• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Solar eclipse in April

We Never Know

No Slack
I can understand some worry with the large amount of people that will turn out but its sad they have to deploy the national guard as a safety measure and to provide help/support for a solar eclipse.

National Guard to Be Deployed for Solar Eclipse 2024

"Oklahoma's National Guard is set to be deployed for the upcoming total solar eclipse, when as many as 100,000 people are expected to visit one county.

In a statement on Tuesday, the guard said it would assist emergency management to cope with "an unprecedented number of tourists" on April 8 in McCurtain County, in the southeast of the state.

The guard will provide first responders as well as units with hazmat response capabilities in case of an incident like an industrial fire.

Lt. Col Jabonn Flurry, commander of the 63rd Civil Support Team, said: "This influx of visitors has the potential to overtax local resources and thanks to the training and experience our Guardsmen have working alongside local agencies all across Oklahoma, the CST is uniquely qualified to support our fellow Oklahomans."

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Quite a few would be from Oklahoma itself. The total eclipse goes across quite a few states and I do not see to many people saying "Let's go to this obscure corner of Oklahoma" that are not from there. They could see it from Texas to Maine.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The population of Mccurtain County Oklahoma its around 30,000. So 100,000 is over three times their population.

The village I live has a population of just over 500. For 4 days every August the village fete attracts up to 10000 people, that's 20 times the population.

While I've been here I've only seen 2 police, called when a drunken brawl broke out. Sorted, no national guard needed.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The village I live has a population of just over 500. For 4 days every August the village fete attracts up to 10000 people, that's 20 times the population.

While I've been here I've only seen 2 police, called when a drunken brawl broke out. Sorted, no national guard needed.
How many of them were "packing"?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I was thinking about a Solar Eclipse trip to Indiana until I checked hotel prices.
You might want to check the weather too. It is over a week out, so I would not give the predictions too much merit yet, but along quite a bit of the route it is supposed to be rainy. The link I provided above not only shows the path, but the time of the eclipse locally and predicted weather at various sites along the way. I do believe that Ohio was one of the rain ones. Texas or Maine would be your best bet.

EDIT: I just checked it again. About 80% chance of cloud cover along the whole event. That is a bummer. The weather could change, but I have my doubts:

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack

America is such a volatile place right now you never know what will happen or where it will happen.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
America is such a volatile place right now you never know what will happen or where it will happen.
I am pretty sure that you live somewhere near the path of the eclipse. I am sorry to see that according to the source that I linked that it will probably be cloudy on that day. Here is to hoping clear skies for you anyway. If the path of the eclipse is as cloudy as current forecasts say there will be an awful lot of disappointed tourists.