• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should committed same-sex relationships be recognized by the government?

Should committed same-sex relationships be recognized by the government?

• Yes, with full-fledged marriage equal in all ways to heterosexual marriage

Votes: 88 69.8%
  • Yes, with a "civil union" that gives some legal benefits, but not as many as marriage

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • No official or legal recognition

Votes: 23 18.3%
  • I don't know/other

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
osuwagner said:
Personally, it does not matter to me which route you take, as long as there are no double standards in the logic. It should not matter to any couple whether they are "officially" married or not, because if they truly love each other, then they need not have an official "seal of approval" by the government.
Unfortunately, it's not just about tax breaks. That "seal of approval" is the difference between being recognised as my partner's next of kin, when she is sick or injured in hospital, or being denied the right to see her, because currently, in the eyes of the law, I am not her next of kin. That "seal of approval" (if recognised on a Federal level), would do wonders for the hundreds of bi-national couples, who are currently kept apart, because their partners cannot sponsor them for immigration. Yes, there are other ways to immigrate, but they have become 100 times harder since 9/11. Yet heterosexual couples can simply marry their partners and ship them on over. This is about love, not about tax breaks.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Henry said:
The Bible is very clear in stating homosexuality as a sin.

According to the same Bible, about 50 other things are just as 'sinful,' and that's if one decides to go with the Bible as a standard of what is moral and what is not.

If I'm going to be condemned for allowing my neighbor to plant two types of crops in the same field, I might as well be condemned for allowing them to marry who they want. (And I'm in Iowa! You know how many same-sex farmers we have!)

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Ceridwen018 said:
Well said dolly, I agree.

Catholicism will never be forced to recognize gay marriages...QUOTE]

True. They will however recognize each and every one of Jennifer Lopez's marriages - despite the fact there's basically a lawyer waiting to serve the groom as he's carrying her over the threshold - because one day she might have kiddies with whoever the flavour of the minute happens to be at that time, and that would be good. Far better than a committed homosexual couple who have stuck together through thick and thin for years and raised happy and well adjusted children.
Using that example I can understand how legislating for marriage between a man and a woman to be the only legally recognized form of union is furthering the good of society.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Henry said:
I gotta hurry, I'm on lunch. The question I have is, if homosexuality is okay, and unions should be recognized, then why can't homosexual "couples" pro-create? (have children) I believe there is a two part answer to this question. (oh yeah, the Bible has alot to do with this discussion Dolly)1. As quoted in a previous post, Romans 1 says that God gave them up to vile affections (not love) because men and women were engaging in homosexual sex. 2. Again using nature as the model, if animals engaged in homosexuality, they would eventually cease to exist, as no offspring would come out of it. Gotta go, I'll answer some of the other questions later.

Using nature as a model...hmmm. OK. The common garden snail has both male and female reproductive organs. They repropduce sexually, with both snails serving a dual role as both male and female...that's probably why there are so many of the little buggers getting around.

When a new male lion takes over the pride, he kills all the cubs of his predecessor. Makes a sound argument for second husbands to kill the children of their spouse;bearing in mind we're using nature as a model here.

The Barramundi (it's an Australian fish). They are all born male. When they reach a certain level of maturity they change sex and become female. Roll on up the transgendered...here's a NATURAL incidence of sex change. Using nature as a model then, for someone who outwardly appears male to want a sex change operation just means that there's been some problem with whatever the natural trigger is to cause the change to happen by itself.

I know I've gotten a little off topic here, but nature is a diverse and wonderful thing, and seriously, I don't think you can take the 'it's not the way nature intended' stance on the one hand, whilst in the other brandishing a book that tells us we are above the animals you're using as a model.

Pah

Uber all member
lady_lazarus said:
I don't think you can take the 'it's not the way nature intended' stance on the one hand, whilst in the other brandishing a book that tells us we are above the animals you're using as a model.

Very well put!!!!

-pah-

Pah

Uber all member
alan said:
Henry, I appreciate your comments and totally agree.

Welcome Alan, on your first post - and such a hot topic!

