• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Addiction Illegal Substances be Treated as a Disease or Crime?

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
What country puts people to death for using drugs? Are you sure capital punishment is the term you're looking for?

Galen.Iksnudnard

I'm more inclined to think that it's a medical condition, rather than a crime.

I do think, however, that the question is ill-posed because ideally there should not be any "illegal" or "legal" substances at least for the purposes of prosecution. Sound medical advice may, however dictate whether certain substances should be sold or not.

narcotics and other 'drugs' are not only harmful to the self but also to society
Like guns and cars and many other things, harm caused is dependent on the conditions of usage.

Many drugs are illegal for recreational purposes but may also be highly beneficial for their therapeutic effects. Others are harmful because they are illegal; whether it be contamination of product through lack of regulation, or ignorance surrounding use due to a lack of available information.

I fall on the side of treating addiction as a disease, #1.

niceguy

Before judging addicts, keep in mind that some addiction comes involuntary. Morphine addiction due to pain treatment is a an example. The world wars left lot's of wounded soldiers in a state of addiction. Deliberately created addiction are also a way to control other people, this is common in cases of human trafficking.