• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhism Overview Discussion

anders

A very good and fair introduction, Rex!
There are only a few minor points that I would like to add.
Sometimes you will see "Ji" added after a name or a title, as in Guruji or Guru Nanak Dev Ji. That is a term of respect, also used for "ordinary" people. "Dev" means god, but is use as a honorific for gurus as well.
Often the Sikh introductory ceremony is called a "baptism" even by Sikhs. It should not be confused with the Christian baptism and the theories surrounding it. Also, to call the gurdwara a "temple" is as inappropriate as "Sikh church" or "Sikh mosque" would be. Any suitable building or room in a domestic dwelling may be a gurdwara, the only requirement being that it contains a copy of the Guru Granth Sahib, treated with due respect. Large gurdwaras may house a kitchen, school facilities, a bank for Sikhs etc.
What is rather unique for Sikhism is the tolerance, in theory and in practice. A person of any caste or gender may, for example, be the main caretaker of a gurdwara (there are no priests or similar titles). The SGGS is full of sayings promoting equality; even the Nam is sometimes referred to as "our father and mother". I find no other major religion matching this equality (I don't know enough of the Bahá'í religion to judge them from this perspective). Sikhs were among the first, if not the very first in India, to condemn female infanticide, the practice of burning widows and giving of dowries.
A very condensed statement of Sikh morality is "Nam japna, kirt karna, vand chakna", meaning "Praise God, do your work (honestly and diligently), give to those in need".
On the practical side, the rules you will have to observe when visiting a gurdwara are stated above as "cover your head, remove shoes, no smoking or drinking intoxicants." I would like to add that acceptable headgear will normally be on loan, and you shouldn't even be carrying tobacco.
A Sikhism site with lots of information is http://www.sikhs.org/

Lightkeeper

Thanks, Rex for the overview. I heard that the Sikhs had a particular greeting. I can't find the word on the internet. As I recall it respects the God in everyone. Does anyone remember what it is? I thought it was something other than Namaste. This is a beautiful religion.

anders

A slightly more elaborate salutations between members of the Khalsa (the initiates) is "Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Wahiguru ji ki Fateh" ("Khalsa belongs to God; victory is therefore God's own"). It is not uncommon to see Sikhs introducing web post addressed to other Sikhs with "WJKK WJKF".

Sikhism

yes the true greeting is ment to be waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee fateh (typically the baptised would greet this way)