• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sita Stands "Alone"

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Namaste All,

I just had a question. I have noticed that some of Lakshmi's avatars are depicted without Lord Vishnu's equivalent at times and are worshiped on their own.

Varahi:
2f07bf8f1c1cce484999b954cb5eabd1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Narasimha Devi:
pratyangira-03.jpg

I was wondering why it doesn't seem to be so for Sita Maa. Radha I somewhat understand, as she is actually Lord Krishna himself , and Rukmini is supposed to be Lakshmi.

But maybe someone more knowledgeable than me is familiar with a stand alone Sita murti tradition somewhere. As an artist I was thinking how lovely it would be to have a murti of Sita standing beneath one of the trees in Ravana's garden.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Though I'm sure there are temples dedicated to Sita Ma, I think in the North, the way I understand it is Sita is supposed to be an ideal daughter and wife. In the epics she is somewhat dependant on her male counterparts, helpless in a way. Though still honourable. Thus to feature her without Ram might be seen as a little contradictory to her portrayals as both complete each other, especially from a narrative perspective.
I'm sure someone somewhere has a murti of Sita alone though. Sita interpretations and indeed worship can be a little "divisive" amongst some.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting! I have never heard of Sri Lakshmi taking an identical form to Lord Varaha and Lord Narasimha :) i think it would be lovely too to have a standalone murti of Sita under a garden, though next to a murti of Lord Rama. Not Ravana's garden for me personally, as that was her prison :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting! I have never heard of Sri Lakshmi taking an identical form to Lord Varaha and Lord Narasimha :) i think it would be lovely too to have a standalone murti of Sita under a garden, though next to a murti of Lord Rama. Not Ravana's garden for me personally, as that was her prison :D

Matrikas - Wikipedia

I don't believe Lord Hayagriva has a female association.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Fireside,

That is such an awesome idea to portray Sita standing beneath a tree! U give us all the gift of viewing scenes from the Ramayana in such unique and lovely ways! Kindly carry on... God bless.

Satyamavejayanti

"Fireside_Hindu,"

Namaste,

In my tradition, we have always worshiped the Ram Parivar and not Ram alone, we always included Sita Maa, Lakshman and Hanuman Ji in our Home Mandirs, all Ramayana sittings are always to include Ram, Lakshman, Hanuman and Sita puja before the reading of the Ramayana is started and at the conclusion.

Even in Temples in Fiji (as far as i have seen), we find that it is not Rama on his own that is ever worshiped or depicted.

I think that this is the case because the Ramayana is a poem of Love between Sita and Ram Ji and the devotion of Lakshman and Hanuman Ji to both Sita and Ram, the entire basis of defeating Ravana has the justification of the Sita abduction by Ravana. The Ramayana core is Ram's heroic attempt at rescuing his beloved wife, and in the process defeating the Adharmah of Ravana who separates the two "Love Birds".

This i think is the reason that people wish not to separate the pair in worship or in depictions, as this separation of Sita from Ram will defeat the purpose of the Ramayana.

Anyways this is my understanding of it.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There are paintings which depict Mother Sita alone sitting under the Ashoka tree in Lanka when Lord Hanuman approaches her, or caressing a fawn in Panchavati. But when we come to worship, she is never worshiped alone, always with Lord Rama and Lord Lakshman, at least, if not with Lord Hanuman, and the Other Rama brothers or Vibhishana (the Parivar or the Darbar - Court).

But Mother Sita has strong defenders. She sits in our hearts. She is the epitome of a pious Hindu woman and Mother along with Mother Parvati. A very popular girl name all over India till very recently.

Valmiki Ashram in Bithur, Near Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
878_valmiki-ashram-temple.jpg
luvkush_sm.jpg
b8540df00e0853a59c289ae2f47b834c.jpg

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There are paintings which depict Mother Sita alone sitting under the Ashoka tree in Lanka when Lord Hanuman approaches her, or caressing a fawn in Panchavati.

Off topic, but I just love that old style of painting. It has a certain 'fuzziness' to it that makes it so appealing.

Shantanu

I too also simply adore the picture of Lav ad Kush (the Royal Twins of Rama and Sita) growing up and learning how to use bow and arrow.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Off topic, but I just love that old style of painting. It has a certain 'fuzziness' to it that makes it so appealing.
Here in India, paintings, statues, are as important as scriptures. They tell the story which should be our ideal. That is why Hindus do not necessarily need idols, pictures work just as well. We garland the frames, apply tilakas, and offer 'naivadya' before them. For us, they too represent living deities without the need for 'sthapana' (consecration). :)

The larger image above is very popular in India.

Last edited:

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I guess as a Shakta, I see Sita a little differently. I can understand how she might be seen as a damsel in distress, but one could also interpret the whole events of the Ramayana being the work of AdiShakti at the helm. During her captivity her bravery and resolve remind me of so many women we read about in the news who are held captive for years, but never let the experience break their spirit. In that way she is a hero in my eyes.

I did a sketch today of Sita sitting on a lotus, which is on top of Ravana's 9 heads. One of Sita's feet is stepping on his main head, to show that ultimately she defeats him with the power of her word and conviction. Her weapon is not a bow an arrow but the courage to say "no" in the face of threats. Also, her love for Rama keeps her spirits high. One hand is in the abaya mudra. the other sits in her lap, holding Rama's signet ring given to her by Hanuman. A third arm holds a lotus flower, as she is Lakshmi. On the fourth hand, Lakshmi's owl is perched - symbol of her perseverance in the face of darkness and her ability to guide us through dark times. A small Hanumanji bows at her feet.

I think I will make a proper painting of her.