first created being worked alongside him as a 'master worker'

While the christian scriptures say that all things came into existence through Jesus, they dont say that Jesus did it all on his own. Jehovah issues directions to his angels and they go forth and accomplish tasks and those tasks are said to be done by Jehovah...yet we know that it may have been an angel who actually did the work. For example, the account about the 185,000 Assyrians who were put to death in one night was done by an angle, yet it was God who put them to death.

2 Kings 19 32 ‘Therefore this is what Jehovah says about the king of As·syrʹi·a:+
“He will not come into this city+Or shoot an arrow there Or confront it with a shield
Or cast up a siege rampart against it.+ 33 By the way he came he will return;
He will not come into this city,” declares Jehovah. 34 I will defend this city+ and save it for my own sake+ And for the sake of my servant David.”’”+ 35 On that very night the angel of Jehovah went out and struck down 185,000 men in the camp of the As·syrʹi·ans.+ When people rose up early in the morning, they saw all the dead bodies.+

This is the same senario with regard to Christ Jesus. He was the 'master worker' of Proverbs chapter 8. He could not have done all the work alone because God is the creator and God is the life giver. But God delegates tasks to his angels and the task he delegated to his firstborn was that of the creation of everything.
When God said "let us make man in our image', he was speak to that firstborn angelic son and he was directing all the work done by that son.

Oh, I thought that the angel became the soul of the man Jesus. But according to what you are saying, how did Michael become a man?

Thanks a lot.

The Hebrew scriptures tell us that the Messiah would be born through the family of King David... so obviously that messiah had to be a human.

The bible does not specifically state how this transformation took place. But it seems that God transferred the life of his heavenly son into the womb of Mary so that he could be born in human form. And when you think about it, life itself is not dependent on a physical body because the angels are alive yet they have no physical body. And when God created Adam, he first created a physical body without life, then he created a life to put into that body.
So just as Adams body and life were separate things, so too was the life and body of Jesus. This could explain how a heavenly angel can be born as a human. Obviously this is not something which would happen under normal circumstances, but this was a special case of God selecting the most trustworthy and the very best of his sons in order to accomplish the important task of saving mankind from the consequences of Adams sin.

Kolibri

Hi @Tumah . I will have to comb through this a bit closer in a few minutes. Regarding Elohim in Genesis. To clarify, if it has not been already: We see this plural noun, as it is always given a singular verb, is plural only in the sense of majesty. A royal "we" as it were. Elohim may have some significance or focus on the creative power of the Father. Indeed recognizing him as the source of all the power trapped in all the atoms in the universe with an infinite supply left over is rather daunting to think about.

Only when God said "let us" make man in our image, he was talking to his 'master worker' discussed in Proverbs 8.
(As wisdom, as a quality, was always present since Jehovah is the source of wisdom, we see this created thing as another individual - an angel granted more wisdom than Solomon ever had.)

Kolibri

In this source, the 3rd paragraph after the definition line, links in general the conflict among bible scholars as to the identity of the nephilim. I feel the author of that page may have not been clear that this particular paragraph was merely a historical lesson of what scholars in general have thought when looking at these passages.

To us the Nephilim were the hybrid offspring of the "sons of God", that is "angels that forsook their proper dwelling place" and human women. When the flood came, these hybrids along with their mothers drowned. The rebel angels dematerialized the bodies they were wearing like clothing and have lost the ability to put them back on. This is the source of the demons - angels that misused their free will to become rebels.

"And the angels who did not keep their original position but forsook their own proper dwelling place, he has reserved with eternal bonds in dense darkness for the judgement of the great day." - Jude 6

"Certainly God did not refrain from punishing the angels who sinned, but threw them into Tartarus, putting them in chains of dense darkness to be reserved for punishment." - 2 Peter 2:4

Tumah

Veteran Member
well yes we do... it is about Gods wisdom at the outset. But when it come to verses 22 onward, it begins to discuss wisdom in light of Gods first creation. Before God created anything, he was all wise, correct? But wisdom is the 'application of knowledge' So how was Gods wisdom expressed before he created anything? It wasnt. You only express wisdom by applying it. And God began to apply his wisdom when he created the first living being who was like himself. That being was Michael the Arch Angel who later became Jesus on earth.