Henry said:
I think you must remember that this Nation was founded on christian principles, and (unfortunatley) over the years has regressed into a secular government.
Now, studies have confirmed that children do better in a natural family setting. By natural, I mean one father, and one mother. We can see this is true even with animals. The thing is, children need both a mother, and a father to do well, and mature normally.
Lastly, the main reason that homosexuals want their unions to be recognized is for health benifits, etc. I truly believe it has very little to do with love, and is more like lust. I thought (before I got married) that I was in love many times, but the truth is that I was simply being satisfied sexually. Now, I'm trully in love. (with my wife) That's all for now.

Unfortunetly there are errors of fact in Henry's post.

• The US was founded on common law.
  • Studies have shown that in nature there is a diverse family structure not just the one male/one female mode. Many have a "wife" only for the season - and even some only for the sex act itself - many families are harems.
  • The main reason is commitment to a loving partner.
-pah-

skills101

Vicar of Christ
Welcome to the forum, Henry, and good luck.

Henry said:
I personally am opposed to homosexual unions, and unlike some people, see recognizing homosexual unions as regressive, not progressive. I am a christian, and I believe 100% in the word of God. The Bible is very clear in stating homosexuality as a sin.
And supposedly, your god gave people freedom of choice. Don't take away what your religion embraces. Because not everyone is a Christian, and not everyone finds homosexuality a sin.

Henry said:
I think you must remember that this Nation was founded on christian principles, and (unfortunatley) over the years has regressed into a secular government.
I've a copy of the U.S. Constitution right in front of me. Please point out where it says "God" in there. Check your facts.

Now, studies have confirmed that children do better in a natural family setting. By natural, I mean one father, and one mother. We can see this is true even with animals. The thing is, children need both a mother, and a father to do well, and mature normally.
Please cite your sources. "Studies have shown..." has never been an acceptable phrase on my ears...

Lastly, the main reason that homosexuals want their unions to be recognized is for health benifits, etc. I truly believe it has very little to do with love, and is more like lust. I thought (before I got married) that I was in love many times, but the truth is that I was simply being satisfied sexually. Now, I'm trully in love. (with my wife) That's all for now.
Or maybe, just like you, they found someone they trully love and followed their hearts. Listen, I don't understand how a man can fall in love with another man or a woman with another woman, but it happens, so instead of pushing it away, let's embrace this newfound union.

The question I have is, if homosexuality is okay, and unions should be recognized, then why can't homosexual "couples" pro-create? (have children) I believe there is a two part answer to this question. (oh yeah, the Bible has alot to do with this discussion Dolly)
I'm unhappy, everybody got to this question before I did! But, repeating what others said, procreation is not a requirement of any marriage! And to stress what dolly said, this is NOT a Christian country. To me, everything you and every Christian repeats in the Bible is "blah, blah, blah, blah, and blah."

skills101

Vicar of Christ
SOGFPP said:
We will do this in our teaching and preaching, but also in our public policy advocacy at the state and national levels and in the important dialogue about how best to protect marriage and the common good in the U.S. Constitution and in our society as a whole. We offer general support for a Federal Marriage Amendment to the U.S. Constitution as we continue to work to protect marriage in state legislatures, the courts, the Congress and other appropriate forums. Thus, we strongly oppose any legislative and judicial attempts, both at state and federal levels, to grant same-sex unions the equivalent status and rights of marriage --by naming them marriage, civil unions or by other means.
My friend, you're simply pushing religion down people's throat. I have to stress this, not every homosexual is a Christian, not every person is bound by your rules. Your god supposedly gave people freedom of choice, so let them practice it! Unless there is proof that homosexual relationships hurt the world more than heterosexual relationships do, then I've yet to agree with your argument.

