• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

* sigh* Just Another Day In Heaven

1robin

Christian/Baptist
"Anthropomorphic"?? Surly you jest.
That was weird. I actually made a mistake, but I mistakenly got it right. I actually meant to type anthropic and thought that my posting anthropomorphic was incorrect and so I looked it up but it looks like I got it right by mistake. Anthropomorphism is the attribution of human traits, emotions, and intentions to non-human entities and is considered to be an innate tendency of human psychology.
Google

So when you say Skwim can not do X therefor God could not do X then that is an anthropomorphic mistake.

All I asked is: What is your day-to-day existence like? and What do find that's keeping you from being bored, day after day after day---like forever? Have no answers? Then fine, you have no answers. :shrug:

I can not do it, so how in the world can I describe to you how it will be done? I only know that 1 second before I first experienced the presence of God for the first time I would not have thought any of the experiences I have had with God since then were possible. Why in the world do you think that the vanishingly small access to reality you have is enough to make the sweeping judgments about what is possible you are making, meaningful?

Even Nietzsche knew doing so was absurd:

The madman jumped into their midst and pierced them with his eyes. "Whither is God?" he cried; "I will tell you. We have killed him -- you and I. All of us are his murderers. But how did we do this? How could we drink up the sea? Who gave us the sponge to wipe away the entire horizon? What were we doing when we unchained this earth from its sun? Whither is it moving now? Whither are we moving? Away from all suns? Are we not plunging continually? Backward, sideward, forward, in all directions? Is there still any up or down? Are we not straying, as through an infinite nothing? Do we not feel the breath of empty space? Has it not become colder? Is not night continually closing in on us? Do we not need to light lanterns in the morning?
http://www.historyguide.org/europe/madman.html

Skwim

Veteran Member
That was weird. I actually made a mistake, but I mistakenly got it right. I actually meant to type anthropic and thought that my posting anthropomorphic was incorrect and so I looked it up but it looks like I got it right by mistake. Anthropomorphism is the attribution of human traits, emotions, and intentions to non-human entities and is considered to be an innate tendency of human psychology.
Google

So when you say Skwim can not do X therefor God could not do X then that is an anthropomorphic mistake.
Nice I guess, but what does it have to do with the two questions I asked?

I can not do it,
Okey dokey.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Nice I guess, but what does it have to do with the two questions I asked?

Okey dokey.

An analogy would have been for me to ask you what the inside of the sun feels like. Your responding back that that question commits a logical mistake, and that no one could know what I asked to begin with would have been appropriate.

God is infinite, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, time less, space less, and morally perfect, etc......., we are on the opposite end of that almost endless spectrum. If it has not been revealed and is not accessible to our senses then asking questions about it and expecting meaningful answers will come with a long wait. Not that an answer is useful. If there is no logical reason why God could not do X then why is it necessary to know how he will do X?

Skwim

Veteran Member
An analogy would have been for me to ask you what the inside of the sun feels like. Your responding back that that question commits a logical mistake, and that no one could know what I asked to begin with would have been appropriate.
Obviously---or maybe not so obviously I guess---I don't expect anyone to really know what it's like in heaven, but posed the two questions to get people thinking about the absurdity of heaven as pictured by many Christians.

panorama_of_heaven.jpg
pre-existence-people-white-robes-153673-gallery.jpg

DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFT . . . . . . .

From what I can tell, Heaven is more likely to be . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
far-side-heaven.jpg

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Obviously---or maybe not so obviously I guess---I don't expect anyone to know what it's like in heaven, but posed the two questions to get people thinking about the absurdity of heaven as pictured by many Christians.

panorama_of_heaven.jpg
pre-existence-people-white-robes-153673-gallery.jpg

DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFT . . . . . . .

From what I can tell, Heaven is more likely to be a cloud without magazines.​
far-side-heaven.jpg

If instead of suggesting God isn't capable of X, you wished to condemn an artist's conception of X, then that is fine with me but there is no longer a meaningful discussion to be had along those lines. I thought you were being serious.

Furball

I find it strange that people believe they are going to be doing things in heaven that THEY want to do. That's not going to happen. Descriptions in the bible have all the heavenly host falling down and worshipping god at all times. There is no "new day" there, it is eternity. There is no night. Heaven is supposed to be the place where god is most present, and it's all about god 24/7...not you. In heaven, your only purpose is to worship god without end. Sounds fun don't it? :(

Muffled

Jesus in me
I find it strange that people believe they are going to be doing things in heaven that THEY want to do. That's not going to happen. Descriptions in the bible have all the heavenly host falling down and worshipping god at all times. There is no "new day" there, it is eternity. There is no night. Heaven is supposed to be the place where god is most present, and it's all about god 24/7...not you. In heaven, your only purpose is to worship god without end. Sounds fun don't it? :(

I believe it is a logical fallacy to reson from one event to all events. The worshipping is one event.

I believe I was in Heaven and was not worshipping God. In fact I broke the rules and had to face God on His judgment seat.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Consider: you finally die and find yourself in Heaven. A year goes by and you start taking stock of your life there.

What is your day-to-day existence like?

What do find that's keeping you from being bored, day after day after day---like forever?

Another contradiction in the notion is this, my mother believes in heaven, I do not, nor my sister. Now I know my mother and the idea she wouldn't be distraught without us both is absurd, and by any objective standard we wouldn't there. So either heaven is nothing as it's described, in which case why believe it is real, or it doesn't exist.