• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smokey Food and Cancer

Baydwin

I debated whether to put this here or in the food section.

Obviously you don't know me at all well, but if you did you'd know I'm a bit of a hypochondriac when it comes to cancer because of the high prevalence of it in my family.

I enjoy smokey foods and drinks, I eat smoked mackerel about once a week, I enjoy the odd bit of smoked cheese and I drink a few cups of Lapsang souchong tea a week. It occurred to me recently that if smoking causes lung cancer, smoked food might have a similar connection to stomach or oesophageal cancer. A quick google search confirmed my suspicion, but they say "a diet high in smoked foods" is connected to increased risk of cancer.

What on Earth do they mean by "high"? Am I ok eating and drinking what I am? Should I cut back, or do they mean there is only a real risk to people having kippers every morning for breakfast and drinking nothing but Lapsang souchong?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I wouldn't worry. Eat what you like but stay in shape. Smoked cheese just makes cheese all that much better. It is like a gift from the Gods and Goddesses.