• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Setians with no connections to the Temple of Set?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
In reading through most information I can find, the Temple of Set equates Setians with members initiated into the Temple. Are there many Setians who not only have left the Temple and remained Setian, but have embraced Set and the Black Flame without ever joining the Temple? How are these non-affiliated Setians viewed?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
As far as I can tell, and this is roughly counting people I know -- more people are Setian that are not affiliated with the Temple proper than are. Many join for a few years quit, and keep practicing as well. I think it is sort of natural in this case because really most of a Setian's "work" is solitary and no one from the group can help them to complete it. :)

Since a lot of Setians get into their personal mythos a bunch a lot of them also get into revival paganisms and jump into that pool after while as well. (I know quite a few that also flirt with both...)

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
In reading through most information I can find, the Temple of Set equates Setians with members initiated into the Temple. Are there many Setians who not only have left the Temple and remained Setian, but have embraced Set and the Black Flame without ever joining the Temple? How are these non-affiliated Setians viewed?

I encountered Set and became Setian quite some time before I first entered the Temple of Set. It was this becoming which inspired me to join the ToS and undergo Initiation in the Black Arts. Even though I am currently not a member of the Temple organization, I am and will always be within my Self a Temple of Set. I do know the ToS does consider some folks who are not actual members as Setians. :smileycat:

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
So one can certainly recognize the Gift of Set and be a practicing Setian, only ever joining the ToS as needed?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
So one can certainly recognize the Gift of Set and be a practicing Setian, only ever joining the ToS as needed?

That's one way of putting it, sure. :smilecat: Remember, Set, the Lord of Darkness, thinks only of those who think of Him/It, whether within or outside an organization. Become first and foremost within your Self a Temple of Set.

Last edited:

Daelach

Setian
How are these non-affiliated Setians viewed?

You didn't actually specify how they're being viewed by whom. In case you're asking the official TOS stance, there are some old Usenet postings by Michael Aquino where he clearly stated that the TOS were "the sole and exclusive initiatory agency for Set on Earth". That's as official as it can get. The essence is, as I understand it, if someone hasn't been initiated to Set by means of TOS membership, then he/she isn't a Setian.

However, this is only relevant inside the TOS. For Setians who have never been TOS members, this has no particular relevance. Maybe I should mention that I'm a Setian without ever even having applied to the TOS.. ^^

However, if you are approaching Set without the TOS, then it's entirely possible, but just be prepared for some extra rounds of slap on behalf of Set. Talk of a learning curve, or so. Whether you'd like some extra smacks depends on what you're expecting. It might be some extra sucks, or it might be worthwhile experiences. Who knows.. :)