• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Single or Double Spaced?

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I'm writing an "autobiography" for a professional student teaching assignment which will be sent to schools where I might student teach. Do you suppose it should be single spaced or double spaced? The instructions clearly state that they don't want it to be over four pages. I need to know if it should be double or single spaced, because if I single space it and it's three pages, that is the equivalent of 6 double spaced pages... What do you guys think is the most logical format for something like this?

Quickly! It's due at 4:00pm tomorrow!

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Double spaced, unless it is in a letter format.

Single spaced is just too hard to read, and personally, I think it looks "young"-- not sophisticated.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Rough draft double spaced. Look at what you have when you are done and decide at that point. Single spacing the final draft will let you cut the size in half if needed. Double spacing the rough draft will give you room to make red pen marks.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
red pen marks? This is all typed... And I won't waste my printer ink by printing out a rough draft and marking on it... We poor people can barely afford printer ink at all, let alone twice as much printer ink as we need to print the minimum of assignments. Education truly isn't fair for poor people.

rachadelle

I write essays for a living so from my experience you only single space if specified because it is harder to read and it goes by the professor's standards. Other than that, you use double space.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If single spaceing is so difficult why are books, magazines, pamphlets, &c not double spaced?
Double spacing looks like a student assignment, not a finished piece of writing.

Double spacing is perferred in school because it facilitates correction and annotation by teachers.
You can examine every autobiography in the library and I doubt you'll find a single one double spaced.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm writing an "autobiography" for a professional student teaching assignment which will be sent to schools where I might student teach. Do you suppose it should be single spaced or double spaced? The instructions clearly state that they don't want it to be over four pages. I need to know if it should be double or single spaced, because if I single space it and it's three pages, that is the equivalent of 6 double spaced pages... What do you guys think is the most logical format for something like this?

Quickly! It's due at 4:00pm tomorrow!
If they don't specify spacing, then single spaced should be fine.

Personally, I use single spacing for everything unless there's some special requirement.

Edit: if you want to do double-spaced pages, that's probably fine, but if you find that you need to switch to single spacing to fit in all the material you want, that should be fine too.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
red pen marks? This is all typed... And I won't waste my printer ink by printing out a rough draft and marking on it... We poor people can barely afford printer ink at all, let alone twice as much printer ink as we need to print the minimum of assignments. Education truly isn't fair for poor people.
WIMNC -

I would recommend at least one printout before your final assignment for submittal. Professional engineers and designers know that you can stare at a document on the screen for days and completely miss an error that is very visible on a printed paper page. You also need an opportunity to check your margins and page breaks, which may print differently than shown on the screen. We ALWAYS check the document at least once on paper before we issue it to our customer.

Most printers have a draft setting (low dots per inch or DPI) which wil let you print it to check without wasting too much ink. You can also reuse the back sides of previously printed sheets for check sets if funds are tight.

Last edited: