• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Small Groups

Treks

Hi

This thread is supposed to be about everything around Christian "small groups" and people's experiences with them.

I'm a relatively new Christian (3 years) and have only ever been part of one small group. I'm interested to hear about other people's experiences.

Are you in one? What's it like? What works, what doesn't? What do you find most enjoyable? Have you experienced different kinds of small groups? Some more formal or less so? Where do you / have you met with your small group? Have you ever led one, or thought about starting one? What would you love to see in a small group that you haven't yet suggested? Did you try a small group once and hated it and never went back? Why? etc.

If you started your own group, what are some tips you'd give others staring a group? Or if you've been in small groups a long time, what tips do you have for existing groups to help them flourish?

Thanks in advance for sharing :)

Treks

Treks

Thanks for the reply, Sand Dancer :)

I get the feeling that formal small groups aren't a thing. If anyone is in a more formal one, I'd love to hear from you!

And I'm with you, Sand Dancer - opportunities for questions and discussion are vital for one's growth. It's a red flag if a place or group dodges or discourages it.

I've only been in the one small group so far, and we have plenty of Q&A and discussion.

One thing a member started doing recently is bringing a small blackboard to small group, and at the start the group can put things on the board that they'd like prayer for, which gets prayed for on the night, and a picture of the board is sent around after in our Whatsapp group for private prayer in the fortnight between meetings.

I really struggle with praying with people, though. It's becoming quite awkward because in every meeting during the prayer section I never speak up. There's not a chance that I could pray like they can. :(

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Hi

This thread is supposed to be about everything around Christian "small groups" and people's experiences with them.

I'm a relatively new Christian (3 years) and have only ever been part of one small group. I'm interested to hear about other people's experiences.

Are you in one? What's it like? What works, what doesn't? What do you find most enjoyable? Have you experienced different kinds of small groups? Some more formal or less so? Where do you / have you met with your small group? Have you ever led one, or thought about starting one? What would you love to see in a small group that you haven't yet suggested? Did you try a small group once and hated it and never went back? Why? etc.

If you started your own group, what are some tips you'd give others staring a group? Or if you've been in small groups a long time, what tips do you have for existing groups to help them flourish?

Thanks in advance for sharing :)

Treks

Small groups are great IMV. We love the fellowship, sharing of food, praying for each other and digging into the word together. We have done many on a variety of subjects and our next one is called Praying Circles Around your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears. The last one we did was The 5 Love Languages.

It's great to have a book to cover so everyone is on the same page. Letting people share is the key while not letting people deviate from the subject or dominate the conversation.

We meet at my home and usually no more than 15 people. (Smaller = more intimate)

We give it about 8 - 10 weeks and then give a break so that people can enjoy lives with their families too. Ours is on Friday night but other people have it on different nights.