• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should drugs be illegal?

Should drugs be illegal?

• yes

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • no

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • i do not care

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Many people use stimulants responsibly, sympathomimetic and otherwise. There are situations where increased alertness or energy are useful without being socially deleterious. Amphetamine is widely used to treat ADD in children. I can even imagine people using stimulants recreationally, for their euphoric effect, without undue harm.

Acknowledged, many get carried away. Many are harmed by impure drugs and unknown dosages, many by the association with criminals often needed to obtain the drugs, &c. But I wouldn't make a blanket statement that these pharmaceuticals have no redeeming value whatever.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Seyorni said:
Many people use stimulants responsibly, sympathomimetic and otherwise. There are situations where increased alertness or energy are useful without being socially deleterious. Amphetamine is widely used to treat ADD in children. I can even imagine people using stimulants recreationally, for their euphoric effect, without undue harm.

Acknowledged, many get carried away. Many are harmed by impure drugs and unknown dosages, many by the association with criminals often needed to obtain the drugs, &c. But I wouldn't make a blanket statement that these pharmaceuticals have no redeeming value whatever.
I'm sorry, I took your comment as a general statement of all drugs.

~Victor

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You were correct, Victor. It was a general statement. I was responding to your apparent observation that you'd never observed responsible users of meth[amphetamine].

I maintain that many people are able to use so-called "recreational" drugs in a responsible manner. Granted, many cannot, but as a radical freedomophile (how's that for a neologism!) I'm uncomfortable with a blanket prohibition.

Peace.

gayvin

marijuana should be legal

whether its illegal or not..people who smoke are going to smoke
making the drug illegal will not decrease the amount of people who do marijuana
people who does marijuana...when they think about quittin drugs..they dont quit because its illegal...they quit because they know its wrong

M

Majikthise

gayvin said:

people who does marijuana...when they think about quittin drugs..they dont quit because its illegal...they quit because they know its wrong
Good points :clap ,but I would change just one thing a little,...
" ...they quit because they know it's wrong for them."

Aqualung

Tasty
gayvin said:

That's the most rediculous argument ever! I hate it when people say to make things legal because lots of people do it even though it's illegal. Rape is illegal, but that doesn't stop anyone. Should we make rape legal, too? Rediculous.

Radar

I have to step in here. Aqualung you cannot compare drug use to rape. Your statement was REDICULOUS!!! I can’t see how me smoking marijuana would be the same as me forcing you to have sex. It just doesn't make any sense and is a very ignorant and stupid analogy.

It is like alcohol. It is legal to consume in your home or a place, which it is allowed. Now if go and get in a car and drive then you have committed a crime. I think the same should apply to other drugs too. Just think how safe government regulated drugs could be. Think of the revenue it could generate. Responsible drinking and drug use are victimless crimes. Meaning one is only cause harm to themselves. As soon as it becomes irresponsible that is when it be comes a crime i.e. driving, operating machinery, etc. It is like the seat belt law. Just another feel good law. I should have the right without penalty to choose to drive my car with or without my seat belt. But they tell me it saves lives. Who cares? It's my life worry about your own.

Now with all this ranting let me say I don't advocate the use drugs. I do advocate the right to choose. You choose what you think is best for you and I will choose what I think is best for me. But this would be my view because I am a Libertarian.

Aqualung

Tasty
Radar said:
I have to step in here. Aqualung you cannot compare drug use to rape. Your statement was REDICULOUS!!! I can’t see how me smoking marijuana would be the same as me forcing you to have sex. It just doesn't make any sense and is a very ignorant and stupid analogy.

Wait... were you who I quoted originally? Oh well...
You said that pot should be illegal because people who smoke it don't care if it's illegal or not, so making it illegal is just making criminals. People who rape don't care that it's illegal. If the only reason you have to make pot legal is because people don't care if it's illegal, might as well make rape legal, too!

