• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sign at George Floyd Square gives list of special orders for white visitors

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
One addressing everyone....or no one.
So if the sign looked like this...
gmvuvZS.jpg

you would be fine with it?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That's what I said. I see people all over social media trying to use that as some kind of final authority on the matter, as though he represents all black people or something.

In all fairness, I've seen plenty of white people attempting to set themselves up as representatives of black people. Even here on RF, I've had white people from Europe or Canada try to tell me what it's like for black people in America. How do they know?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Go ahead and prove that. The defense couldn't do it.

It's been proven in a court of law that Chauvin was directly responsible for killing George Floyd. Case closed.
Sit on anyone's neck and lungs for nine minutes and 29 seconds and they will die. Whether they're on drugs, not on drugs, having a panic attack or whatever. That's how you kill a person.

I have panic attacks quite often. They don't kill.
interesting......I believe otherwise

I still think the suspect passed a bad bill
and was under the influence
and behaved badly in the squad car
and ended up face down for cause of it

and having been a black belt for sooooooooo many years
no
a knee in the back is not a choke hold

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
interesting......I believe otherwise

I still think the suspect passed a bad bill
and was under the influence
and behaved badly in the squad car
and ended up face down for cause of it

and having been a black belt for sooooooooo many years
no
a knee in the back is not a choke hold

Who cares if he passed a bad bill (which we don't even actually know at this point)? What makes that so worthy of taking a man down in such a fashion? Couldn't they just go to his house later in the day and calmly question him or something? It's not like it's a violent crime or anything, not even close. It's pretty telling that the cashier from that store said how much he regrets calling the police that day.
I once unintentionally gave a cashier a bad $5 bill a few years ago and you know what happened to me? Absolutely nothing. The cashier told me he had to keep the bill to report it or something, and I was on my way. That's it. There's some real problem in policing if something so minor and nonviolent ends up the way it did in the George Floyd case.

Also, who cares if he was "under the influence?" Millions of people go about their lives every day under the influence of pain meds, marijuana, etc. Again, why is that grounds to escalate the situation, as the cops did?

I didn't say it was a choke hold. I said if you put your body weight onto a person's neck and lungs for 9 minutes and 29 seconds while they are also mashed into the pavement, that will kill most people, whether they're on drugs or not. Brains need an oxygen and blood supply to work properly.

The medical personnel that spoke at the trial don't agree with your assessment. So does the jury.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
In all fairness, I've seen plenty of white people attempting to set themselves up as representatives of black people. Even here on RF, I've had white people from Europe or Canada try to tell me what it's like for black people in America. How do they know?
Ok. When one of those comes up, I'll have to comment on it, I guess.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What makes that so worthy of taking a man down in such a fashion?
seems he was kicking the doors of the car
he got pulled out

maybe a slap up side the head?.....would have been better

but of course......he was misbehaving and needed to be stopped
pinned to the ground and the rear wheel

but then the crowd gathered

at this point......the suspect will remain pinned.....and secured
as the officer and his coworkers
continue to perform the arrest

none of this would be argued
if Floyd had not passed a bad bill
and his physical condition had been better
and his behavior more compliant
and the crowd not so........close

Thief

Rogue Theologian
if you put your body weight onto a person's neck and lungs for 9 minutes and 29 seconds while they are also mashed into the pavement, that will kill most people,
I'm a scrawny 65yr old man
It would take someone really big to squish me

been there

a knee in the back?......only God knows how many times

I have experience

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
seems he was kicking the doors of the car
he got pulled out

maybe a slap up side the head?.....would have been better
Why would any violent act be "better?" He didn't commit a violent act. Why would violence be called for at all?

but of course......he was misbehaving and needed to be stopped
pinned to the ground and the rear wheel
Misbehaving?
I think the cop was "misbehaving."

but then the crowd gathered
Good thing they did, and filmed it also. Or we might have never known that this cop killed this man in such a callous manner.

at this point......the suspect will remain pinned.....and secured
as the officer and his coworkers
continue to perform the arrest

none of this would be argued
if Floyd had not passed a bad bill
and his physical condition had been better
and his behavior more compliant
and the crowd not so........close

That resulted in his death. Not to mention all the officers who testified said that was not proper procedure.

Chauvin knew he was being filmed. The amazing part is that he still acted the way he did, in light of that. Tells me a lot about what people like him think they can get away with.
Are you aware that Chauvin has a multitude of misconduct complaints against him in his past? Strange how we weren't allowed to hear about that at his trial, but we had to hear about what a terrible person George Floyd was because he's got an addiction problem.

You didn't address my point about the bill. Just repeated yours.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
think...perfect storm

how many details can accumulate?......badly
You know what doesn't kill a person? Not sitting on their neck and lungs while pinning them against them ground for almost 10 minutes.
I thought most human beings were aware of that.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok. When one of those comes up, I'll have to comment on it, I guess.

Well, I guess the point I was making is that no one is really qualified to speak as a representative for an entire group of people on that basis.

This is where identity politics tends to fall flat, such as exemplified in the sign in question. It's not so much what they're saying about white folks as much as they're suggesting that they represent black folks and are attempting to inform the readers that "this is what black people think and feel," as if they're some monolithic group where everyone thinks and feels the same way.

So, when the point about Morgan Freeman was brought up, it was a way of challenging that notion by saying "here is a black person who doesn't align with the stated narrative." Should it be dismissed out of hand because it doesn't fall within a certain pre-set formula? I don't believe that anyone is speaking for an entire group, but they're just giving their own opinions. Which is perfectly valid, but where does that leave us? What's the solution to the problem at hand?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Well, I guess the point I was making is that no one is really qualified to speak as a representative for an entire group of people on that basis.

This is where identity politics tends to fall flat, such as exemplified in the sign in question. It's not so much what they're saying about white folks as much as they're suggesting that they represent black folks and are attempting to inform the readers that "this is what black people think and feel," as if they're some monolithic group where everyone thinks and feels the same way.

So, when the point about Morgan Freeman was brought up, it was a way of challenging that notion by saying "here is a black person who doesn't align with the stated narrative." Should it be dismissed out of hand because it doesn't fall within a certain pre-set formula? I don't believe that anyone is speaking for an entire group, but they're just giving their own opinions. Which is perfectly valid, but where does that leave us? What's the solution to the problem at hand?
I agree. I think identity politics is stupid and impedes peoples' reasoning abilities.

I also agree that one person cannot represent an entire group of people, it just doesn't make sense. Which is why I am constantly baffled with US elections when voting groups are broken down by race, as though everyone from the same race votes the same way. It's ludicrous to me.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
You know what doesn't kill a person? Not sitting on their neck and lungs while pinning them against them ground for almost 10 minutes.
I thought most human beings were aware of that.
you would be surprised.....

having been a martial artist for 15yrs.....I was sensei for 8
I have met sooooooo many people who have no clue
the mechanics of the body

they don't' know their chemistry either