• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sex and abrahamic religions

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
pandamonk said:
If the rules have changed and the Qur'an is still seen to promote slavery, or sex with a spouse or slave, then surely the Qur'an is outdated. Our rules have changed, but the Qur'an, I'm guessing, is God's rules. So he still sees sex with a slave as good.

I can't force you - and you don't have - to accept Quran whether it's outdated or not and this is your own judgment and you are free to think as you want.

This is somthing much better than having sex around with people whom you know and whom you don't even women wonder whos son is that and who is the father of that "despite the fact that they are using the current technology to know", and then some fathers drop some sons in the east and others in the west bla bla.

For the record, if slavery was ok until now so i see no problem to have sex with them in the sense that they are limited for me only and not by force, unlike the case of free unlimited sex. Sheesh, it's like a party where every body is invited. :ignore:

Peace .. :)

JerryL

1) Paternity is easy to establish in the modern world.
2) Slaves were sold, so it's still got the same issue you are worrying about.
3) The alternative to Islam is not solely "free love".
4) Birth Conrtol is reasonably effective in the modern world.

Would you like me to make a far more supportable argument over the dangers of being married to a man who has control of your life and can beat you and blah blah?

Booko

Deviled Hen
JerryL said:
Would you like me to make a far more supportable argument over the dangers of being married to a man who has control of your life and can beat you and blah blah?

There is absolutely nothing in what Muhammad taught that allows for beating your wife and blah blah.

If you want me to start quoting...I can and will. :yes:

Many of the things that oppress women in Islamic societies are cultural matters having nothing to do with Islam.

(Did you know the idea that women should be completely hidden when traveling goes back to the pagan Arab practices of the howdah? The Qu'ran says nothing about this. It's a cultural artifact.)

You could ask the question of why, now, these cultural practices have come to the fore and not been quashed by what Muhammad taught, and that would be a fair question and worth looking at.

But in early Islam, women had rights that Western women could only dream of, and in many cases only got in the 1800s.

Many a Western woman who was tossed into the street when her husband died, because she had no son that could inherit and the property was entailed, could've wished she was born into a Muslim family.

JerryL

If you want me to start quoting...I can and will.
Sure, how about you start with 4.34 from the Quran.

Many of the things that oppress women in Islamic societies are cultural matters having nothing to do with Islam.
I'm sure there are many cultural opressions in areas where Islam is present that are not based in the religion.

(Did you know the idea that women should be completely hidden when traveling goes back to the pagan Arab practices of the howdah? The Qu'ran says nothing about this. It's a cultural artifact.)
"nothing" is an exaggeration. Certainly the quran prescribes modest dress for women in excess of any modesty requirements for men; the Surah goes farther.

But in early Islam, women had rights that Western women could only dream of, and in many cases only got in the 1800s.
Again an exaggeration. There were several western societies that granted women equal or near-equal footing. They were certainly the minority.

Many a Western woman who was tossed into the street when her husband died, because she had no son that could inherit and the property was entailed, could've wished she was born into a Muslim family.
That would be a violation of Biblical law, but I welcome your cite and any support you can offer that this never occured in Muslim lands.

Shtef

Booko said:
Chocolate is also one of the most pleasurable things in life, but I suppose if I overindulge in that, I might come to some harm as well.

The question is, is being freer with love harmful to yourself or anyone else?

If you think it's not, go tell it to all the fatherless children out there. I'm sure they'll be mighty impressed. ;)

And please dont mention birth control to me. I've gotten pregnant on the pill...twice. Never missed one.

Nothing is 100%, and "safe" sex should be called "safer" sex.

I don't think indulging in chocolate and sex are the same thing. Too much chocolate can obviously be bad for you but I can see no reason why heaps of free love (responsible and mature of course) could be bad for anyone.

Don't give me the unwanted pregancy argument either. If you don't want to get pregnant, you won't. The fact that you got pregnant twice on the pill tells me that you obviously did something wrong. There is more to just making sure that you don't miss a pill.