• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should displaying Confederate symbols be illegal in the United States?

Should displaying Confederate symbols be illegal in the United States?

• Yes, we should have a universal ban on display of Confederate symbols.

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Only government-sponsored displays should be banned.

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • No. The U.S. Constitution guarantees expression of unpopular and even odious ideas.

Votes: 39 67.2%
  • No. We should be proud of symbols of Confederacy

Votes: 6 10.3%

• Total voters

DreamQuickBook

huajiro said:
My whole life revolves around not affected others negatively. This is very important if we are to live together. I am on the planet also. If you don't consider how you affect me, you have a problem.

But it isn't my problem. It doesn't seem to bother me in the least. The problem, as I understand it, is yours. There is no law or rule or reason why I should have to acknow;edge your existence or bow down to your sensitivities. I certainly don't ask that you acknowledge mine, or that you worry about my sensitivities.

jewscout said:
how can you not? did you expect everyone to have the same opinion as you? We all see things differently, some of those differences may be more extreme than others...

It isn't that I don't understand that there will be differences of opinion. I fully expect there to be differences of opinion. Most of the time, I can understand where people are coming from. Just not in this case. There are religious nuts out there that want to get rid of the internet because they fear the spread of satanic ideals. I just don't understand how people can go from one thought to the next and come to such conclusions. I fully respect people's rights to have other opinions and I usually enjoy debates where I can see the other persons point of view and understand them. I just don't understand ya'lls line of thinking. :) It's my problem. Not yours. I wish I could understand... it'd make for a better debate.

Doc

Space Chief
Well, I'm no history buff as hard as I may try, but I recall Deleware and Maryland both being in the Union? And I weren't these both slave states...?

Anyway, the reason the North did not need slaves was because they had become much more industrial where as the south was agricultural. Some Northerners opposed slavery and were critical of the south but most probably didn't care. Many southerners defended slavery by saying that the North treated their workers in factories even worse than the south treated slaves.

The goal of the south in the war was to be out of the union. A seperate country. Lincoln wanted the Confederacy to be gone completely and to keep the all the states united.

In conclusion, I see nothing wrong with the confederate flag. Being in Ohio, I can't be connected to it as many in the south are. I'm sure some of them see it as part of their family history and country, a symbol of pride and rebellion. Independence...

Fluffy

A fool
But it isn't my problem. It doesn't seem to bother me in the least. The problem, as I understand it, is yours. There is no law or rule or reason why I should have to acknow;edge your existence or bow down to your sensitivities. I certainly don't ask that you acknowledge mine, or that you worry about my sensitivities.
I think that is fair enough. If the deal is to respect anothers sensitivities and in return you get your own respected, and that isn't for you, then you should not be forced to accept that. People should only be forced if they decide to take advantages or harm others. You are doing neither.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
I know I am entering this disscussion very late...I have a Confederate flag, and when I look upon it, I don't see a symbol of slavery, but a symbol of heritage. I am proud to be Southern, and I am proud that my ancestors fought for the South. I am therefore proud of the flag they fought under. Here in Tennessee, we are proud of these things. My policy of "If you don't like it, don't look at it," goes for this, too.

It is a free country, and I can fly whatever I please on a flag pole. I can wear my "American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God" and "If this flag offends you, you need a history lesson" t-shirts. And that is the beauty of America.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
While I appreciate where you're coming from, Christiangirl, I also grew up in the South. I consider it a symbol of the oppression of a group, and not the proud symbol of anyone's heritage.

I don't think anyone should make displaying the Confederate symbol illegal. As has been noted, it's a free country. There are so many other wonderful examples of the beauty of the heritage of the South, though. Why use one that's traditionally been used to glorify racism?

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Like I said, it's the flag my ancestors fought under. It is a symbol of our history. We can't try to please everyone.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Christiangirl0909 said:
Like I said, it's the flag my ancestors fought under. It is a symbol of our history. We can't try to please everyone.
yes it is a symbol of our history (i live in the capital of the confederacy it's a little hard to ignore it) but to pretend that the desire to maintain the institution of slavery and white supremacy was not THE main motivating factor of Seccession (not the WAR but SECCESSION) is, IMPO, to ignore much of the primary documentation (which has been shown on this thread) of the time that says otherwise.

opensoul7

No it should not be banned, only because it is a violation of your constitutional rights.We have great freedom here in the U.S among those are the freedoms to be ignorant , and act like a a--hole, and to display those traits loudly and everywhere.If youso choose to display your ignorance in that fashion it is your right to do so .

pdoel

No, it shouldn't be banned. That's what the US is all about. Like it or not, we have freedoms. Even if it's the freedom to be stupid.