cardero

Citizen Mod
The commitment of same sex REALationships is already recognized by GOD I think the only thing that is holding them back from becoming more widespread is the recognition from the government. I think same sex couples should have the same consideration and respect as heterosexual couples or inter-racial couples.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Here's my 2 cents,
I beleive that homosexual couples should be given a secular institution, call it civil unions or whatever, where they are given all the exact same legal protection and benefits of a heterosexual couple, just don't call it marriage. Marriage is as much a religious institution as it is a legal one. I don't think any religious group should be forced to marry couples of the same sex if it is against their beliefs. Heterosexual couples can be "married" in a legal secular ceremony at a courthouse, homosexuals should be given a similar thing. What we shouldn't do is force people to accept something they aren't going to. This isn't as simple as the civil rights movement or women's rights were. People are quoting verbatum from the Book of Leviticus and using it as justification for not only denying homosexuals the rights of marriage but also denying them humanity on many levels.
Look same sex couples should be allowed to have equal legal protection, the right to raise children if they are found to be as fit as any heterosexual couple (cause i don't care if your gay or straight if ya ain't fit to raise a child you shouldn't be given one PERIOD), but understand that many religious groups won't accept them as "married" in the traditional sense. Look, i say allow them civil unions and if you can find a rabbi or priest or pastor or imam or whatever to administer the ceremony as opposed to a judge or secular administrator more power to you but don't FORCE the religions of this government to do something that is against their practices. Government is not supposed to be in the business of religion and vice versa.
Heterosexual couples can be turned away from a church and not allowed to use their facilities or have the church's minister perform the service and that's the churches perogative. Why should it be any different for Homosexual couples?

One more thing not to be a jacka$$ or anything but if you're going to allow people of the same sex to be married why don't we allow ALL unions? I mean, i can love my dog can't i? What about polygamy? Should a bi-sexual woman be allowed to marry a man and a woman at the same time? Or a bi-sexual man? You may think that's a ridiculous thing to say but think about it, a century ago would that not have been the reaction of "middle America" to the question of same-sex marriage?
Look i'm all about equal rights but you can't force the religious establishments of this country to perform ANY ceremony that goes against their beliefs which is why i think a secular institution with equal rights as marriage should be established. We aren't talking about the integration of secular government institutions like the military and schools this is religion and i'm compeled to bring up the First Amendment:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
People (including myself) make a big stink when religion pokes its nose into secular institutions like schools crying "seperation of Church and State". Now when the tables are reversed, the state intervening in the church those same people don't see the double standard.

maggie2

We need to move into the 21st century and get over homophobia. Homosexuals should have the right to marry just like hetrosexuals do.

sivamaya

r
u in the real world :biglaugh:

queers are here
and we aint going away:162:

stop using your text translations[bible] from
the god of love
as a rationale to :149: benefit your prejudices

how would straight people feel if the tables were turned
our godhead appeared and said you were

Blah Blah and we are appointed to invalidate your lives

love knows no boundaries or conditions
CHRISTIANS:biglaugh:

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
jewscout said:
Here's my 2 cents,
I beleive that homosexual couples should be given a secular institution, call it civil unions or whatever, where they are given all the exact same legal protection and benefits of a heterosexual couple, just don't call it marriage.

To be honest, I'm sick of this argument. I don't want to be civil unioned. I want to get married. Don't like it? Tough turkey.

Marriage is as much a religious institution as it is a legal one.

You know, that's the funny part. Some religions do recognize homosexual marriage as marriage. Whoops, there goes that argument.

I don't think any religious group should be forced to marry couples of the same sex if it is against their beliefs.

This I agree to. Which is why I'm glad there are gay-supporting Christian churches out there that would be more than happy to marry homosexual couples.

Heterosexual couples can be "married" in a legal secular ceremony at a courthouse, homosexuals should be given a similar thing.

And a religious ceremony, just like heterosexual couples. Before anyone jumps me, I don't mean it has to be Christian. Though I'm sure there are no few Christians out there willing to perform a religious ceremony for homosexuals.

What we shouldn't do is force people to accept something they aren't going to.

You can't force someone to accept anything. All that can be done is education. Ignorance < Intelligence.

This isn't as simple as the civil rights movement or women's rights were.

'Simple as the civil rights movement'? How is it NOT simple? We deserve rights. Period. People will disagree with it, but that doesn't mean we don't deserve them.

