• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should There be Compulsion in Religion?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
That is just part of the teaching process for young people. Then they make up their own minds,,,,,,,,,,,,,if they can.

Do you mean you don't see how children can be taught about religion without being forced into it?

I don't know how you came to this conclusion.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Do you mean you don't see how children can be taught about religion without being forced into it?

I don't know how you came to this conclusion.

I hear that there is a saying in the Catholic Church (maybe from the Jesuits) that says "Give me a child till he is 7 and we will give you a Catholic" or something like that.
There certainly is an element of brainwashing in it but I know from experience with myself and my class mates in the Catholic education system that we make up our own minds. Maybe it was the era I grew up in to an extent.
Most parents with strong religious beliefs probably want their children to believe the same. If that is stopped (and I am not sure how that would be enforced) then it is one belief system forcing their ideas onto other belief systems and their adherents. It's the same thing that you seem to want to put a stop to. Sounds like an atheist plot to rid the world of religion :) while at the same time wanting to look like it is doing something fair and good and maybe even scientifically sound.
Some parents, such as my daughters, who are not believers, bring up their children with more of an open mind, but whether their minds are truly open in a system that ignores religious belief to an extent as if it is not important (I'm in Australia) is another matter. But I'm sure my grand kids will also make up their own minds in the end.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I hear that there is a saying in the Catholic Church (maybe from the Jesuits) that says "Give me a child till he is 7 and we will give you a Catholic" or something like that.
There certainly is an element of brainwashing in it but I know from experience with myself and my class mates in the Catholic education system that we make up our own minds. Maybe it was the era I grew up in to an extent.
Most parents with strong religious beliefs probably want their children to believe the same. If that is stopped (and I am not sure how that would be enforced) then it is one belief system forcing their ideas onto other belief systems and their adherents. It's the same thing that you seem to want to put a stop to. Sounds like an atheist plot to rid the world of religion :) while at the same time wanting to look like it is doing something fair and good and maybe even scientifically sound.
Some parents, such as my daughters, who are not believers, bring up their children with more of an open mind, but whether their minds are truly open in a system that ignores religious belief to an extent as if it is not important (I'm in Australia) is another matter. But I'm sure my grand kids will also make up their own minds in the end.

If all it takes to get rid of religions is to stop parents from forcing their children into a religion, then that speaks volumes about the quality and value of religions.

Brian2

Veteran Member
If all it takes to get rid of religions is to stop parents from forcing their children into a religion, then that speaks volumes about the quality and value of religions.

I did not say it would work, but it is the sort of scheme that some people may could think of in a misguided attempt to free the world from the scourge of superstitious beliefs from the past that hold us back from.............something or other.