• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So it begins...

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Got these books in the mail today

IMG_20230424_184626.jpg

IMG_20230424_184605.jpg

Anything you wish you knew before you started your pagan journey?

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
I wish I knew not to buy crystals. Huge waste of money. Rarely use them anymore. Simple spells are just as effective.
I think a lot of people get sucked into buying crystals and all manner of overpriced and unnecessary items when first starting out. Tbh, much of the time a plain quartz crystal can suffice - it's a "general purpose" type of stone. Though if anyone is big on crystals, the most affordable place to find them is at a local rock and mineral show. You run less of a risk of getting scammed with synthetics there too.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Got these books in the mail today

View attachment 75751
View attachment 75752
Anything you wish you knew before you started your pagan journey?

By having access to both an "Idiots guide to..." and a book on devotional polytheism your leaps and bounds ahead of where I started.

Colored candles are all well and dandy for particular spells, but unnecessary. White will always work for anything...

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
By having access to both an "Idiots guide to..." and a book on devotional polytheism your leaps and bounds ahead of where I started.

In fairness to yourself, keep in mind how much the literature has expanded and evolved over the past couple decades. Stuff like that book didn't exist when I started. Theology was one of the hardest things I struggled with because of the lack of good resources, actually (well, that and the cultural hegemony classical monotheism enjoys that meant I was thinking in a box I didn't know existed about the subject).

But to @an anarchist - I don't think I'd change anything about how my path unfolded in the past, but if there is one thing I underestimated the value of for many years it's joining a tradition. I was overly-skeptical and suspicious of Pagan organizations and did not join one until a decade into my path. I truly feel that all worked out for me as it was meant to, but the value of working directly with a mystery tradition is... hmm... there aren't good words, honestly. It's fundamentally experiential and lived. I suppose you can take away from that the importance of practice and doing. Reading is good. Doing is better.

Hildeburh

I occasionally still fall for neopagan books, titles and blurb sound good but they rarely deliver. Read mytholgy in your chosen area of interest before investing in expensive books. Mythology, blogs, websites and some of the classic neopagan literature is freely available online.