• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Set and Lucifer

morning-star

Light Bearer
I would like something cleared up Iv'e spoke to some Setians that claim that Lucifer and Set are the same and they have also called themselves Luciferians (though they are setians) what is the relationship between these two beings in the setian view?

(As a luciferian I see them both as very different beings.)

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I would like something cleared up Iv'e spoke to some Setians that claim that Lucifer and Set are the same and they have also called themselves Luciferians (though they are setians) what is the relationship between these two beings in the setian view?

As some one who is still some what a Setian to me they are different. Most Setians that might say they are the same are the Setians from ToS. ToS is still a Satanic Religion( or at lest they say they are). But I have met Set and even he would say they are different.

.lava

Veteran Member
As some one who is still some what a Setian to me they are different. Most Setians that might say they are the same are the Setians from ToS. ToS is still a Satanic Religion( or at lest they say they are). But I have met Set and even he would say they are different.

if you donot mind me asking, who is Set? :confused:

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
if you donot mind me asking, who is Set? :confused:

In Egyptian mythology, Set (also spelled Seth,Sutekh or Seteh) is an ancient god, who was originally the god of the desert, one of the two main biomes that constitutes Egypt, the other being the small fertile area on either side of the Nile. Due to developments in the Egyptian language over the 3,000 years that Set was worshiped, by the Greek period, the t in Set was pronounced so indistinguishably from th that the Greeks spelled it as Seth.

morning-star

Light Bearer

ah yes. it was the people from the Temple of Set that said they where Luciferians so they claim to be a form of satanist as well? to me it seems they just call themselves whatever suits them at the time....do they (ToS) think of Set as a being of Darkness then?? (how did they figure that out??)

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
ah yes. it was the people from the Temple of Set that said they where Luciferians so they claim to be a form of satanist as well? to me it seems they just call themselves whatever suits them at the time....do they (ToS) think of Set as a being of Darkness then?? (how did they figure that out??)

From what I read they do see Set as a Being of Darkness. I think they got that because later on Set some how became the God of Chaos, though I here that a lot I have never seen that on anything talking about him.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
I kind of see myself as a Symbolic (Atheistic) Luciferian. To me Lucifer represents: freedom, pride, fighting for what is right, knowledge, and wisdom.

What does Set represent to you?

morning-star

Light Bearer
From what I read they do see Set as a Being of Darkness. I think they got that because later on Set some how became the God of Chaos, though I here that a lot I have never seen that on anything talking about him.

but God of chaos doesn't equal being of darkness if you ask me chaos and darkness are very diffrent.

