• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Christians support progressive tax systems?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Well, if its a government designed by God himself, it would have to be the ideal, nicht wahr?
Nah, according to 1 Samuel 8, YHVH only begrudgingly let Israel have a king, because they wanted to. So, the ideal was to have no government, only judges, or, basically, anarchism.
A very interesting part of the bible that is widely unknown. Priests and pastors would never tell their flock about it, but focus on later passages that only tell them that a hierarchy is god-ordained. The long tradition of the church colluding with the ruling class (or sometimes becoming the ruling class), doesn't want you to know.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Nah, according to 1 Samuel 8, YHVH only begrudgingly let Israel have a king, because they wanted to.
Yes, Israel was given the freedom to decide whether they wanted a king or not.

But getting back to the government that God is said to have designed, it is run by the Levites and Judges. Although Levites are hereditary, Judges earn their position with their knowledge of Jewish law. IOW a meritocracy. That sounds like a pretty ideal government to me.
So, the ideal was to have no government, only judges, or, basically, anarchism.
Excuse me? Having Judges IS a government. Wow, I can't believe you even said that.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Yes, Israel was given the freedom to decide whether they wanted a king or not.

But getting back to the government that God is said to have designed, it is run by the Levites and Judges. Although Levites are hereditary, Judges earn their position with their knowledge of Jewish law. IOW a meritocracy. That sounds like a pretty ideal government to me.

Excuse me? Having Judges IS a government. Wow, I can't believe you even said that.
Having Judges is one third of a government, so not really a government. Without a legislative and an executive, there is no "ruler". Judges are compatible with anarchism, anarchism is absence of government, not absence of law.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Having Judges is one third of a government,
It depends on the nation or tribe. There are some cultures who have a government made up of warrior leaders, or sometimes the tribe's grandmothers (you have a lot more flexibility with smaller groups). When the judges are in charge of all interpretation of laws, as well as the investigation, trial, and sentencing of offenders, that can be the complete government of the people, including Ancient Israel.