• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SHOULD CHRISTIANS SUPPORT HOMOSEXUALITY?

Hi guys, much as happened within our society over the past few years. Many have claimed one side or the other when it comes to homosexuality and the Bible. In this video, I give some statements about each side of the scope and discuss them a bit. I hope it help and maybe gives a new perspective.

Ellen Brown

Hi guys, much as happened within our society over the past few years. Many have claimed one side or the other when it comes to homosexuality and the Bible. In this video, I give some statements about each side of the scope and discuss them a bit. I hope it help and maybe gives a new perspective.

The Bible speaks for itself and I do not need you to interpret it for me. Though I am pretty sure that Jesus' own words preclude me from condemning others. As to judging anyone, again that is God's job and to my recollection, he has not asked for my help. There are those who think I'm gay or something, though I have done nothing at all, EVER. They can just **** off.

Jos

Sorry, but that is one tough video to watch. Rambling, repetitive, and sometimes near incoherent. Had to bail at the 3:30 mark.

'
That's kinda mean, man. I'm sure there was at the very least one good thing about the video.

Ellen Brown

One day the shoe will be on your foot and you'll need a break.

This whole topic hinges on the question on if gay people are"born this way". Since according to scripture being gay is a sin and the bible repeatedly says one can overcome sin than people are NOT " born this way" therefore scriptually speaking they are simply people who wont change there ways and there is no reason for a christian to support them.

P.S. i know some people will insist they truly feel they were born gay but my response is jeremiah 17:9.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Since according to scripture being gay is a sin and the bible repeatedly says one can overcome sin than people are NOT " born this way" therefore scriptually speaking they are simply people who wont change there ways and there is no reason for a christian to support them.
In main I agree. As blood hockey wrong as the Bible is, this is its message.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This whole topic hinges on the question on if gay people are"born this way". Since according to scripture being gay is a sin and the bible repeatedly says one can overcome sin than people are NOT " born this way" therefore scriptually speaking they are simply people who wont change there ways and there is no reason for a christian to support them.

P.S. i know some people will insist they truly feel they were born gay but my response is jeremiah 17:9.

I don't see the connection between being "born this way" and "sin".

That's like saying that you chose to drink because you are born to drink. If you aren't born to drink, does that mean you can't drink? If you weren't born to drink, does that prevent you to drinking?

What's the connection between born/genes and action/choice? (According to scripture)

Edit. Does scripture mention that one's action is connected to one's genes?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

The Bible is not notable among scientifically literate people as a creditable source of scientific understanding.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It puzzles me why any genuinely spiritual person would think their neighbor's homosexuality was of some spiritual concern to them. Perhaps it might be to a homosexual -- but only in as much as one's own sexuality can be of some spiritual concern to anyone. But that your neighbor's sexuality is your spiritual concern sounds strange to me.

Ellen Brown

Religious books are there to help us manage our own lives, not to critique and snipe at the life of another. Such talk comes from satan.

Ellen Brown

It puzzles me why any genuinely spiritual person would think their neighbor's homosexuality was of some spiritual concern to them. Perhaps it might be to a homosexual -- but only in as much as one's own sexuality can be of some spiritual concern to anyone. But that your neighbor's sexuality is your spiritual concern sounds strange to me.

I think it is satan speaking.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

It's because of not knowing (or maybe medically ignorant for lack of better words) on how one's genes, culture, and sex are not always the same for every person regardless their sexual attraction.

Another is not realizing that one's sex is not a salvation issue. So, the emphasis on one's sexual orientation (if they understand what it is) is totally unimportant to one's relationship with christ.

It's also saying sexual attraction is a preference. Which would mean all of us humans don't have biological attractions. Those of us who do, nature only selected straight attractions as if nature knows the difference (is bias) between who is male or female.

Lots of reasons. That, and I kinda wish a anti-homosexual christian would look deeper into what their bible actually says about homosexuality. The context. The culture. The definition. It's like fighting a fight with the wrong or invisible enemy.

Ellen Brown

When I was a very new Christian, I can remember being involved in conversations like this. A lifetime later, having been forced to deal with my own sin nature, and being at the mercy of other Christians, I know better. If I did so now, perhaps God would strike me down?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The speaker suggests loud preaching of truth is more loving than singing and tries to back this up by quoting from I Corinthians 13:6 "...Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth..." completely ignoring every other surrounding verse. This is the definition of cherry picking, grasping for that one verse which can be made to agree with a gut feeling.

The passage in 1Corthinthians 13:6 says that love rejoices with the truth, indicating love comes first and truth follows after. The cart must follow after the horse. If I could put it into a nutshell biblical Christianity would be about loving first and trusting God's truth to shine down.

In general the video seems in denial of the fundamental rock upon which Christianity is built, that God reveals wisdom to individuals. "Man has not revealed this to you but my Father in heaven, and upon this rock I will build my church." The builders reject this, because they don't like the rock not made with hands from Daniel's vision. They want to build systems: systems of belief and systems of rules and systems of systems. They trust in systems and inertia.

The passage begins by saying if I speak in the tongues of angels and have not love I am nothing. How much further from the point can you get? "Love rejoices with the truth" not "love enforces the truth." Corinthians 13 goes on to say that knowledge will pass away but love never fails. Compare with James 1 which says we walk in the light which shines down upon us and that if anyone needs wisdom they should ask God. Compare with 1Corinthians 8:1 which says "Knowledge puffs up but love builds up..." In fact the Bible and particularly Jesus in the gospels teaches that corruption flows from the hearts of people, that our words can't be trusted. How can someone overlook this? Its the stumbling stone Jesus mentions. "Let God be true and every man a liar." It is wrong to say that speaking truth to someone is a superior expression of love. "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds nor moveth with the remover to remove." (Shakespeare)

Builders: Instead of letting God produce leadership in their midst they choose a main leader. Its all about systems, and so they can't accept the rock. I don't exclude any denomination from this failing though some have named themselves and need no pointing out. "Systematic theology" "Methodism" "Lutheranisms" etc. If homosexuals start doing something unexpected, then woah the builders have to build them out; or if people are getting drunk on alcohol they have to outlaw it. Its a lack of belief rather than belief which guides this thinking that we have to combat falsehoods with words. It is a halfassed return to living by the law. It is the essence of "having a form of godliness without the power thereof."(2Tim 3:5)

Standing up for what you believe is of course right. You don't have to make others do it for you, and you don't even have to tell them what to do. You only have to show them how to live, but that is not what people want to do. That stone they reject.

James 1:16 "Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The Bible is pretty clear that it does not tolerate homosexuals, going as far to call for their death and proclaim their blood on their hands. The Christians supporting homosexuals are the ones having to twist things around some, as at the absolute best they can resort to Jesus saying to judge not and look to when Jesus healed the Roman Centurion's gay lover as an indication they are to treat homosexuals like any other person but the Bible is also explicitly clear homosexual sex is an abomination before Jehovah.

Of course! Ancient superstitions must take the place of actual studies and hard data and knowledge that has been acquired over the past few thousand years.
It doesn't matter, according to the Bible if someone is born that way or not. We know, because we have actually studied the subject instead of just taking the ancient words of primitive semi-nomadic tribes, that some people are born with a predisposition towards being rebellious and oppositional, yet the Bible calls for the execution of rebellious children. We know because we have since learned it helps to listen instead of judge, that risky sexual behaviors can be a symptom of a mental illness, yet the Bible calls for the execution of adulterers, no excuses, reasons, ifs, ands, or buts. They die. "They know not what they do," yet Jehovah showed through his savage and brutal wrath that he doesn't care about all that.