• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shiva

elmarna

Looking at Shiva - I see the philosophies of other religions captured in this diety.
1 - the ways of setian beliefs.
2 - the beliefs of ying and yang.
And being that this diety is 1 of three to connect to Brahma.
I see the christian trinity.

Now I do not follow the Hindi understanding. While I can see words on a page or hear people at work refer to Shiva. I can not "relate."
Is Shiva a course of action? A virtue? Or a aspect emersed in philosophy that is a step to embrace Brahma? ORrr... Something else not considered in my post?
Awareness helps to understand. To understand we can thus "realize it in the way it is considered.
Thanks for your input!!!:namaste:yinyang:

elmarna

Thank you.
So in the function of understanding can you find inlightenment in the avenues you take in calling upon this diety or in the course of considering him what is it that has people devoted to the world of Shiva?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Siva's an imaginary personage used as a devotional focus, Elmarna. He represents the dissolution of the perceived universe. But, since our perception of the universe is an illusion, his real function is the destruction of that illusion so actual Reality is revealed.

elmarna

If he stands for the world to "realize."
Which diety is that of understanding?
You can realize and not always understand... But to understand then realize!
The worship and the wisdoms can only see the truth!!!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Looking at Shiva - I see the philosophies of other religions captured in this diety.

Now I do not follow the Hindi understanding. While I can see words on a page or hear people at work refer to Shiva. I can not "relate."
Is Shiva a course of action? A virtue? Or a aspect emersed in philosophy that is a step to embrace Brahma? ORrr... Something else not considered in my post?
Awareness helps to understand. To understand we can thus "realize it in the way it is considered.

It really depends on who you talk to. Hinduism is vast. There will be many different answers. Since I am of the Shaiva sect, for me, Siva is God, period. Both transcendent and immanent, Friend, Father, Love, Absolute Reality, and much more.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Hinduism is indeed so vast, with so many beliefs, that none are right or wrong, imo. Minority view among Vaishnavas as it may be, I find myself leaning to the belief in Harihara aka Shankaranarayana. I believe they are complementary, represented and manifest in Sri Krishna. Who in this image are the first expansions of Krishna/Brahman?... Vishnu and Shiva. But this is not about justifying a personal belief or putting it on trial, it's a matter of showing how subtle and diverse beliefs can be.

gita-136.jpg

Satyamavejayanti

You will get many different answers to this, but they all are kind of telling you the same thing. That Shiva is not just a GOD, but is be an attribute of the supreme, and therefore is GOD.

according to some Shastras (scriptures) and my view is that Shiva is a attribute of the almighty supreme being. and so are Vishnu and Brahma.
Shiva means many things in Samskrut, and one of them is Destroyer of the universe, not a evil destroyer, as we believe that destruction is only the precursor for creation.
The normal Hindu view is vary vast, but majority will agree to just having a infinite, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent GOD (not in the Abrahamic sense), but called by many names, and known by Infinite attributes.

And as you would now that Hinduism came before all other religions, and so the similarities are just from the influence of Hinduism on the world.