• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should evolution be taken seriously by evangelicals.

Sonic247

Last night I was debating with the intent to show what should be obvious about evolution. Tonight though when I was reading my Bible I came across this verse
(1Timothy 6:20)- O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane [and] vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
Perhaps debating evolution is not worthwhile. Yet people use a belief in evolution, specifically "survival of the fittest" when trying to reach their goals. This can be damaging because if the fittest's survival is emphasized I wouldn't take the weak's survival for granted. And it gives people an excuse to be sexually immoral since we are "nothing but mammals." But still all it is is bad science. I never saw anyone converted to a creationist view as the result of a debate, even if they lost the debate. When Paul says "keep that which is commited to thy trust" perhaps he is talking about the gospel which is necessary for creationists and evolutionists who need it. I just don't know, it makes me mad that people are so confident in evolution when it is so full of holes, but maybe I should just let it go and teach the Bible. All the threads I post on actual Bible verses get little feedback though. I think it's because people would rather argue, I know I would some days. The truth is learning is harder slower work than arguing. I think when it come to evolution I should study genetics. Not as it relates to evolution, just genetics by itself; the kind they can observe today. In the process I'm sure I will see more holes in evolution but at the same time it's more objective than going to an anti-evolution website.

all reference to evolution referring of course to "amoeba to man" evolution.

Last edited:

rojse

RF Addict
(1Timothy 6:20)- O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane [and] vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:

But is evolution falsely called science or not?

And what are the holes you speak about regarding evolution?

Words of advice for all of you: read Micheal Dowd's Thank God for Evolution. It will completely change the way you look at the world's of science and religion.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
May I ask if you have actually studied evolution in depth? Do you believe you have a firm understanding of the subject? Are you familiar with the term "straw man fallacy"?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
*** Mod Post ***

Please remember that this thread is in the DIR: Christian forum, everyone. That means this is not the place for debate, and non-Christians should constrain themselves to only asking respectful questions.

If you'd like to debate this issue, the general debate forums are open to you.

Thanks,

9-10ths_Penguin
Mod

A

angellous_evangellous

Yes, I think that evangelicals should take evolution seriously, and biblical interpretation and theology as well.

So far, evangelicals don't have a very good reputation for intellectual honesty in any topic that they address.

Sonic247

May I ask if you have actually studied evolution in depth? Do you believe you have a firm understanding of the subject? Are you familiar with the term "straw man fallacy"?
I would say I understand it better than the average person, but not as much as a biologist. And I am familiar with the term but it doesn't really apply here since I just asking a question for those who don't believe in a common ancestor for all life, not trying to give evidence against evolution.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I would say I understand it better than the average person, but not as much as a biologist. And I am familiar with the term but it doesn't really apply here since I just asking a question for those who don't believe in a common ancestor for all life, not trying to give evidence against evolution.

You said "Yet people use a belief in evolution, specifically "survival of the fittest" when trying to reach their goals. This can be damaging because if the fittest's survival is emphasized I wouldn't take the weak's survival for granted. And it gives people an excuse to be sexually immoral since we are "nothing but mammals.". I would like to dispute these points as I feel they grossly misrepresent evolution, but since this is a restricted DIR I cannot. Would you mind if I made a thread addressing your quote in the religious debates section?

Sonic247

You said "Yet people use a belief in evolution, specifically "survival of the fittest" when trying to reach their goals. This can be damaging because if the fittest's survival is emphasized I wouldn't take the weak's survival for granted. And it gives people an excuse to be sexually immoral since we are "nothing but mammals.". I would like to dispute these points as I feel they grossly misrepresent evolution, but since this is a restricted DIR I cannot. Would you mind if I made a thread addressing your quote in the religious debates section?
You can start a thread about it, but I just want to point out I'm not saying it causes those things, people were already looking for an excuse and they make evolution fit nicely into what they already wanted to do. And also it's not just a science issue but a philosophy one.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
I take it as seriously as fairies living in my garden with regards to how credible I believe it to be but I regard it as serious as cancer with regards to it's opposition to the bible.