• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Short story about communism; Acts 4:32

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If people are free, they can always found a new, a better company, and reject the evil enterprise. Also, if people are free, they can stop buying stuff from the evil company. If someone controls all, the system is not free. If people are free, they can walk away from exploiters.
No, it's not always possible to found a new company. There are financial and temporal problems, and most markets are increasingly controlled by monopolies, which small companies can't compete against.
Sometimes The Evil Company is the only game in town, and if exploiters were easy to walk away from, they wouldn't be able to exploit.
If you want healthcare, or medications, or university education, or housing, or internet, or phone service, in the US, you're going to pay exorbitant prices, because government has been decimated, and no longer does its job. Corporations have cornered the market.
Pollution is perhaps more difficult question, because tyrants of our time can define normal breathing as pollution. But, also in this case, I think best way is that people are free and if they think someone produces stuff in a bad way, they just don't buy it. That is very democratic way to decide what is good, when people vote with their own money.
If you want electricity, or want to drive, you have little choice but support the polluters, and pay their prices.. It's a captive market.

You want to put up eco-friendly solar panels on your roof in Hawaii? Good luck. Hawaii's power market is entirely privatized, and you will be heavily penalized for any attempt to circumvent it. Hawaii's solar industry has been pretty much shut down.
And how about Pacific Gas and Electric; another privatized monopoly?
"PG&E knew for years its lines could spark wildfires, and didn't fix them." -- Wall Street journal. July 10, 2019.
PG&E had taken 100 million earmarked for safety upgrades, and distributed it to senior executives.
The Camp fire destroyed 14,000 homes and killed 85.

There was ENRON, and the crash of 2008. You can't evade it. The tyrants control markets, employment and opportunity. Government, the only entity with the power to regulate this, has been emasculated.

No, it's not always possible to found a new company. There are financial and temporal problems, and most markets are increasingly controlled by monopolies, which small companies can't compete against.

Sometimes The Evil Company is the only game in town, and if exploiters were easy to walk away from, they wouldn't be able to exploit.

If people are free and still use the products of the “exploiters”, they have accepted it. If they are free and don’t accept, there will be a better company. There are many ways to found new companies in a free society, but, it obviously depends on do people want it.

If you want healthcare, or medications, or university education, or housing, or internet, or phone service, in the US, you're going to pay exorbitant prices, because government has been decimated, and no longer does its job. Corporations have cornered the market.

It is sad, if politicians have been decimated so that they can't protect freedom. And I can agree that they do poor job nowadays. If it is so, I don’t think the society is truly free anymore.

If you want electricity, or want to drive, you have little choice but support the polluters, and pay their prices.. It's a captive market.

If you want to drive, you are a polluter. If you use things that need electricity, you are a polluter. I think it is good not to spoil environment, but I think some “pollution” is not necessarily bad. For example, CO2 is very important for plants to grow, not reasonable to try to avoid the way people now try to do.

You want to put up eco-friendly solar panels on your roof in Hawaii? Good luck. Hawaii's power market is entirely privatized, and you will be heavily penalized for any attempt to circumvent it. Hawaii's solar industry has been pretty much shut down.

Very disappointing, would have expected them to be more reasonable. But, I wouldn’t call that privatized, if individuals can’t get freely own panels. I think in that case there is corporate tyranny or fascism ruling that country, because government and companies have teamed up against the people. I would call that oligarchy.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If people are free and still use the products of the “exploiters”, they have accepted it. If they are free and don’t accept, there will be a better company. There are many ways to found new companies in a free society, but, it obviously depends on do people want it.
But if there is only one game in town, people have no choice. Is that freedom?

Cell/mobile phone service that costs $12.00 per month in Australia, or $15.00 in France averages ~$62.00 in the US.
Broadband in France at $31.00, or $36,00 in Germany, averages ~ $70.00 in the US -- for much lower speeds and poor reliability. Why is that?
Why must American students take out extortionate loans just to get an education, while in Denmark you're paid to attend university? Need I mention American healthcare or pharmaceuticals?

It is difficult to found a new company in the US. We are no longer "the land of opportunity." Social mobility in Europe has far outstripped that in the US.
Who can compete with Wall Mart or Disney, or Bayer?

Four health insurance companies dominate the US market; four for cell phone service. All major industries -- news, food, agriculture, electronics, pharmaceuticals, education, &al, have been subsumed by monopolies that control entire markets and regions, stifle all competition, and fix prices. A similar monopoly obtains in our two-party political system.
This is not freedom.
It is sad, if politicians have been decimated so that they can't protect freedom. And I can agree that they do poor job nowadays. If it is so, I don’t think the society is truly free anymore.
The politicians work for the Corporations, not the people. Study: US is an oligarchy, not a democracy

FDR's New Deal policies, designed to protect the public interests from corporate and banking greed, have been undermined by right-wing legislation, paid for and promoted by right-wing politicians. Same with LBJ's Great Society legislation. And things really began falling apart with the Reagan revolution, with almost all barriers to corporate, banking, and media exploitation removed. Wages, general prosperity, security and opportunity plummeted.
Not "freedom."
If you want to drive, you are a polluter. If you use things that need electricity, you are a polluter. I think it is good not to spoil environment, but I think some “pollution” is not necessarily bad. For example, CO2 is very important for plants to grow, not reasonable to try to avoid the way people now try to do.
Salt on food is good, too, but problematic in excess. The way we "now try to do things" is not helping plants. It's creating deserts and crashing the planetary ecology.
Very disappointing, would have expected them to be more reasonable. But, I wouldn’t call that privatized, if individuals can’t get freely own panels. I think in that case there is corporate tyranny or fascism ruling that country, because government and companies have teamed up against the people. I would call that oligarchy.
Corporate stifles private, then promotes legislation securing their corporate dominance and preventing free enterprise and private entrepreneurs.
Not freedom.

Till recently, Fascism was defined, and generally understood to be, a collusion between government and corporate interests. It grows like a cancer, undermining competition, prosperity and security, till some disaster occurs, everything falls apart, and checks and balances -- "regulations" -- are reapplied.
And the cycle begins anew.

Viker

Häxan
I doubt that the book of Acts was written with Marxian dialectical materialism in mind or had anything genuinely to do with communism.

That description is no different than any family gathering and then pulling together for a dinner.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Stalin attended seminary school, it appears he learned his lessons well. Reading this short story from Acts of the Apostles, beginning chapter 4:32, it also appears that Christianity teaches us how communism works better than atheism ever could. It ends at chapter 5:11.
Stalin......... what did Stalin ever do or say which promoted Communism?
Like Hitler he was a vicious and wicked dictator...... the only difference was in how they reached their seats of power.

But if there is only one game in town, people have no choice. Is that freedom? …

If people are not allowed to develop a new game, then it is not freedom. If people don’t want to develop, or use a new game, it can be freedom, people just choose to have that one and only.

…Till recently, Fascism was defined, and generally understood to be, a collusion between government and corporate interests. …

I can accept that to be one definition. And it is sad that western world seems to be fascistic, especially medial fascism is quite strong at the moment. But, I think fascism is best explained in the third wave document project. I recommend everyone to watch it and to become immune to fascism.

lukethethird

unknown member
Stalin......... what did Stalin ever do or say which promoted Communism?
Like Hitler he was a vicious and wicked dictator...... the only difference was in how they reached their seats of power.
Read the story that begins Acts 4:32, and ends at chapter 5:11., and then explain to me the basic difference between Stalin and St. Peter because I fail to see it.