• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So What is Sin?

bill

Sin can be felt. It is subjective but also morally arbitrary (ignorant). It is selfish. I could use a negative utilitarian argument to define it in this way "that which produces the least happiness" -
  • affects the actor firstly, maybe others too
  • might involve multiple actors
  • might benefit few, and harm many.

may

In the Scriptures both the Hebrew and Greek terms refer mainly to sinning on the part of God’s intelligent creatures, their missing the mark with regard to their Creator.
The common Hebrew term translated "sin" is chat·ta’th´; in Greek the usual word is ha·mar·ti´a. In both languages the verb forms (Heb., cha·ta’´; Gr., ha·mar·ta´no) mean "miss," in the sense of missing or not reaching a goal, way, mark, or right point.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
beckysoup61 said:
I like that, sin is a sickness of the spirit. That's a really good way to think about it.
A sickness of the spirit? Horse hockey! A "sin" is an alleged trangression hypocritical Christians can accuse others of committing. :rolleyes:

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
beckysoup61 said:
I like that, sin is a sickness of the spirit. That's a really good way to think about it.

So my desire to have sex with men is a sickness? I find that comment rather offensive to be honest, maybe you didn't mean it like that though...

d.

_______
'sin' is a word that doesn't have much meaning outside of a certain religious context. i don't think it has much place in a modern secular society.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
divine said:
'sin' is a word that doesn't have much meaning outside of a certain religious context. i don't think it has much place in a modern secular society.

I agree with that! Sin is not a legal term, but a religious term. Even in America, it has not yet become Constitutional law.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Sunstone said:
Aren't you being unfair to Becky here, good sir? Most Christians simply do not believe that sin is a transgression requiring them to throw stones. They take their attitude from Christ's famous, "He who is without sin, let him throw the first stone." Perhaps Becky is in that camp. After all, it is only a minority who believe Christ's famous statement on sin applies only to themselves, when they themselves have sinned. Let's at least ask Becky whether she feels sin requires her to throw stones, before we leap to stone her ourselves.
I typed "hypocritical Christians." Christians who are not hypocritical (which may or may not include Becky) are exempt from my statement. Stone-throwing is optional in either case. I will edit my post to eliminate the possibly perceived accusation against Becky. PEACE. :)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
retrorich said:
I typed "hypocritical Christians." Christians who are not hypocritical (which may or may not include Becky) are exempt from my statement. Stone-throwing is optional in either case. I will edit my post to eliminate the possibly perceived accusation against Becky. PEACE. :)

Thanks, Rich! I somehow didn't feel that post sounded quite like you. I'm deleting my original reference to it to avoid any misunderstandings that might come up. Once again, thank you for so graciously dealing with my worries.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I believe that sin is "What you believe God would not approve of you doing"; I guess the way that we interpret that is subjective to some extent.

Personally, I cannot see God denying Homosexuals a loving relationship, but I know that some will disagree with me vehemently.

c0da

So my desire to have sex with men is a sickness? I find that comment rather offensive to be honest, maybe you didn't mean it like that though...

Who said that having sex with men was a sickness of the spirit?

sparc872

Sin, like most other people have said, is a religious term. It was derived in a time peroiod long ago to define things men and woman shouldn't do; what the lawmakers back then viewed as immoral. A lot of them are obviously still useful in todays time, but some of them are completely ignored. This is why we mix our types of clothing and we don't keep woman out of church for 60 days when they have female children (there are plenty more as I am sure you all know).

The idea of these sins came from superstitious men who were trying to control the world they lived in. Why would God give a damn if we had cotton and wool on at the same time? He wouldn't. Just like today, we have plenty of stupid laws around. They help to keep society in check and uniform. Back then the reasons were the same.

Krie

I think that sin is only in your mind. I think that you do not truely sin you just feel guilt for something and you want to call it something so you call it "sin"

pdoel

Atheist_Dave said:

I actually didn't read it that way. More like, something that brings your own spirit down, would be a sin. So, if it's something that troubles you, then it's probably a sin.

For instance, if we wanted to apply this to homosexuality. I was very depressed and "sick in spirit" when I tried to deny my homosexuality. Once I accepted it and realized I was who God wanted me to be, it was very uplifting to my spirit.

Therefore, for me, I don't believe that homosexuality is a sin. But maybe, for someone who is straight, who tries to experiment with same-sex relations. If it doesn't feel good and makes their spirit weak, then maybe for them, it would be a sin?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Comet said:
Therefore, anybody who cries at the "loss" of a loved one is sinful......!!!!!!.....??????

So many breaking down the term, so many with great personal answers...... it is what it is to us all, and that was the question.

Someboday said it was a "sickness of the soul". I like that.

Sin to me is: doing anything that goes against my very being.... Letting my mind and body do though my heart and soul have said is wrong to do so. That is to "sin".

Mourning the loss of a loved one is not inherently a selfish thing to engage in. If the mourning causes you to neglect others, or to neglect your own health, then that aspect of mourning becomes sinful -- because then it becomes obsession -- which is selfishness turbocharged.

Mykola

pdoel said:
I actually didn't read it that way. More like, something that brings your own spirit down, would be a sin.

Not really so.

pdoel said:
So, if it's something that troubles you, then it's probably a sin.

Not quite.

pdoel said:
For instance, if we wanted to apply this to homosexuality. I was very depressed and "sick in spirit" when I tried to deny my homosexuality.

Hmmm... Doing away with a sin take some grief, that's right. Actually, being surgically operated can be painful and frightening... it takes an effort to decide to undergo that - to be healed.

pdoel said:
Once I accepted it and realized I was who God wanted me to be, it was very uplifting to my spirit.

Setting our own rules can be comforting, but the comfort is misleading.
Be afraid of being lulled in false sense of security and self-reliance.

pdoel said:
Therefore, for me, I don't believe that homosexuality is a sin.

If you were God it would do as an excuse :)

pdoel said:
But maybe, for someone who is straight, who tries to experiment with same-sex relations. If it doesn't feel good and makes their spirit weak, then maybe for them, it would be a sin?

Sorry to disappoint you... No. There are things that are sins objectively, no matter how we feel about them.

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
beckysoup61 said:
that which keeps us from God.

I would say that that's pretty accurate. And I wouldn't say that all things that are generally regarded as sin are sinful to the eyes of God. For instance, if a child learns a cuss word and starts using it without knowing it's wrong, I wouldn't call that sin. God knows our hearts and what intent is in them. I would say that sin is defined in its intent, not its action. Make sense?

may

Sin put man out of harmony with his Creator. It thereby damaged not only his relations with God but also his relations with the rest of God’s creation, including damage to man’s own self, to his mind, heart, and body. It brought consequences of enormous evil upon the human race.
that is the effects of Sin.