• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shield the Children

Skwim

Veteran Member

"Shield the children: It’s time to discuss the Supreme Court’s next case.

Iancu v. Brunetti is a trademark dispute in which Los Angeles artist Erik Brunetti

blog_rick.jpg
sued the government, saying it violated the First Amendment by refusing to register the trademark for his “subversive” clothing line:
FUCT[/
Screen+Shot+2018-08-05+at+1.17.06+PM.png
The briefing contains more profanity than a fraternity party, but Brunetti’s lawyer John R. Sommer told the court that he did not intend to turn Monday’s hearing into a swearing contest.

“It is not expected that it will be necessary to refer to vulgar terms during argument,” Sommer wrote. “If it should be necessary, the discussion will be purely clinical, analogous to when medical terms are discussed.”

A free-speech fight over a trademark might sound familiar. Two years ago, when an Asian American band, the Slants, supported by a professional football team, the Washington Redskins, challenged the law against registering “disparaging” trademarks, the court ruled it was unconstitutional.

“Giving offense is a viewpoint,” wrote Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. “We have said time and again that ‘the public expression of ideas may not be prohibited merely because the ideas are themselves offensive to some of their hearers.’ ”

Brunetti is challenging a neighboring provision in the law, which prohibits the registration of “immoral” or “scandalous” trademarks."
source
Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If FUCT is immoral, how about FUCTE? FECK? FICK? FIKE? FUKE? FOOK?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Every time there is a controversy about vulgarity, an Italian surname shows up...
why is that?:p:p:p

danieldemol

Premium Member

Iancu v. Brunetti is a trademark dispute in which Los Angeles artist Erik Brunetti

blog_rick.jpg
sued the government, saying it violated the First Amendment by refusing to register the trademark for his “subversive” clothing line:
FUCT
The briefing contains more profanity than a fraternity party, but Brunetti’s lawyer John R. Sommer told the court that he did not intend to turn Monday’s hearing into a swearing contest.

“It is not expected that it will be necessary to refer to vulgar terms during argument,” Sommer wrote. “If it should be necessary, the discussion will be purely clinical, analogous to when medical terms are discussed.”

A free-speech fight over a trademark might sound familiar. Two years ago, when an Asian American band, the Slants, supported by a professional football team, the Washington Redskins, challenged the law against registering “disparaging” trademarks, the court ruled it was unconstitutional.

“Giving offense is a viewpoint,” wrote Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. “We have said time and again that ‘the public expression of ideas may not be prohibited merely because the ideas are themselves offensive to some of their hearers.’ ”

Brunetti is challenging a neighboring provision in the law, which prohibits the registration of “immoral” or “scandalous” trademarks."
source
Thoughts?

In Australia we already have
FCUK
which is only a letter or two off

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
In Australia we already have
FCUK
which is only a letter or two off

Yup, but we wouldn't have the Washington Redskins or equivalent (imho)
Interesting how different countries draw lines in different ways.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
That proves that Italian is a very vulgar language. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Learn to speak Latin like your umpteenth great grandfather.:D

Whenever I hear Roman Suburbanites (including my dad) speak Romanesco I say: "I fail to believe these people used to speak Latin 2000 years ago...it's impossible"
:p

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
New If FUCT is immoral, how about FUCTE? FECK? FICK? FIKE? FUKE? FOOK?
Fick is not immoral as ficken is the German verb for sexual intercourse, and it's not used as a profanity like the English counterpart.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
England even had a King
Cnut

This made me laugh. A friend of mine once referred to me as King
Cnut
in a message thread where I'd confused everyone with a poorly spelled message, then told everyone they were being precious, since I only had one letter wrong.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

blog_rick.jpg
FUCT

source
Thoughts?

FCUK
(and variants) are registered trade marks of "French Connection UK" the UK

The trademark has been defended in court and the court of appeal. It is legally valid

FCUKVaughan_Mills.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
This made me laugh. A friend of mine once referred to me as King Cnut in a message thread where I'd confused everyone with a poorly spelled message, then told everyone they were being precious, since I only had one letter wrong.

There was a a lad in school surname Entwistle, nickname "Enti"

We all delighted (as naughty children will) in saying goodbye to him when his mother collected with the refrain "see you En ti )