Personally, I have to laugh when I see a confederate flag being displayed. Granted, I live in Pennsylvania, so it is odd to see them up here, but I do see them. I just want to grab these people and inform them of a couple things.

1. We're the North!
  2. GET OVER IT!

Considering what the confederate flag stands for, I feel it's very innappropriate. Not only does it stand for the division of the country, but it is also a symbol of prejudice. I think displaying it is a horrible thing. But, we do have those freedoms in this country.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
pdoel said:
...Considering what the confederate flag stands for...
If there's one thing I took from this thread the first time it was beaten to death;), is that it stands for different things to different people, and who are any of us to tell someone else what to believe?

I'd have to go back and read what I posted many months ago, but I probably haven't changed my mind on the issue.:jiggy:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If a person espouses an odious position on a subject I want him to feel free to air it openly and invite discussion of opposing points of view.

Outlawing open expression of unpopular positions creates secretive, underground movements, rarely exposed to opposing arguments.
Such underground movements/organizations are much more injurious to social order than a handful of disgruntled malcontents.

pdoel

CaptainXeroid said:
If there's one thing I took from this thread the first time it was beaten to death;), is that it stands for different things to different people, and who are any of us to tell someone else what to believe?
This is true. However, given the fact that for most, it means not so nice things, that should be taken into consideration.

Look at the Swastika. It was around for 3,000 years, and until the Nazis used it, it mostly was meant for good. It was a sign of life.

If I were to display one, I could say it means something good to me. But most would see it as something evil. Sometimes, I think good judgement should be used when making these types of decisions. Knowing full well that the general view of the confederate flag is not a positive one, just because it might have a good meaning to a few, use your judgement, and realize it's going to offend many.

A

angellous_evangellous

I hate seeing the Confederate flag.

Some Southerners who fly it honestly think that black people fought willingly for slavery because they were members of the family. Uncle Tom's Cabin is Yankee propaganda, and the Flag is a sign of freedom - states' freedom, that is. Some areas of Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi would still have slaves if it were legal. What a twisted and backward worldview.

Radar

I voted that Only government-sponsored displays should be banned(which they are). Everyone has the freedom of speech and our government is for the people by the people and should not disciminate against anyone. I don't personally like the display and would never allow it to be displayed on any of my property but others have the right to express themselves in accordance with the law.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

The Confederate Flag is about more than just being pro-slavery. For many southerners it is kind of a symbol of southern pride. Now granted, there are a ton of people in the south that would likely vote slavery back in, given a chance, but not all of them, and not all that hang the confederate flag feel that way either.

And just because you find something offensive doesn't mean you get to ban it or make it illegal. I personally despise lots of things that are perfectly legal, tho offensive to me, and I would fight anyone who tried to infringe on 1st amendment rights to take those items away, even if I personally despise them.

If you love freedom, you have to love it for everybody, not just those who feel the same way you do. Don't be so quick to give away the KKK's right to wear the hood, or the Black Panther's right to shout how much they hate whitey, you keep giving other people's rights away, and eventually they are going to come after something you, personally do care about, and there will be nobody left to stand beside you for a cause you do care about.

B.

Flappycat

I don't find it nearly as offensive as ridiculous. It's really stupid. The Confederate Navy Jack represents a country that doesn't exist anymore. The ideals the country was founded on weren't particularly good ones, and the politicians who formed it were jackasses. Thank you for playing. It's not that I'm against secession as a matter of principle, of course, but the Confederates were complete dicks. The only thing that should be illegal, though, is trying to pass stupid laws just because you're as incapable of letting go of the past as the dupe who put it up.

wmam

Maize said:
Are you saying that those who fought under that flag were not fighting to keep their slaves? Do you not recognize that to some people it is offensive and threatening to fly that flag? Do you even care?
Did not those in the north also have slaves during this charade?

wmam

Look................... This is soooooooooooooooo funny and has gotten soooooooooo old.

Funny how some just believe whatever they want to when there is no proof what so ever to back it up. I'm not talking about religion or your spiritual beliefs. That has to do with faith.

This is history and it has been dragged down the path and drowned in lies and deceit.

The confederate flag never was flown on a slave ship but the U.S. Flag was so are we going to discontinue it? LOL yeah right.

Slavery wasn't even a real issue in this war until after 3 years into it. Thats when the big lie of the emancipation proclamation was put into effect by ol'Abe. This only freed the slaves in those Confederate held territories and nothing to free those of the north.

Look people........ just go on and believe the lie's that you want to and do as you please just please leave me out of it. I'm waiting on the Rapture and the sooner the better. Away with all this foolishness. Really......... is anyone still alive that lived back then? No. So it's behind us. Lets move on with the future and the things that actually are for good instead of rehashing and reliving something none of us were around to even speak about with anything other than the victors twist on history with the help of allot of liberal thought. YAH please help us............