• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Short film puts everyday sexism into perspective

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Try Doubting Everyday Sexism After Watching This Video
Warning, there is topless nudity in this film, swearing, and I feel like I should put in a trigger warning due to depictions of sexual assault. I thought of putting this in the open forums but thought I'd put it here first to see your guys' thoughts. Do you feel this is a pretty accurate portrayal? Do you think it will make any difference or help anyone understand?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Try Doubting Everyday Sexism After Watching This Video
Warning, there is topless nudity in this film, swearing, and I feel like I should put in a trigger warning due to depictions of sexual assault. I thought of putting this in the open forums but thought I'd put it here first to see your guys' thoughts. Do you feel this is a pretty accurate portrayal? Do you think it will make any difference or help anyone understand?

I think the film was very well done.

Look at the comments, however, I doubt it will make any radical change in how people view everyday sexism. People will still focus on how men wish they'd be sexually objectified, and ignore the way the man was treated when he reported being assaulted. Add to that, they'll say they've never seen it, so it doesn't exist.

What I find more telling is how the comments turn a blind eye to sexism, harassment, and rape culture while suggesting they believe the harassment is a sign of a compliment.

Aquitaine

It comes as no surprise that the Comments section for the video on Youtube has been disabled, heh - I wonder why. :rolleyes:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
It comes as no surprise that the Comments section for the video on Youtube has been disabled, heh - I wonder why. :rolleyes:

Yep. It was brutal. A lot of hostility where - sadly - mostly men who were saying that this is completely unrealistic, that they'd be happy to be ogled and objectified, and that they could never believe a spouse would act that way toward a loved one who was raped. It was a brutal war of the sexes, unfortunately. The vast majority of the women who commented said this video was spot on, that they experience moments like this most days. And the vast majority of men who commented said this video was ridiculous, that they never see it happening, that they'd never do it, and that they don't know any man who would do this.

I say if it's going to get ugly, bring out the jello. We could use a wrestling match to liven things up a bit. :cool:

Aquitaine

Yep. It was brutal. A lot of hostility where - sadly - mostly men who were saying that this is completely unrealistic, that they'd be happy to be ogled and objectified, and that they could never believe a spouse would act that way toward a loved one who was raped. It was a brutal war of the sexes, unfortunately. The vast majority of the women who commented said this video was spot on, that they experience moments like this most days. And the vast majority of men who commented said this video was ridiculous, that they never see it happening, that they'd never do it, and that they don't know any man who would do this.

I say if it's going to get ugly, bring out the jello. We could use a wrestling match to liven things up a bit.

I wonder how different the reaction from those guys in the comments would be, if the women in the film were replaced by other men, and that it basically showed Male-on-Male abuse.

I think one of the reasons some blokes don't accept or take the video seriously, is because it activates a sort of "Fantasy" of their's, and then a very dangerous mentality of "Well I wouldn't mind it so neither should women" emerges.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't see one film as changing much, but a hundred films -- then, maybe, we'd be getting somewhere. Changing everyday sexism seems to me mainly a process of education. And that process is likely to be as uphill as getting the vote for women was. But it will eventually come about.