ViaSinistra

Let me help you find the medium of the Deity know as "Set"...
The oldest form of the Prince of Darkness, the archetype of Isolate Intelligence, is the Egyptian god Set, who’s Priesthood can be traced to predynastic times. Images of Set have been dated to ca.3200 BCE, with astronomically-based estimates of inscriptions dating to 5000 BCE. Set’s original name meant “cutter” or “Isolator” - he is the personification of the process of initiation- of becoming more and more your own self. Setians do not pray to Set, nor does he care about their day-to-day lives. Setians emulate Set, and further the process of individuation and Initiation on this world. Set is a complex figure, a much better role model than the limited figure of the Judeo-Christian Satan. Satan, the archetype of the rebel against cosmic injustice , may be where many people begin the lifelong process of Initiation, but he is too small a symbol for the richness of the Left Hand Path.
The Egyptian god Set went through periods of immense popularity alternating with total denunciation. Set in the predynastic and archaic periods was an essentially positive deity introduced from the east as a god of the “extension” of “existence“. He is therefore god of “expanding” borders and radical changes of being, particulary birth, circumcision/ initiation, death in battle, and rebirth through the Opening of the Mouth ceremony. Popular among easterners, his first cult site being Pelusium in the eastern Delta, Set’s worship quickly spread to the “border” areas, where he was identified with local gods of initiation. Two examples of such cult sites are Kharga in the south, which has always been primarily a Nilotic culture area, and the Libyan settlement of Ombos, wherein Set was identified with the local god Ash in the IInd dynasty. Set’s original worship as a nighttime/polar deity suffered a decline with the rise of solar worship in the IVth dynasty. The Great Pyramid of Khufu is one of the last early monuments connected with the idea of the Setian afterlife as well as a solar one. The Great Pyramid had a special air shaft for the king’s “akh” to fly to the stars of Set.
During the Middle Kingdom, Set was reduced to a symbol of Upper Egypt and apparently seen only during the Setian festival of “heb-sed”, or tying together. It was during the time that Set was first blamed for the murder of Osiris, a Semitic corn god who had arrived in the IIIrd dynasty. Previously, Osiris had died of drowning. No matter how “evil” Set was, the essential function of Set, of going out and expanding the borders of existence and the returning that Chaotic energy to the center always continued. It is the darkness that binds together the Egyptian light. The murder of Osiris is the destruction of the fetters of society, of accepting self-change and civilization over the forces that lead stagnation.
The foreigners who ruled Egypt who were known as the Hyksos, actively identified themselves with Set and established their capital at an ancient Setian site, Avaris. Very little is known about their religious or magical practices, although excavations going on at the time of the writing should reveal great wealth. But they were great horsemen, and the horse had become identified with Set. It required Hyksos rule before, after almost 200 years of its use in Egypt, that evil Setian animal the horse could be portrayed in Egyptian art.
The second native blooming of Setian thinking may have begun in the XVIIIth dynasty, but certainly it reached its peak in th XIXth and Xxth dynasties when a family of Setian priests from Tanis became he pharaonic line. During the time of expanding, borders, Set was extraordinarily popular, as can be seen from pharaohs’ names such as Seti (Set’s man) and Setnakt (Set is mighty). Two important Setian text were produced: First, the “Tale of Two Brothers” tells how Set (identified with the god Batta, whos name means “Lord of this world”) undergoes a series of metamorphoses (Xeperu) that changed him from a farm hand to a star in the constellation of the Thigh. Thus Set is our role model as a man who through his own hard work, magical skill, and the “use” of the resistance of the world - Became divine. The second text is the “Book of Knowing the Spiral Force of Re and the Felling of Apep.” This protective formula, which Ramses III, son of Setnakt, inscribed on certain border monuments, shows two Setian particularities. Firstly, it narrates (from a first person perspective) how an untamed god comes into being in the psychic (subjective) realm as the god Xephra. Secondly, the spell gives the magician one of the powers of Set, which is to slay Apep, the dragon of delusion. Set likewise serves as a role model, in that each Setian seeks to end delusions of his or her life.
With the coming of the XXIInd dynasty, Egypt entered it’s long decline. Set became a tremendously unpopular deity. His worship ceased everywhere except the oases and the city of Thebes, where his cult was absorbed into the cult of Montu, the warlord of Thebes. The negative and destructive aspects of isolation and destruction were emphasized and as Egypt turned more to an idealized past, Set-hen, the god of the “Void” called the future, came to resemble the Christian Satan. (Set-hen = Satan) The third blooming came with the coming of the Greeks to Egypt. It is from this period that the Hellenic notions of independence and self-worth began to revive both the operant and initiatory aspects of the New Kingdom Set Cult. The success of Graeco-Egyptian magic, despite Roman persecution, saw an expansion of both the philosophical and magical aspects of this tradition as far north as Britain. The third century of the common Era was the height of Setian Hermeticism. With the coming of Christianity as a state religion, individualism was again despised. The Coptic fathers identified Set with Satan, Set almost disappears as a figure in Egyptian magic.
The forth blooming of Setian thought began in the nineteenth century with certain archaeological discoveries, but it reached a visible stage in 1975 ce when Michael Aquino invoked the Prince of Darkness to seek his advice. On the Solstice 1975 the Prince of Darkness revealed himself to Mr. Aquino as Set, and gave us the word of our Aeon “Xeper”. Aquino and most of the Priesthood of the Church of Satan founded the Temple of Set, and he served as the first of its three High Priests.

