• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should you believe in religion because the alternative is worse?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Seyorni said:
The religious rarely examine their beliefs. They are untrained in ethics, philosophy or critical analysis.
Religion is an inhibitory mechanism for the morally retarded who have no well thought-out, internal principles to keep the from a life of self-indulgence and social parasitism.

The concept of a principled, socially conscious Atheist or intellectual is totally incomprehensible to them.

Sorry you've had such a bad experience with religious people.

I don't have any conceiving of a principled, socially conscious Atheist. I like to think I once resembled that remark.

"One hour's reflection is preferable to seventy years of pious worship"

(Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Iqan, p. 238)

[I think Baha'u'llah is quoting from another religious tradition, either Judaism or Islam, considering the "seventy" part.]

Anyway, you could probably guess I'm not much on the "worship" part of religion, esp. in the usual sense. I think work performed in the spirit of service constitutes worship, and I believe it would be of far more use to the world than ceremonial protestations of "Oh Lord we are not worthy."

Flappycat

I am an atheist because there might be a god that admits atheists into an infinitely blissful afterlife but sends theists to die forever in a lake of fire. I don't know about any of you folks, but I'm not going to take my chances, and, if you have any sense, you'll renounce any theistic beliefs right now.

Take a nice, close look at that reasoning. It's really stupid, isn't it?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Flappycat said:
I am an atheist because there might be a god that admits atheists into an infinitely blissful afterlife but sends theists to die forever in a lake of fire. I don't know about any of you folks, but I'm not going to take my chances, and, if you have any sense, you'll renounce any theistic beliefs right now.

Take a nice, close look at that reasoning. It's really stupid, isn't it?

I find most of the reasoning about heaven and hell to kinda twisted. I'd prefer to just concentrate on doing what I need to be doing, and whatever happens after this life, be it something or nothing, can just take care of itself.

The idea of heaven and hell does seem to work for some people, though, and if it keeps people from harming others, that's a good thing. Even if heaven/hell are mythical, myths can be very useful.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Bastet[COLOR=indigo said:
I would think that that concept would make atheists value and cherish the life they have now, because it's the only one they have - surely not a bad thing?[/COLOR]
Well said. That certainly reflects my view. Frubals to you.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Mister_T said:
On the other side of the coin you have people who simply don't want there to be an afterlife for one reason or another. People don't like the idea of having to anwser to someone other than themselves. People don't like the idea of not having control over things.
It is not that I don't WANT there to be an afterlife, it is that I simply cannot BELIEVE that there is an afterlife.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Mister_T said:
Also for the record, I do read the Bible and I've expereinced this as well. And I've seen miracles. Although I'm still waiting for a few that are supposed to happen.
Can you supply some details about the miracles you claim to have seen?

Super Universe

Defender of God
We are all looking for something, something to reassure us, something that comforts us when the question poses itself to us "This is all I am?"

Some find it in a Supreme Being while others find it in themselves "No person and no being is going to push me around!" Like a gruff and rebelous man who smokes Marlboro's, has tattoo's, and piercings to show the world that he is really not afraid of anything.

Would he really need to put on such a show if he truly was not afraid?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Super Universe said:
We are all looking for something, something to reassure us, something that comforts us when the question poses itself to us "This is all I am?"

Some find it in a Supreme Being while others find it in themselves "No person and no being is going to push me around!" Like a gruff and rebelous man who smokes Marlboro's, has tattoo's, and piercings to show the world that he is really not afraid of anything.

This is sooo true, Super Universe! Every atheist I've known smokes Marlboro's, and has tattoos and piercings! They're a gruff lot, those atheists.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Super Universe said:

imo, that is not an apt description of many atheists.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Sunstone said:
This is sooo true, Super Universe! Every atheist I've known smokes Marlboro's, and has tattoos and piercings! They're a gruff lot, those atheists.

Hm, but when I was an atheist, I rode a motorcycle. Do you suppose that was a rebellion thing? And here I thought it was just an "I can't afford a car" thing...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Booko said:
Hm, but when I was an atheist, I rode a motorcycle. Do you suppose that was a rebellion thing? And here I thought it was just an "I can't afford a car" thing...
Yup, Booko: atheists will tell you they have all sorts of reasons for being atheists, but those reasons are just smoke screens. In reality, all atheists are just rebelling against God. They're a rebellious lot, those atheists.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Sunstone said:
Yup, Booko: atheists will tell you they have all sorts of reasons for being atheists, but those reasons are just smoke screens. In reality, all atheists are just rebelling against God.

I sincerely hope this was said tongue in cheek.

B.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Sunstone said:
Every atheist I've known smokes Marlboro's, and has tattoos and piercings! They're a gruff lot, those atheists.
Well, I do have an ear ring. I guess one out of three isn't bad. :biglaugh:

Booko

Deviled Hen
Sunstone said:
Yup, Booko: atheists will tell you they have all sorts of reasons for being atheists, but those reasons are just smoke screens. In reality, all atheists are just rebelling against God. They're a rebellious lot, those atheists.

Apparently when I was an atheist, I was just lying about my reasons and was secretly rebellious. That rebellion showed itself in my GPA at college, the bland clothes I chose to wear, eschewing drugs and gambling, and being a generally quiet person.

Aha! It was really all just a cover! ;)

Am I glad I finally figured that out, after all these years...