• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sokushinbutsu

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
The self-mummified Buddhist monks of Japan.

Sokushinbutsu - Wikipedia

"A mountain-dwelling religion called Shugendō emerged in Japan as a syncretism between Vajrayana Buddhism, Shinto and Taoism in the 7th century, which stressed ascetic practices.[10] One of these practices was sokushinbutsu (or sokushin jobutsu), connoting mountain austerities in order to attain Buddha-nature in one's body....

In medieval Japan, this tradition developed a process for sokushinbutsu, which a monk completed over about 3,000 days.[10] It involved a strict diet called mokujiki (literally, 'eating a tree').[12][11] The monk abstained from any cereals and relied on pine needles, resins, and seeds found in the mountains, which would eliminate all fat in the body.[12][5] Increasing rates of fasting and meditation would lead to starvation. The monks would slowly reduce then stop liquid intake, thus dehydrating the body and shrinking all organs.[12] The monks would die in a state of jhana (meditation) while chanting the nenbutsu (a mantra about Buddha), and their body would become naturally preserved as a mummy with skin and teeth intact without decay and without the need of any artificial preservatives.[12][5] Many Buddhist sokushinbutsu mummies have been found in northern Japan and are estimated to be centuries old, while texts suggest that hundreds of these cases are buried in the stupas and mountains of Japan.[11] These mummies have been revered and venerated by the laypeople of Buddhism.[11]"

Have you heard of Sokushinbutsu before? What would you say to a friend or family member desiring to practice such religious austerities?

What are your thoughts on this extreme form of asceticism? Does your religious tradition encourage, require, or firmly denounce asceticism?

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I first encountered the sokushinbutsu several years ago while looking into extreme ascetic practices. I found that their practices were and remain incredibly controversial. Many seem to consider them to be essentially virtue-showboating, similar to the criticisms levied against immurement and self-crucifixion in the West.

I used to be inclined towards this sort of thing, living in a makeshift hermitage myself for a few years. I understand the draw first-hand.

To anyone considering it, I would tell them that it is not their responsibility to mutilate themselves, but to live a life of service to the greater good. Little good comes from this extreme asceticism. At best, it's a misunderstanding of one's duties and a sign you need to get your priorities straight; it's temperance without wisdom. At worst, it's irresponsible and callously selfish, lacking enough justice to do something more productive with your life and lacking enough courage to face society.

That isn't to condemn those who do undertake this sort of practice, but it is to discourage following in their stead.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The self-mummified Buddhist monks of Japan.

Sokushinbutsu - Wikipedia

"A mountain-dwelling religion called Shugendō emerged in Japan as a syncretism between Vajrayana Buddhism, Shinto and Taoism in the 7th century, which stressed ascetic practices.[10] One of these practices was sokushinbutsu (or sokushin jobutsu), connoting mountain austerities in order to attain Buddha-nature in one's body....

In medieval Japan, this tradition developed a process for sokushinbutsu, which a monk completed over about 3,000 days.[10] It involved a strict diet called mokujiki (literally, 'eating a tree').[12][11] The monk abstained from any cereals and relied on pine needles, resins, and seeds found in the mountains, which would eliminate all fat in the body.[12][5] Increasing rates of fasting and meditation would lead to starvation. The monks would slowly reduce then stop liquid intake, thus dehydrating the body and shrinking all organs.[12] The monks would die in a state of jhana (meditation) while chanting the nenbutsu (a mantra about Buddha), and their body would become naturally preserved as a mummy with skin and teeth intact without decay and without the need of any artificial preservatives.[12][5] Many Buddhist sokushinbutsu mummies have been found in northern Japan and are estimated to be centuries old, while texts suggest that hundreds of these cases are buried in the stupas and mountains of Japan.[11] These mummies have been revered and venerated by the laypeople of Buddhism.[11]"

Have you heard of Sokushinbutsu before? What would you say to a friend or family member desiring to practice such religious austerities?

What are your thoughts on this extreme form of asceticism? Does your religious tradition encourage, require, or firmly denounce asceticism?
They are nuts.

Gargovic Malkav

Have you heard of Sokushinbutsu before?

Yeah, I remember reading about it years ago.
Ever since I saw that picture of Luang Pho Daeng, Sokushinbutsu makes me think of "cool mummies".
Not because I think sokushinbutsu is cool, but because Luang Pho Daeng's corpse is wearing sunglasses.

What would you say to a friend or family member desiring to practice such religious austerities?

How I'll respond depends on which friend or family member it is, as I take their personality traits, age, and histories into account.
I'll probably get sad too, especially if it's one of the people closer to me and wonder if they lost their mind or are depressed or something.
I would probably at least ask: "Are you absolutely sure?" and/or "What caused you to make such a decision?"

What are your thoughts on this extreme form of asceticism?

Meh.
I certainly wouldn't encourage it, as it'll make me feel like I'm killing someone.
I may be more approving of it though, when someone is very old or ill and doesn't have much life left anymore, an idea similar to what some Jains do.

Does your religious tradition encourage, require, or firmly denounce asceticism?

That's up to the individual.
Ascetics can have qualities I find admirable, as they know how to live with virtually no necessities.
That said, can't say I feel called to live under such harsh circumstances myself.
Living by such strict rules tends to make me bitter and angry, so I don't think it helps me become a better person.