• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the Government Help Those With Serious Mental Disabilites?

Unedited

If yes, how serious should the disability be, and how much should the government help? I ask because I'm trying to form an opinion on this matter myself.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Unedited said:
If yes, how serious should the disability be, and how much should the government help? I ask because I'm trying to form an opinion on this matter myself.
Would the government help those with physical disabilities ?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If someone doesn't help they are likely to become serious social and economic problems.

An ounce of treatment today may well prevent a pound of intervention in future.

alowyn

The question is really, who is REALLY mentally disabled? where do we draw the line between 'insanity' as i like to consider myself insane (i suppose we could just call it non-conformism) and actual, danger-to-society INSANITY? After all, a lot of neighbours would say how nice that person who was just convicted of serial murders was...
and Douglas Adams was institutionalised (was it his notorious 42?! some people seriously need to lighten up...)

Unedited

alowyn said:
The question is really, who is REALLY mentally disabled? where do we draw the line between 'insanity' as i like to consider myself insane (i suppose we could just call it non-conformism) and actual, danger-to-society INSANITY? After all, a lot of neighbours would say how nice that person who was just convicted of serial murders was...
and Douglas Adams was institutionalised (was it his notorious 42?! some people seriously need to lighten up...)
That's one thing I wonder about. Especially when we start talking about those who are no danger to society (at least no more than the rest of us), but have trouble function enough just to hold a job. How do you tell them from people who are just lazy and taking advantage of whatever mental insability they may have?

jonny

I believe that the government should help them only if it is determined that their family cannot.

Aqualung

Tasty
jonny said:
I believe that the government should help them only if it is determined that their family cannot.
Me too. And that they actually cannot help themselves. not the people who are just pretending.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I've heard from a psychiatrist who worked with homeless people that maybe a third to half of the people you see living on the street suffer from a mental illness.

Fire Empire

It seems to us that if it is a birth defect that was detected before the person was born, like down syndrome, then no, the government should not be expected to take care of the child (since the parents continued to carry out the pregnancy regardless of having a severly mentally handicapped kid). However, a government should help its citizens in general by supporting research to cure such problems.

jonny

Fire Empire said:
It seems to us that if it is a birth defect that was detected before the person was born, like down syndrome, then no, the government should not be expected to take care of the child (since the parents continued to carry out the pregnancy regardless of having a severly mentally handicapped kid). However, a government should help its citizens in general by supporting research to cure such problems.
So you believe that government policy should start encouraging abortion... I don't think that's going to happen (at least I hope not).

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
In the Uk most people with mental health problems or learning difficulties are helped by either the national health service, or the social services. Most help is carried out in the communities.

In my department where I last worked I took on a very young 34 year old, mental age about 8.
We trained him to do tasks mostly to do with print finishing.
He took up a little supervision time true, but I would not have been with out him .
When he had learnt a task he did it to perfection, not fast ,very one speed. If a problem came up. he would go at once to a supervisor and freeze
till he got an answer and was started off again. He was the happiest person in the department.
Even the mentally challenged have useful a place in life. It just takes others to have a little consideration for their welfare.

Terry
____________________________--
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Fire Empire

Terrywoodenpic said:
In my department where I last worked I took on a very young 34 year old, mental age about 8.
We trained him to do tasks mostly to do with print finishing.
He took up a little supervision time true, but I would not have been with out him .
When he had learnt a task he did it to perfection, not fast ,very one speed. If a problem came up. he would go at once to a supervisor and freeze
till he got an answer and was started off again. He was the happiest person in the department.
Even the mentally challenged have useful a place in life.
Then private businesses (and not our tax dollars) can float the bill and provide resources to train their own flesh and blood robots.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Fire Empire said:
Then private businesses (and not our tax dollars) can float the bill and provide resources to train their own flesh and blood robots.
That shows a totally un-charitable mind-set.
It should be about people and their pride in doing a worth while job, (he was paid for his work)not jut how much cash it costs us.

Terry

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Unedited said:
I believe they should.
I was just making the point that there is little difference betwen being physically or mentally disabled...........

Sunstone said:
I've heard from a psychiatrist who worked with homeless people that maybe a third to half of the people you see living on the street suffer from a mental illness.
That is probably an understatement (at least it is here in England); and to that you can add the fact that a third of the working and 'O.K' population are on antidepressants.

I have quite a lot of experience locally; unfortunately, people from the North, who are unemployed are tempted to come down South (on the coast) in the hope of jobs - in hotels and such like. Most end up in shelters (who will only take them in for a short while) and there are crowds at every local Church for food; the churches all take it in turn to provide meals.

The definition of someone who is mentally disabled is someone whose problem 'stops them from being able to live a normal life' - and that is quite hard to define.

Add to that the people who habitually try to be sent to prison, because they actually enjoy the instutionalization - they don't have to worry about tomorrow; also add to that members who have served in the armed forces (who often have a real problem coping in society again), because of that same 'being used to institutionalization (in the forces)' - that makes for a vast sociological problem.:(

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Yes, they need to help out. I have a cousin with cerebral palsy, along with mental retardation and blindness. My aunt has a hell of a time getting nurses to help take care of her from the state, because "she's not going to get better, and nurses are for people that will get better."

How bad should it have to be before they get help? If they cannot reasonably work and live alone, unless they have family willing to take care of them they need help.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Physically, mentally and emotionally disabled! I'm all for supporting them in any manner we can.

I feel badly for your aunt, Jensa. I'm about to start volunteering with a local hospice, because I really can't stand that attitude that the nurses you mentioned have. Just because a person won't get better doesn't mean they lose their worth as a person.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
FeathersinHair said:
I'm about to start volunteering with a local hospice, because I really can't stand that attitude that the nurses you mentioned have. Just because a person won't get better doesn't mean they lose their worth as a person.
I'm sure you'd do wonderfully at something like that, with the personality you have. :) Some people though, I have no clue why they got into nursing to begin with... Some of the people that come over to 'help' either fall asleep or just sit and watch TV! :banghead3 It's insane how many people that don't need to be near any kind of patient, much less a physically/mentally handicapped patient, are in the nursing business.

/rant

Aqualung

Tasty
Sunstone said:
That's because quite a few of them abused drugs in their day