This is why the theme changes at verse 22 and begins to talk in the first person about the beginning of Gods creations.
From the start, from times earlier than the earth.+
24 When there were no deep waters,+ I was brought forth,*
When there were no springs overflowing with water.
25 Before the mountains were set in place,
Before the hills, I was brought forth,
26 When he had not yet made the earth and its fields
Or the first clods of earth’s soil.
27 When he prepared the heavens,+ I was there;
When he marked out the horizon* on the surface of the waters,+
28 When he established* the clouds above,
When he founded the fountains of the deep,
29 When he set a decree for the sea
That its waters should not pass beyond his order,+
When he established* the foundations of the earth,
30 Then I was beside him as a master worker.+
I was the one he was especially fond of+ day by day;

I rejoiced before him all the time;+
31 I rejoiced over his habitable earth,
And I was especially fond of the sons of men.

We dont view Genesis 1 as the 'creation' of the earth. The earth may not be the oldest planet in the universe, there are literally billions of stars and galaxies and the earth was just one of them created at some unspecified time in the past.

But that verse from Job (all the sons of God began shouting in applause) shows that when the earth was made habitable for living things, the angels were witnesses and they praised God for the work done to the earth. So obviously other spirits were created before the physical world was created.

Genesis actually indicates that the planet earth was already existing in the universe with all the other planets and stars before it was made habitable.
Gen 1:1 says 'God created the heavens and the earth' The 'heavens' here can only mean the universe with all its stars and planets
Then verse 2 describes a planet which was 'formless and waste and in darkness' and God began to do something with that planet. Jesus did not work alone in this endeavor... Proverbs 8 tells us of a 'master worker' who was beside Jehovah so it was through Jesus that Jehovah put all his creative plans into action.

I dont know a lot about this... its a little above my head unfortunately.

Do you recall the account of Abraham when he was visited by 3 angels? They sat down and ate a meal with him which shows they had real bodies of flesh.
And the account about Jacob wrestling with an angel shows that angels can take on human form.
So it is with the angels back in the days of Noah... they took on human bodies and cohabited with women. Now i cant tell you how they do that, but according to scripture they can do it. Perhaps they have an understanding of how to materialise into a human body, afterall, they were there to witness the creation of the first man and woman, so they must have seen how it is done.

We go back to Proverbs chapter 8 where it says that Gods first created being worked alongside him as a 'master worker'

While the christian scriptures say that all things came into existence through Jesus, they dont say that Jesus did it all on his own. Jehovah issues directions to his angels and they go forth and accomplish tasks and those tasks are said to be done by Jehovah...yet we know that it may have been an angel who actually did the work. For example, the account about the 185,000 Assyrians who were put to death in one night was done by an angle, yet it was God who put them to death.

2 Kings 19 32 ‘Therefore this is what Jehovah says about the king of As·syrʹi·a:+
“He will not come into this city+Or shoot an arrow there Or confront it with a shield
Or cast up a siege rampart against it.+ 33 By the way he came he will return;
He will not come into this city,” declares Jehovah. 34 I will defend this city+ and save it for my own sake+ And for the sake of my servant David.”’”+ 35 On that very night the angel of Jehovah went out and struck down 185,000 men in the camp of the As·syrʹi·ans.+ When people rose up early in the morning, they saw all the dead bodies.+

This is the same senario with regard to Christ Jesus. He was the 'master worker' of Proverbs chapter 8. He could not have done all the work alone because God is the creator and God is the life giver. But God delegates tasks to his angels and the task he delegated to his firstborn was that of the creation of everything.
When God said "let us make man in our image', he was speak to that firstborn angelic son and he was directing all the work done by that son.

The Hebrew scriptures tell us that the Messiah would be born through the family of King David... so obviously that messiah had to be a human.

The bible does not specifically state how this transformation took place. But it seems that God transferred the life of his heavenly son into the womb of Mary so that he could be born in human form. And when you think about it, life itself is not dependent on a physical body because the angels are alive yet they have no physical body. And when God created Adam, he first created a physical body without life, then he created a life to put into that body.
So just as Adams body and life were separate things, so too was the life and body of Jesus. This could explain how a heavenly angel can be born as a human. Obviously this is not something which would happen under normal circumstances, but this was a special case of God selecting the most trustworthy and the very best of his sons in order to accomplish the important task of saving mankind from the consequences of Adams sin.

