• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Singapore: no mask = prison sentence

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Don't be absurd. It is exposing innocent people to possible infection. It's like drunk driving or smoking in a confined space. And in any case, the reason for his prison sentence is largely due to his threats and abuse.

If you "tell someone about Jesus"[excuse me while I throw up:confused:] in KSA, and then threaten to punch a Saudi policeman who objects, what can you expect?
Then it's the threats and abuse that's the problem here, not the mask.

Jesus makes you want to vomit? Some "Catholic" you are.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Afterlife punishment?
I beg your pardon? Apart from the obvious fact that any not revocable afterlife is sufficient punishment for someone who committed suicide, I don't know what you mean. Do you think countries make something like suicide illegal, and delegate the punishment to a metaphysical judge?

Ciao

- viole

We Never Know

No Slack
I beg your pardon? Apart from the obvious fact that any not revocable afterlife is sufficient punishment for someone who committed suicide, I don't know what you mean. Do you think countries make something like suicide illegal, and delegate the punishment to a metaphysical judge?

Ciao

- viole

Its quit simple...
Its against the law to commit suicide. However if one does commit suicide they cannot punish them for breaking the law unless its done in a afterlife. So the law is pretty pointless.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Its quit simple...
Its against the law to commit suicide. However if one does commit suicide they cannot punish them for breaking the law unless its done in a afterlife. So the law is pretty pointless.
Not necessarily. They might punish failed attempts of suicide. Which in my opinion is just pure evil.

Ciao

- viole

We Never Know

No Slack
A Briton who was feeling very entitled to do whatever he damn well pleased and not wear a mask is going to prison in Singapore. To which I say GOOD. LOCK HIM UP. I'm past tired of those who think the law does not apply to them and they can do whatever they like no matter what the consequences.

Singapore sentences Briton to six weeks in prison for not wearing face mask

A Singapore court sentenced a British man to six weeks in prison on Wednesday, local media reported, after he repeatedly breached coronavirus protocols by refusing to wear a face mask in public.

Benjamin Glynn, 40, was found guilty on four charges over his failure to wear a mask on a train in May and at a subsequent court appearance in July, as well as causing a public nuisance and using threatening words towards public servants.

Glynn was earlier subjected to a psychiatric assessment ordered by the judge as a result of his conduct and remarks in court.

On Wednesday he asked the court to drop what he called "unlawful charges" and asked for his passport to be returned so that he could go back to Britain to be with his family, according to media outlet CNA.

It quoted the judge as telling Glynn that he was "completely misguided" in is belief that he was exempt from Singapore's laws on wearing masks.

From the link I posted in post #30.

8. Annoying someone with a musical instrument or singing in public
Punishment: Up to 3 months in prison.

So its better to go maskless on the bus than to sing on the bus.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
??? Who in their right mind thinks the law determines what is moral? Was slavery moral because it was legal?

I'm missing where I argued that.
But if you're suggesting...as you seem to be...that civil disobedience in the name of 'morality' is the purview of 'traditional conservatives' you're going to need to explain what a traditional conservative is in your terms, and what a traditional liberal/progressive is.

Sounds like jingoism to me.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Its quit simple...

1) it's a stupid law.
2) it's not pointless, as it allows any assisting/failing to act around suicide/euthanasia to be charged

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
So, who is accountable? The one performing suicide, or the one helping her in that?

Ciao

- viole

If you asking me to support the law, I'm not.
But with any law (at least in countries I've lived in) it's not only the perpetrator of a crime impacted by a law.

If another citizen assists in the perpetration of a crime, they can then be held accountable for that crime.

In short, it's not one or the other. It's both. With ANY law.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Suicide is death caused by injuring oneself with the intent to die.

Technically if one has help, it isnt suicide, but might be murder.

I'm really not sure what we're talking about at this point.
But...if I kill myself deliberately with drugs someone has helped me procure for that purpose, they're assisting my suicide. Not murdering me.
If they stand by while I kill myself and neither leave, not seek assistance, then again, this is suicide, not murder.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I've been to Singapore. It's a nice place and I felt very safe walking about even at night. You certainty want to behave yourself while there though.