Last edited:

Darkwater

If anyone sticks there nose up at me,I punch it.No exceptions,although the universe has a way of telling you who or what you should & shouldn't mess with.

I have come to know him as Sutech,he is energy same as all things & very,very,very well defined and as such very capable of definement.

As he is energy(same as everything else),a particularly fine reflection of *old light* or knowledge,you cannot destroy him.

Anything you destroy is simply moved to another frequency to which you are not attuned.

Anything you create has allways been there,just you are now resonating with this or you have brought it into a frequency you are tuned into.

Lucifer or morning star is different,look for him in the west,a son of man.Satan is also a seperate entity.

Great is the might of Set,& greater is he in us.

ViaSinistra

Set is the oldest form of the Prince of Darkness, the god of Isolate Intelligence, the god of imagination... Not the "Bad Guy in Red Tights" other religions made akin to...most other religious structures just created a vision of their religios "devil" structure under the the form of Set. There is no comparrison between the two my friend. Set was a human who was granted "godhood" by way of improving the "Self" by way of "Self Deification"...through this process he became a god... this is a better, more positive rolemodel than the current Judeo-Christian Satan/lucifer.

Mr.Advocate

While the ToS has made great attempts to redefine Set as the Prince of Darkness, historically the question is not whether Set is equivalent to Lucifer, but is Set the Yahweh of the Hyksos/Palestinian tribes?

Last edited:

Darkwater

Hey,the Hycks came by to see me last night......First of the Hyksos(shepherd kings) was of Set.

I don't recognise the label Yahweh?

I have to get some sh*tkickin' hardcore hillbilly hiphop or something?

Before I met them,the Ger ma'a had to be *satisfied*

Set is just the undeniable Universal Force in all shapes & forms........in all Pantheon known & unknown,he is hidden knowledge/occult.imho.(I am an independant)

herushura

This is stupid, how does Lucifer equate with Set, Lucifer in Latin means "I Bear Light" and is a Refrence to the Morning Star Venus. Lucifer is not a biblical charactor nor associated with Satan.

in Egyptian mythology Venus was known as 'god of the morning' or 'the star that crosses', which may be a reference to the fact that it is only observed around the east or west horizon. It was originally depicted with the head of a heron-type bird, later as a two headed falcon.

Thus Lucifer(morning star venus) is associated with Horus.

Set was the god of darkness, and protected the sun god Ra in the underworld.
Jesus was also called Morning star as so was david. Infact the 6 pointed star is
a morning star symbol.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
This is stupid
Why do people feel the need to come into a DIR forum that the old no belief in and call people stupid?

how does Lucifer equate with Set, Lucifer in Latin means "I Bear Light" and is a Reference to the Morning Star Venus. Lucifer is not a biblical character nor associated with Satan
Lucifer may not be a biblical character, but Christians do see him that way and in Christianity he is Satan, and is the Prince of Darkness. And it is this association in which people see Set and Lucifer as the same being.
I do not see them as the same being do to my own personal experiences with them, but other do and that is how it has been explained to me.

Darkwater

I associate Loki with Set in many respects.

I also associate Lucifer with Baldr.

Odin I associate with Satan & wee Ganesh of Hindu

:)

herushura

Why do people feel the need to come into a DIR forum that the old no belief in and call people stupid?

Lucifer may not be a biblical character, but Christians do see him that way and in Christianity he is Satan, and is the Prince of Darkness. And it is this association in which people see Set and Lucifer as the same being.
I do not see them as the same being do to my own personal experiences with them, but other do and that is how it has been explained to me.

Were does it say in the bible that satan is a prince of darkness, the ideas of satan
holding tridants and have horns is purely polythesis origins, most likely a earth/Sea God.