Based on what you are saying here, why was it necessary for Michael to be born from a human mother, rather than manifest in the flesh as you've demonstrated that other angels have done?
Thanks for taking the time to reply to all that. I'm much appreciative.

Kolibri

Just that last one. Sorry it was the Sabbath for me, so I couldn't respond until now.

No worries @Tumah ,I realized it was past sundown where you live :)

As regards your last question, Jehovah chose to address our sinful condition as a legal matter. Divine justice requires equivalency, "soul will be for soul, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot." (De 19:21) Since it was a perfect man that lost the right to give human perfection as an inheritance to his children, it would take a perfect man to buy that right back. An angel, being a higher life-form, would be overkill. (Ps 8:4,5) However by converting his only direct creation and closest companion from an angel to human first, Jehovah could do what he required from the Israelites of old - he gave his very best. (Nu 18:32).

Besides, because materialized bodies are like clothing to an angel, ruining the garment would not destroy the life.

As a replacement for Adam in our genealogical records Jesus becomes our "Eternal Father," provided we exercise faith in that legal exchange. (Isa 9:6)

Tumah

Veteran Member
No worries @Tumah ,I realized it was past sundown where you live :)

As regards your last question, Jehovah chose to address our sinful condition as a legal matter. Divine justice requires equivalency, "soul will be for soul, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot." (De 19:21) Since it was a perfect man that lost the right to give human perfection as an inheritance to his children, it would take a perfect man to buy that right back. An angel, being a higher life-form, would be overkill. (Ps 8:4,5) However by converting his only direct creation and closest companion from an angel to human first, Jehovah could do what he required from the Israelites of old - he gave his very best. (Nu 18:32).

Besides, because materialized bodies are like clothing to an angel, ruining the garment would not destroy the life.

As a replacement for Adam in our genealogical records Jesus becomes our "Eternal Father," provided we exercise faith in that legal exchange. (Isa 9:6)
I see, thanks a lot.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Based on what you are saying here, why was it necessary for Michael to be born from a human mother, rather than manifest in the flesh as you've demonstrated that other angels have done?
Thanks for taking the time to reply to all that. I'm much appreciative.

Kolibri has explained it very well. Some of the scriptures which show this line of reasoning are as follows but its especially important to understand what happened in the garden of Eden when Adam sinned. When he disobeyed God he was condemned to death and paid a very high price. He was perfect and therefore could have lived forever without sin, sickness, old age and death. But by sinning he lost that prospect and so did all his offspring. That is why mankind have ever since been trying to find a way out of death...we dont want to be condemned as he was so we strive to 'make good' with our Creator.

Speaking of death, the psalmist wrote that no imperfect human can redeem another imperfect human from the scourge of death:
Psalm 49:7 None of them can ever redeem a brother Or give to God a ransom for him,+
8 (The ransom* price for their life* is so precious That it is always beyond their reach);
9 That he should live forever and not see the pit.*+ 10 He sees that even wise people die;
The mosaic law showed what was needed to redeem a sinner... only the equivalent of what was lost can provide redemption from error:
Deut 19: 21 You*should not feel sorry:+ Life* will be for life,* eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot

And this is why God would send someone who could offer themselves in place of Adam. An angel could not do it because an angels life is not equivalent to a human life. Only another human could provide a life equivalent to Adams life. Therefore, someone who was not one of Adams offspring had to come into the world and that is why God chose to transfere the life of his heavenly son Michael (his very best) into the womb of Mary. Michael could be born as a human without the stain of Adams sin. He was perfect just as Adam was because like Adam, he was created directly by God in perfect condition as a human being.

1John 4:9 By this the love of God was revealed in our case, that God sent his only-begotten Son+
into the world so that we might gain life through him.+10 The love is in this respect, not that we have loved God,
but that he loved us and sent his Son as a propitiatory sacrifice*+for our sins.

The result of this sacrifice is explained by the Apostle Paul
Romans 5:18 So, then, as through one trespass the result to men of all sorts was condemnation,+
so too through one act of justification the result to men of all sorts+ is their being declared righteous for life.+19
For just as through the disobedience of the one man many were made sinners,+
so also through the obedience of the one person many will be made righteous.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Kolibri has explained it very well. Some of the scriptures which show this line of reasoning are as follows but its especially important to understand what happened in the garden of Eden when Adam sinned. When he disobeyed God he was condemned to death and paid a very high price. He was perfect and therefore could have lived forever without sin, sickness, old age and death. But by sinning he lost that prospect and so did all his offspring. That is why mankind have ever since been trying to find a way out of death...we dont want to be condemned as he was so we strive to 'make good' with our Creator.