Edit: I see that you weren't. Just change all the You to He and you'll be fine. Sorry.:bonk:

Aqualung

Tasty
Radar said:
It is like alcohol. It is legal to consume in your home or a place, which it is allowed. Now if go and get in a car and drive then you have committed a crime. I think the same should apply to other drugs too. Just think how safe government regulated drugs could be. Think of the revenue it could generate. Responsible drinking and drug use are victimless crimes. Meaning one is only cause harm to themselves. As soon as it becomes irresponsible that is when it be comes a crime i.e. driving, operating machinery, etc. It is like the seat belt law. Just another feel good law. I should have the right without penalty to choose to drive my car with or without my seat belt. But they tell me it saves lives. Who cares? It's my life worry about your own.

Now with all this ranting let me say I don't advocate the use drugs. I do advocate the right to choose. You choose what you think is best for you and I will choose what I think is best for me. But this would be my view because I am a Libertarian.
I agree with you on this. I'm libertarian as well (or maybe constituiton. I can't decide.) I don't think pot should be illegal. But I think it should be legal for the right reasons (small government) not some rediculous reason (people don't care if it's illegal).

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Radar said:

I agree that Aqualung went a bit far referring to rape, but I agree with the point about legalizing any drug. But I guess I am in the minority on that.

Whatever arguments one uses to try to disuade drug users (recreational ones) there is always the 'Oh, I know what I am doing; I am in full control' - that's always the story...

Murf661

KirbyFan101 said:
Depends on the drug, really. Marijuana should most definately be legal considering there are no risks to the responsible user.
No Risks?
Smoking marijuana regularly (a joint a day) can damage the cells in the bronchial passages which protect the body against inhaled microorganisms and decrease the ability of the immune cells in the lungs to fight off fungi, bacteria, and tumor cells. For patients with already weakened immune systems, this means an increase in the possibility of dangerous pulmonary infections, including pneumonia, which often proves fatal in AIDS patients.

Aswell as Paranoia...although thats funny in school, you can just steal their pen and move it and they dont notice.

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/evidence99/marijuana/Health_1.html

YamiB.

I do think that Maruijuana should be legalized as Alcohol does not have a chance of being made illegal and they are on the same level, about. For the more dangerous drugs I can't really come up with a desicion. Part of me says that it should be a person's choice what they do with their body even if that means destroying it. Another part of me says that letting something so dangerous out for easy use is not responsible especially considering that the person may no longer have a choice due to addiction.

Ryan2065

As soon as it becomes irresponsible that is when it be comes a crime i.e. driving, operating machinery, etc. It is like the seat belt law. Just another feel good law. I should have the right without penalty to choose to drive my car with or without my seat belt. But they tell me it saves lives. Who cares? It's my life worry about your own.
Just a quick note... The seat belt law is in there to protect other people, NOT you. If you didn't notice... when you are thrown from your car, you are a flying projectile. Also, when you arein the car and others are sitting by you, if you do not have your seat belt on you could very well be thrown into them and that force alone kill them.

I myself believe that drugs should be illegal. By this I mean all drugs (including alchol and ciagrettes.) If I cannot have my way then I suggest that the only illegal drugs should be those proven to be addictive. When a drug is addictive then this takes away your choice and makes you dependant on the drug. I would argue that you lose some liberties when you are addicted to any drug and because of that it should be illegal.

gtrsgrls

I wouldn't have anything against other people using drugs except for the fact that it usually influences other people.For instance,if a mom or dad does drugs it usually spreads to their children.Then their children start doing drugs and the cycle continues.

Fluffy

A fool
I agree with Aqualung fully. Make all drugs legal but do not divert any tax money to helping those who are trying to come off drugs... at least if they are adults.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
All drugs should be legal. For the harder drugs, there should always be a designated sitter present. To become a sitter, you have to pass a course.

I agree with Aqualung fully. Make all drugs legal but do not divert any tax money to helping those who are trying to come off drugs... at least if they are adults.
I disagree. If someone wants to come off drugs, part of the revenue gained from the tax imposed on the sale of drugs should be devoted to the benefit of these people. In this way, they pay for their own "recovery".

