• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slavic and Finno-Urgic Paganism

VioletVortex

Could any Slavic or Finno-Urgic Pagans (or those interested in the topic) give me some information or links regarding these forms of Paganism? I've been trying to learn more about them, but it is quite difficult, considering the amount of debate regarding the Pantheons.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Outside of practitioners themselves, there isn't a lot of reliable information online. for Slavic Paganism, and less so for Uralic Paganism.

VioletVortex

Outside of practitioners themselves, there isn't a lot of reliable information online. for Slavic Paganism, and less so for Uralic Paganism.

So there wouldn't be any sites? I wonder why Slavic and Finno-Urgic Paganism has been lost to history. We do have the Eddas from which Nordic and Germanic Paganism can be reconstructed, as well as a vast array of information on Greco-Roman Paganism, but Eastern European religion has been lost...

It is possible that Siberian and Inuit religion could provide some information for the Uralic side of things.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
There's a general dearth of info compared to other Heathen and polytheistic folk traditions.

Here are a few resources for Suomenusko (Finnish):

Kalevala - The Finnish saga of God's & heroes. tr. John Martin Crawford
The Kalevala Index

Kalevala, graphic novel form by Kristian Huitula
The Kalevala Graphic Novel - The art of Huitula -

Archive Recordings of Ancient Finnish Songs (CD)
Kalevala Heritage - Archive Recordings of Ancient Finnish Songs - Amazon.com Music

Taivaanaula - organization for Finnish folk tradition has an eBook on Finnish folk religion & mythology available.
Taivaannaula - In English

Finnish Myth .org - List of research materials
BOOKS

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
So there wouldn't be any sites?
None that I've found that are too reliable. There are good resources like Slavorum, but even they seem to take it from a Christian lens, so you've got to weed through things.

I wonder why Slavic and Finno-Urgic Paganism has been lost to history.
Slavic Paganism was heavily Christianized, almost as badly as Celtic. Finnish Paganism - from what I can gather - is just really well-guarded.

It is possible that Siberian and Inuit religion could provide some information for the Uralic side of things.
I would doubt it. Inuit is more American, and Siberian is more Slavic-Mongolian. Uralic Paganism is somewhat of a blend of Slavic and Germanic, from what I can tell, because they're smack in the middle of the two.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
I've located some Slavic resources:

SSEFA - Slavic, Eastern European & Eurasian Folklore Association
Slavic & East European Folklore Association (SEEFA) (list of recommended links)

Books
• Machal, Jan - Slavic Mythology. Available online
@ The Mythology of All Races/Slavic Mythology - Wikisource, the free online library
• Ivanits, Linda - Russian Folk Belief
• Ivanits, Linda & Ryan, W.F. - The Bathhouse at Midnight: An Historical Survey of Magic and Divination in Russia
• Kononenko, Natalie - Slavic Folklore

St. Michael's College @ Univ. of Toronto recommends:
• Dixon-Kennedy, Mike - Encyclopedia of Russian and Slavic Myth and Legend
"The Encyclopedia of Russian and Slavic Myth and Legend provides lengthy, illustrated A-Z entries on the myths and legends of Russia and other Slavic countries, such as Poland and Slovakia. Besides a good bibliography (p. 327-330), a glossary, a list of the rulers of Russia and an index, this thoroughly cross-referenced work contains a topic-finder (p. 337-352) which arranges entry-headings by both country (Ukraine) and category (Mythical places and objects)."
- see: Research guides: Mythology: Slavic

VioletVortex

I found an interesting article on Wikipedia about Hungarian Paganism. Supposedly, Pagans were fairly prevalent until after WWII.