• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Set

elmarna

Since I can only speak in the phoronic beliefs - I present to you the thinking of the peoples. Your response is not necessary. It is just me sharing what I remember.
SET is endings. He is the crocidile. He lays hidden in the rivers of life. Those who are unwise and fail to realize him will fall victum to the world of him with no greater understanding of the world.
In the temple of Set - Anubus stands infront of the doorways which lead to him. Anubus is the concept of "judgement."
When you approach the door to Set you have a concern and present to Anubus that of the way you handle it. If it is a good judgement the door will open and your concerns will be ended (Set is ending). If you approach Anubus with unwise judgements - the door will open and it will be the end of you!!!
Thank you for letting me share!
In the music of Maat one will inspire and radiate!

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
The great god Set as seen through the eyes of this One, a life long Setian:

Set Is the god of many Names and Powers. Set Is the Prince of the Powers of Darkness, Set Is the limitless potential of Mind and Will. Set Is the supreme manifestation of Isolate Self-centered Intellect within the Macrocosmos. Set Is the primordial source of all other metaphysical being and isolate Self-centered intellect within the microcosm. Set Is the god of the Sky by Night, the Slayer of the Cosmic stasis and the disruptor of the natural order of things, whose Seat is behind the Constellation of the Seven Stars.
Sets Name defines the beauty of Magic.
Set Is the Highest Form of Life.
Set Is Khepera, the winged scarab, the Self-Created One, the dawning Sun of Re-Birth and the Horizon.
Set Is Ma'at, the goddess of Justice and Truth of Being.
Set Is Leviathan, the Eternal Serpent of the Abyss, the surging sea, and divine Principle of continuity and ageless existence.
Set Is the Living primordial abyss from whence evolved the potential for all Life within this Universe.
Set Is Anubis, the guardian and opener of the Gates to the Ways of Darkness.
Set Is Yog-Sothoth, Master of dimensions and Faceless One, who doth order the Planes and Angles, and who is the primordial gateway to worlds beyond time.
Set is Nyarlathotep, the Messenger who brought forth to the Earth the Black Flame of the Abyss, and who enshrined within us, the Deep Ones, the Essence of his Being.
Set Is Shub-Niggurath, the Black Ram of the Midnight Sun and Deathless One, Master of the World of Horrors, who is the primordial father of that which has become mankind.

We, who are the Elect of Set are His eternal legacy. And when we, Sets Children, rule upon a thousand worlds the stars shall be right again, and we shall remake the Cosmos in the ever lasting glory of Our Setian Will!

IAO, Set!
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

elmarna

So to you the abyss of Abydos is the universe?
It is here I understand sets realm exists!

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
So to you the abyss of Abydos is the universe?
It is here I understand sets realm exists!

To me the Abyss of Absu is that from whence the Universe came into being. The Throne of Set stands beyond the Constellation of the Seven Stars, otherwise known as Ursa Major or Alpha Draconis set in the Northern Hemisphere of the sky by night.

Xeper em Ma'at.
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

elmarna

In the phoronic church the Abyss of Abydos was neither inside or outside of you.
It was in the underworld and the overworld. In 0that you could not see and should never approach in fear. Please keep in mind that in ancient Egypt I was not a priest. I did go to the temple of Set , but was just a farmer.

aa_nerut

Elmarna,
Set may be portrayed in that fashion by the "phoronic church" but that doesn't mean that is exactly how the Ancient Egyptians actually saw Set. Set had thousands of years to be different things to different people. In the predynastic times Set is seen as an agricultural deity. It is the storms that bring the fertility of the land, which was a much different that land than the one present in Egypt today. Along with the storms though comes the unpredictability of their occurrences. There were two metals associated with Set, and in the above idea of storms, iron was one of those metals. This iron would have come from the sky in the form of meteorites. It is very interesting to see the predynastic images of the Set animal and the neter Min together, both being fertility, storm, lightening, and meteorite deities, and both being deities that would eventually, if not originally, mutate into gods of the unknown, with Set being the violent and unpredictability within/upon the Universe, and Min growing to become Amun, the Hidden Neter at the heart of all Becoming. This is worth some consideration.

The other metal associated with Set was gold, as he was the neter of the city of gold, Nubt. Gold was the skin of the neteru. Why gold, because it cannot be tarnished. This is why it was the most divine metal in all of the ancient world. This also set gold apart from all other metals.

I think I will agree with you a little about Set being endings, but endings always give rise to something new. So at what point is the ending separated from the new thing that comes from that end?

The interpretation you present of Set does have its flavoring in latter Pharaonic Egypt, when Set was more vilified than any other time in Ancient Egypt. It may be worth a deeper study of how Set has been seen at different times to get another opinion of this deity and how different people saw It. The fascinating thing I find in the study of Set is that It cannot be easily pinned down as a very specific deity, It does seem to be a neter that is ever changing.

Something worth a read thru is Seth, The God of Confusion, and something worth watching is Out of Egypt, the episode about The Devil. You may see a different point of view of what Set is then how you seen It.

elmarna

Set will always be 1hat I remember. I do not fail to see that when set is resting that the world continues with no great upheavels. Nothing in life is without a course of action. When Set rises off. Of his throne it is all those in fear that causes caos. Not him. He actually was known to me as the God - Typhoon . Not the storm but the way I called to him. I have a fondness of him I can not shake and really do not want to.
The Avenues he takes bears no malice. He is and will always be necessary!

elmarna

You know I do not deny that those who fear Set can not place him as something to be fond about. The fact he takes away or destroys is put in a negative light and subsequently leavinh him as "opposeing" GOD. Instead of "complementing" him.
While you have offered me books to read it is likely a placement of opinions. In ny N.D.E. I was able to touch the -"Lord of Endings" ; Not. The "Prince of Darkness".
He was serinity that ebbed into nothingness. He existed, but cast no form in the resources. It was here I could only find a great polished black mirror . Thoughts accociated with Satan were not present. Evil was not felt.
Thank you for offering mw the books. I doubt they could compare to the experience of touching the greatness of Set. I really do not think anyone could persuade me he is not real . I do belive I will always be chastized for being fond of him.
But that is me! Druming with a different drum and always slightly out of tune!