Speaking of death, the psalmist wrote that no imperfect human can redeem another imperfect human from the scourge of death:
Psalm 49:7 None of them can ever redeem a brother Or give to God a ransom for him,+
8 (The ransom* price for their life* is so precious That it is always beyond their reach);
9 That he should live forever and not see the pit.*+ 10 He sees that even wise people die;
The mosaic law showed what was needed to redeem a sinner... only the equivalent of what was lost can provide redemption from error:
Deut 19: 21 You*should not feel sorry:+ Life* will be for life,* eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot

And this is why God would send someone who could offer themselves in place of Adam. An angel could not do it because an angels life is not equivalent to a human life. Only another human could provide a life equivalent to Adams life. Therefore, someone who was not one of Adams offspring had to come into the world and that is why God chose to transfere the life of his heavenly son Michael (his very best) into the womb of Mary. Michael could be born as a human without the stain of Adams sin. He was perfect just as Adam was because like Adam, he was created directly by God in perfect condition as a human being.

1John 4:9 By this the love of God was revealed in our case, that God sent his only-begotten Son+
into the world so that we might gain life through him.+10 The love is in this respect, not that we have loved God,
but that he loved us and sent his Son as a propitiatory sacrifice*+for our sins.

The result of this sacrifice is explained by the Apostle Paul
Romans 5:18 So, then, as through one trespass the result to men of all sorts was condemnation,+
so too through one act of justification the result to men of all sorts+ is their being declared righteous for life.+19
For just as through the disobedience of the one man many were made sinners,+
so also through the obedience of the one person many will be made righteous.
So you are saying that Jesus redeemed Adam according to the equivalency Law of Deut.19.
Why does this not mean 1 (Adam) = 1 (Jesus) and everyone else needs to get their own equivalent sacrifice? The same way that I would assume that two eyes can't be redeemed with one eye.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
So you are saying that Jesus redeemed Adam according to the equivalency Law of Deut.19.
Why does this not mean 1 (Adam) = 1 (Jesus) and everyone else needs to get their own equivalent sacrifice? The same way that I would assume that two eyes can't be redeemed with one eye.

I guess its because Adams children 'inherited' this condition. Unlike Adam, its not something we chose therefore we are receiving the undeserved kindness of God. And besides, if it only took one man to bring condemnation to all, then it should likewise only take one man to bring salvation to all.

so too through one act of justification the result to men of all sorts+ is their being declared righteous for life.

Also, it is not Adam who is being redeemed. He will never be redeemed. It is his offspring who are being redeemed.

Kolibri

Adam himself was not redeemed - his sin was deliberate and willful in the face of accurate knowledge.
Jesus died childless, so his potential to create a perfect human race was also part of the exchange.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I see. Thanks.

Yw,

Also, recall in the hebrew scriptures the role of the one Messiah was to terminate the transgression in order to bring in everlasting righteousness :

Daniel 9:24 “There are 70 weeks* that have been determined for your people and your holy city,+ in order to terminate the transgression, to finish off sin,+ to make atonement for error,+ to bring in everlasting righteousness,+ to seal up the vision and the prophecy,*+ and to anoint the Holy of Holies.*

Isaiah 53:
5 But he was pierced+ for our transgression;+He was crushed for our errors.+
He bore the punishment for our peace,+
And because of his wounds we were healed.

So even here in the messianic prophecies we can see that only one messiah would be needed to make redemption for many people.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Yw,

Also, recall in the hebrew scriptures the role of the one Messiah was to terminate the transgression in order to bring in everlasting righteousness :

Daniel 9:24 “There are 70 weeks* that have been determined for your people and your holy city,+ in order to terminate the transgression, to finish off sin,+ to make atonement for error,+ to bring in everlasting righteousness,+ to seal up the vision and the prophecy,*+ and to anoint the Holy of Holies.*

Isaiah 53:
5 But he was pierced+ for our transgression;+He was crushed for our errors.+
He bore the punishment for our peace,+
And because of his wounds we were healed.

So even here in the messianic prophecies we can see that only one messiah would be needed to make redemption for many people.
Thanks.