People are quoting verbatum from the Book of Leviticus and using it as justification for not only denying homosexuals the rights of marriage but also denying them humanity on many levels.

Which is a sick and disgusting thing, and shows they don't have the intelligence to make their own argument.

Look same sex couples should be allowed to have equal legal protection, the right to raise children if they are found to be as fit as any heterosexual couple (cause i don't care if your gay or straight if ya ain't fit to raise a child you shouldn't be given one PERIOD), but understand that many religious groups won't accept them as "married" in the traditional sense.

Considering the amount of people that don't accept homosexuals PERIOD, I don't think that really matters right now. It isn't a matter of getting accepting, it's a matter of getting rights.

Look, i say allow them civil unions and if you can find a rabbi or priest or pastor or imam or whatever to administer the ceremony as opposed to a judge or secular administrator more power to you but don't FORCE the religions of this government to do something that is against their practices. Government is not supposed to be in the business of religion and vice versa.

Except for the civil unions part, I agree with you. The government has no business telling churches how to do things. Unless you've got something like the Catholic priest stuff going on.

One more thing not to be a jacka$$ or anything but if you're going to allow people of the same sex to be married why don't we allow ALL unions? I mean, i can love my dog can't i? What about polygamy? Should a bi-sexual woman be allowed to marry a man and a woman at the same time? Or a bi-sexual man?

Not to be a 'jacka$$,' but you succeeded at being one. That argument is the weakest one against gay marriage in existence. I think it's been beaten to death several times earlier in this thread, but I'll repeat it.

Here, I'll even do it in big letters to get the point across.

GAY MARRIAGE WOULD BE THE UNION OF TWO (COUNT EM, TWO) CONSENTING ADULTS. NOT MANY, NOT A MAN AND A DOG, TWO MEN OR TWO WOMEN.

Clear enough for you? Do I need to use smaller words? A bigger font?

And on a sidenote, bisexual does not mean polygamous.

You may think that's a ridiculous thing to say but think about it, a century ago would that not have been the reaction of "middle America" to the question of same-sex marriage?

And what would their reaction to women or blacks voting be? Or maybe their reaction to a white man and a black woman marrying? I doubt they would have reacted well. Well, guess that settles it! Time to take away black and women's rights.

People (including myself) make a big stink when religion pokes its nose into secular institutions like schools crying "seperation of Church and State". Now when the tables are reversed, the state intervening in the church those same people don't see the double standard.

See, that's the thing. Marriage isn't only religious, nor is it only Christian. Since you don't like the government telling churches how to do things, would you be okay with them letting two gay neo-pagans marry under the ceremony of a high priest or priestess and get marriage benefits?

Wow, that all came out angrier than I intended. My apologies. I blame it on the impending election. ;)

Reactions: Pah

huajiro

Henry said:
I personally am opposed to homosexual unions, and unlike some people, see recognizing homosexual unions as regressive, not progressive. I am a christian, and I believe 100% in the word of God. The Bible is very clear in stating homosexuality as a sin.
Some might say that I'm "homophobic", but the truth is, I'm pro-family.
"The Bible is very clear in stating homosexuality as a sin" is not a very good argument. Just as "My Uncle Bob says gay marriage is the wave of the future" is not either. Considering that that the world is overpopulated, and that homosexual couples can make great parents, I would not call homosexual unions "regressive". Imagine, we could allow the homosexual couples to adopt all the unwanted children in the world!!!!!!!

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Imagine, we could allow the homosexual couples to adopt all the unwanted children in the world!!!!!!!
At least they'd be somewhere with people who will love and appreciate them.

huajiro

Let's allow the homosexuals to decide what happens in their lives. How are we supposed to make decisions that affect something we have nothing to do with? As far as I am concerned, everyone in our society is equal and deserves to have the exact same rights.

Trinity

There is a definition to marriage. It is the joining of a man a woman for the love of one another and the procreation of children. This is not an exact definition however it has been in place for thousands of years. Civil unions are the term for homosexual couples. What is the problem. If people are so opposed to the establishment, why do they need their relationship blessed by it?