• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shaman beliefs

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If I could be anything, I'd be a Shaman. Unfortunately, it's been brought to my attention that my mind isn't sound enough and I don't belong to a tribe. I'd say I belong to a tribe of spirit-people but I don't think that counts :p

Anyhow, this is what Shaman's believe (from Wikipedia):

• Spirits exist and they play important roles both in individual lives and in human society.
  • The shaman can communicate with the spirit world.
  • Spirits can be benevolent or malevolent.
  • The shaman can treat sickness caused by malevolent spirits.
  • The shaman can employ trance inducing techniques to incite visionary ecstasy and go on vision quests.
  • The shaman's spirit can leave the body to enter the supernatural world to search for answers.
  • The shaman can perform other varied forms of divination, scry, throw bones/runes, and sometimes foretell of future events.
Shamanism is based on the premise that the visible world is pervaded by invisible forces or spirits which affect the lives of the living.[57] Although the causes of disease lie in the spiritual realm, inspired by malicious spirits, both spiritual and physical methods are used to heal. Commonly, a shaman "enters the body" of the patient to confront the spiritual infirmity and heals by banishing the infectious spirit.

Many shamans have expert knowledge of medicinal plants native to their area, and an herbal treatment is often prescribed. In many places shamans learn directly from the plants, harnessing their effects and healing properties, after obtaining permission from the indwelling or patron spirits. In the Peruvian Amazon Basin, shamans and curanderos use medicine songs called icaros to evoke spirits. Before a spirit can be summoned it must teach the shaman its song.[57] The use of totemic items such as rocks with special powers and an animating spirit is common.

Such practices are presumably very ancient. Plato wrote in his Phaedrus that the "first prophecies were the words of an oak", and that those who lived at that time found it rewarding enough to "listen to an oak or a stone, so long as it was telling the truth".

Belief in witchcraft and sorcery, known as brujería in Latin America, exists in many societies. Other societies assert all shamans have the power to both cure and kill. Those with shamanic knowledge usually enjoy great power and prestige in the community, but they may also be regarded suspiciously or fearfully as potentially harmful to others.

By engaging in their work, a shaman is exposed to significant personal risk, from the spirit world, from enemy shamans, or from the means employed to alter the shaman's state of consciousness. Shamanic plant materials can be toxic or fatal if misused. Failure to return from an out-of-body journey can lead to death. Spells are commonly used to protect against these dangers, and the use of more dangerous plants is often very highly ritualized.
Shamanism - Wikipedia
640x792_3862_The_Shaman_2d_illustration_shaman_fantasy_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Horse Manakey!

Unfortunately, it's been brought to my attention that my mind isn't sound enough and I don't belong to a tribe.

I'ma bout to go to bed so I didn't read this all. Usually people go into a religion or spiritual path because they are looking for help or find themselves mentally, physically, and emotionally. The path should support you in your spiritual journey. You shouldn't need to wait until others feel you are at sound mind. You sound very aware and reflective in the info you're researching, what you are going through, and went through, and so forth. I mean, I'd have gone crazy-seriously, I would have. So, keep researching and doing your thing. Pray, meditate, find an out-maybe art, writing, or drawing, or something.

Take care and nights from the East Coast of the States!

:hibiscus:

Patti

Oops, my notebook is bouncy. Well, you would love the Americasn Southwest. Shamanism is very popular out here, and locally consists of a mens club with at least 100 members or more. It seems to be effective in curing some illnesses, and there is some question locally as to whether the shamans do things ethically, but they don't charge money, so it's a relative question. There's a great deal of liturature available, and if you like shamanism, you can probably find teachers anywhere in the Southwest. I had very good luck recovering from cancer with a combination of shaminism and modern medicine. It's funny though, I don't like shamans, I think they are tricky and scary. Have you ever met one?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Oops, my notebook is bouncy. Well, you would love the Americasn Southwest. Shamanism is very popular out here, and locally consists of a mens club with at least 100 members or more. It seems to be effective in curing some illnesses, and there is some question locally as to whether the shamans do things ethically, but they don't charge money, so it's a relative question. There's a great deal of liturature available, and if you like shamanism, you can probably find teachers anywhere in the Southwest. I had very good luck recovering from cancer with a combination of shaminism and modern medicine. It's funny though, I don't like shamans, I think they are tricky and scary. Have you ever met one?
I met one in jail. I never got to know him