• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Societal Taboos vs Religious Taboos

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Taboos are a good thing in my opinion. Not having control of yourself is definitely not mature and evolved in the "spiritual" sense. If you cannot say no even to yourself, you are doing it wrong. For example, I have enough self control to not rape, steal, murder, etc. Might I want to sometimes (the exception being rape), sure, but it is one of my taboos. Another thing to note is the idea of having no taboos is extremely illogical, as having taboos becomes taboo, and therefore you have taboos.

What if you see no need to control yourself to not rape, steal or murder?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
What if you see no need to control yourself to not rape, steal or murder?

Then I'd call you immature, unevolved, weak, and primative. Plus likely illogical and I would report you for posting in our DIR here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orias

Left Hand Path
What about not just because you can but you find it fun or interesting to see their reactions?

Thats something I look for often. Not because its fun (though it is sometimes), but because when your back is against the wall and your forced to fight you have no other option.

Some may see it as childish or immature, I see it as heightening one's awareness and senses. If their only defense is "grow up", then they have yet to actually grow into anything thats been said or done.

"Childish" or "immature" doesn't exist in the face of danger. When one faces imminent doom the attacker is generally remorseless and thorough. Considering human psychology, dominance is often established in a playful manner anyways so it can be hard to determine the level of growth involved in this type of establishment (I mean in asserting dominance).

Also when it comes to stepping over boundaries and established lines of reason its not so blatant as a "childish" act either, its human to test boundaries and limits. In fact, its mainly why we are so well established, because we go places that other people tend to signify without any regard for the real involvement of "breaking taboos".

As a fighter its important for me to get in my opponents head, and establish a line of "do's and dont's" just to keep them orthodox. This can be applied in a number of ways especially when it comes to equating or searching for a sturdy line of direction or application when it comes to opposing any adversary in pretty every scenario (involving more than just fighting, but playing a game, pretty much anything that involves competition).

Last edited:

Premium Member
Why so? Why set your limits there?

I set my limits there because now it is not just about me and my Will but also about others and their Will. Specifically, it is about me forcing my Will on others and striping them of their, which is about as contradictory to my personal path as I can get. I do not necessarily see such things as objectively right or wrong, but that does not mean that humanity as a whole may logically be better off without rape, murder, genocide, theft, etc.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
What doesn't it have to do with the LHP?
I'm starting to wonder whether I'm in the right company. Last time I checked LHP isn't about being a douche, but about personal growth with any means necessary. If you do something just for fun, how does it relate to LHP?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I'm starting to wonder whether I'm in the right company. Last time I checked LHP isn't about being a douche, but about personal growth with any means necessary. If you do something just for fun, how does it relate to LHP?

Trying to grow a sense of fun? But.seriosuly.i agree

Premium Member
I'm starting to wonder whether I'm in the right company. Last time I checked LHP isn't about being a douche, but about personal growth with any means necessary.

I concur, to an extent.