• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Scotland be Independent?

Should Scotland be Independent

• Total voters

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Considering the Queen is half-Scottish what is there to be amazed?
Good!
I am amazed that in 2014 such a high % of folks do still support our Royalty. The Scottish referendum pushed the Scots' support for Royalty into more clarity.... more people spoke out for Royalty in a fortnight than I had heard before. Most of the time I just hear that folks don't want Royalty anymore.

Yes the Crown is half Scottish, but our Queen has rather a lot of Germanic blood...... fair?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
...but she is so brave and so special that I would want to support her through thick and thin. :)

What's brave about living in subsidised luxury and privilege? Surviving on the state pension in some damp flat on a council estate like an ordinary person would be brave.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
What's brave about living in subsidised luxury and privilege? Surviving on the state pension in some damp flat on a council estate like an ordinary person would be brave.
Fair enough...... There is brave and brave.....
But..... :)
The Queen has, for as long as I can remember, walked and ridden high up in carriages or on horse back in countless public spectacles, an open target for any sniper, political, gunman, nutcase or other assassin, cool as a cucumber.
Long past retirement age (60years back then) she has continued to work on in service of her countries. She has made mistakes, of course, over her 60 years as Queen, but when you look at the mistakes which the World's leaders make in a tenth of that time...... she ain't done bad.
But that's just my opinion. What we might choose for our countries after she has stepped down or gone.... that is another matter. :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Fair enough..... There is brave and brave.....
But..... The Queen has, for as long as I can remember, walked and ridden high up in carriages or on horse back in countless public spectacles, an open target for any sniper, political, gunman, nutcase or other assassin, cool as a cucumber.
Long past retirement age (60years back then) she has continued to work on in service of her countries. She has made mistakes, of course, over her 60 years as Queen, but when you look at the mistakes which the World's leaders make in a tenth of that time...... she ain't done bad.
But that's just my opinion. What we might choose for our countries after she has stepped down or gone.... that is another matter. :)
Sounds like she would get your vote if your head of state was chosen through a free and fair election.

Edit: the British monarchy is just as undemocratic as the Canadian monarchy, but at least you get to have your head of state actually reside in your country.

Apocalypse-Now

En Sabah Nur
Yes the Crown is half Scottish, but our Queen has rather a lot of Germanic blood...... fair?
What you've said is largely true; but I'm not sure whether it's fair or not.

To suggest the Queen should be 'disqualified' or rejected by Scotland because she has Germanic blood is like saying that America's voters should have rejected Obama in 2008 & 2012 because he's only half-white.

Personally, I do not necessarily favour Obama as a politician; but I think it's going a bit far to say that Americans should never support a candidate who is half-white. This is a general point, which doesn't necessarily point to the example of Obama.

PS. Point is, Scotland can still be independent, but retain the Queen as its sovereign as in the case of Canada, which gained independence from the British Empire in the 1850's.

PPS. Btw, you don't sound like you're from here; so why does your profile say that you're from England, given that you have a distinctive American accent?

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What you've said is largely true; but I'm not sure whether it's fair or not.

To suggest the Queen should be 'disqualified' or rejected by Scotland because she has Germanic blood is like saying that America's voters should have rejected Obama in 2008 & 2012 because he's only half-white.

Blood isn't what a president's claim to office is based on. If bloodlines don't matter, then the monarchy is illegitimate.

Apocalypse-Now

En Sabah Nur
Blood isn't what a president's claim to office is based on. If bloodlines don't matter, then the monarchy is illegitimate.
But I've never said that bloodlines don't matter.

Far from it; the Queen's bloodline would be the basis of her legitimate claim to be Queen of Scots.

However, I would disagree with your comment about POTUS.

As on the contrary, Obama's claim to office was based on his claim to represent white interests as much as the interest of minorities. For what other reasons would the majority of America's white voters choose Obama over McCain in November 2008; unless of course, Obama's ancestry can be considered to represent white interests?

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Sounds like she would get your vote if your head of state was chosen through a free and fair election.

Edit: the British monarchy is just as undemocratic as the Canadian monarchy, but at least you get to have your head of state actually reside in your country.

And just whom... just whom.... could you pick for head of State who would serve faithfully and bravely for 60+years?
Here's a clue....... she stands alone in her class, so give her that much. :p

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Suggest? What rubbish! She is the Queen of many countries, and her bloodline is therefore irrelevant.
That's slightly offensive, making out that I suggested that she might be disqualified by the Scots for her bloodline.

Personally, I do not necessarily favour Obama as a politician; but I think it's going a bit far to say that Americans should never support a candidate who is half-white. This is a general point, which doesn't necessarily point to the example of Obama.
What are you going on about? President Obama is one of the best Presidents ever.

PS. Point is, Scotland can still be independent, but retain the Queen as its sovereign as in the case of Canada, which gained independence from the British Empire in the 1850's.
Of course! But many Scots wanted to stay within the UK for her sake, or so they said prior to the election.

PPS. Btw, you don't sound like you're from here; so why does your profile say that you're from England, given that you have a distinctive American accent?
Rubbish........ name your county, then..... you go first! :D

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
There are so many UKIP gaffs that I lose track. Was it racism against seagulls? ;)
Ha ha! Racism against Aussie Seagulls!
Yeah...... they open their traps and just about anything can pop out. I'm glad that they're waking up the parties, but if they get too many seats..... mayhem! :D

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
But many Scots wanted to stay within the UK for her sake, or so they said prior to the election.

I reckon the Scots were bribed into a "no" vote by the a devious English Parliament promising greater autonomy. I thought it was a bit like in the film Braveheart where Scottish nobles were promised land and title for siding with the English king, Longshanks. ;)
th

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I reckon the Scots were bribed into a "no" vote by the a devious English Parliament promising greater autonomy. I thought it was a bit like in the film Braveheart where Scottish nobles were promised land and title for siding with the English king, Longshanks. ;)
th

Oh, definitely!
The promises that were thrown to right, left and straight ahead by all parties.!
Clearly the Government was shocked through and through by the possibilities.

I'll bet that Scotland is Independant within 15 years.