If you cause harm to those around you while high, you will no longer be allowed to use drugs; at all, except as prescribed by a physician. This will enforce the law that a sitter must be present, to avoid such problems.

Ryan2065

All drugs should be legal? Including the following?

PCP http://www.drugs.com/Phencyclidine/
PCP is addictive and its use often leads to psychological dependence, craving, and compulsive PCP-seeking behavior. Users of PCP report memory loss, difficulties with speech and learning, depression, and weight loss. These symptoms can persist up to a year after cessation of PCP use. PCP has sedative effects, and interactions with other central nervous system depressants, such as alcohol and benzodiazepines, can lead to coma or accidental overdose. Use of PCP among adolescents may interfere with hormones related to normal growth and development. Many PCP users are brought to emergency rooms because of PCP's unpleasant psychological effects or because of overdoses. In a hospital or detention setting, they often become violent or suicidal, and are very dangerous to themselves and to others. They should be kept in a calm setting and should not be left alone.

Heroin http://www.helem.net/drugs.htm
• Respiratory depression that can provoke a coma and eventually death .
• Heroine causes a strong dependence; psychic (causing a constant search for the product) and physical (state of lack).
• Risk of transmission of hepatitis and HIV if the straw or needle are shared.
• Causes a state of somnolence. It is not rare to fall asleep.
• It can stop all sexual desire and activity.
Just as a side note... Most heroin users would rather risk getting aids from a needle someone else used than not score a hit. This would lead me to believe if someone did not have the money for heroin, they would more than likely break the law for that money.

From the above site...

Cocaine
• Muscular cramps, fatigue, shivers, depressive feeling during regular use.
• Rise in the blood pressure and an increase in the rate of heartbeat and respiration.
• In injection, there is risk of overdosing and heart failure.
• Depression, anxiety, paranoia, aggression and a return to oneself, occur the days that follow. If you are already prone to psychiatric disorders, those risks are increased.
• In the large-scale consumers, there is a risk of repeated micro haemorrhages in the brain which in the long term create the risk of insanity.
• Significant consumption of cocaine during pregnancy exposes the foetus to dangers like: delay of growth, hypertension, vascular accidents, and even malformation.
• Risk of physical dependence.

GHB (aka the rape drug)
Side effects
• Amnesia
• Nausea
• Vomiting
• Central Depression
Remember, when you say all drugs should be legalized... You mean even the rape drugs, cocaine, heroin, and pcp.

To me anything that creates a dependance from the person takes that persons right to choose away and therefore should be illegal. Plus, if you make it legal, then you will increase the chance that under-aged people will get the drugs (be honest, how many of you have tried smoking or drinking before you were legal)

I have not seen any good arguments for making these drugs legal yet...

Kowalski

Ryan2065 said:
Just a quick note... The seat belt law is in there to protect other people, NOT you. If you didn't notice... when you are thrown from your car, you are a flying projectile. Also, when you arein the car and others are sitting by you, if you do not have your seat belt on you could very well be thrown into them and that force alone kill them.

I myself believe that drugs should be illegal. By this I mean all drugs (including alchol and ciagrettes.) If I cannot have my way then I suggest that the only illegal drugs should be those proven to be addictive. When a drug is addictive then this takes away your choice and makes you dependant on the drug. I would argue that you lose some liberties when you are addicted to any drug and because of that it should be illegal.
Dude, your never going to have your way. Drugs have being around since men first learnt about the effects of ingesting many plant types. Your a real kill joy ain't ya ? If I want to smoke and drink,that' my buisness, I don't need a nanny state telling me what I can do and what I can't. You don't appear to understand the difference between addiction and dependency ? .

Cheers

K

nutshell

Kowalski said:
Dude, your never going to have your way. Drugs have being around since men first learnt about the effects of ingesting many plant types. Your a real kill joy ain't ya ? If I want to smoke and drink,that' my buisness, I don't need a nanny state telling me what I can do and what I can't. You don't appear to understand the difference between addiction and dependency ? .

Cheers

K
But if your behavior starts affecting others then you do need a nanny state telling you what to do because you're not responsible enough on your own.