• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seen Da Vinci Code?

Booko

Deviled Hen
beckysoup61 said:
Couldn't agree with you more on Ian McKellen's performance. I thought Tom Hanks and the girl who played Sophie could have done better, but all in all, it entertained me.

One part in the movie which really caught my attention was when Tom Hanks(i think it was his character) character said,

"Why couldn't Jesus be married and divine?"

That caught me, and I'm really glad they stuck it in there.

I'm glad they did as well. While I don't believe that Jesus was married, how could being married make you not sent from God? Marriage is supposed to be an *honourable estate* yes?

Goodness knows, Abraham and Moses were married, and God bothered to talk to them, yes?

I often wonder what St. Paul would say if he were here to explain what he really meant by some of those things he said about sex and women. :)

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I saw Da Vinci Code over the weekend with my husband.

It was entertaining but I don't think it worth all of the press it's getting.

I felt the overall theme was that...you can't either prove or disprove the divinity of Christ...you either believe on faith or you don't.

I felt the adventure to find the grail was less important than the faith focus.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
I seen so much publicity for the Da Vinci Code (by religious and non-religious) I don't want to see it. Everyone's making such a big stink about it that it has completley turned me off to it.

One thing this "event" has shown me is how insecure a lot of religious folk are with their faith by frantically trying to disprove a fictional story. Like Dawny said "you either believe on faith or you don't."

On the otherside of the coin, whenever I walk into a book store, I'm bombarded with Da Vinci Code merchandise. I'm surprised they haven't made a Da Vinci code lunch box yet.

So ends my rant :curtsy:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I saw the movie a few nights ago with my hubbie.

I really liked it, and I too thought the critics were overly harsh with their reviews.

I'm one who also thought "Angels and Demons" was vastly better than "The DaVinci Code" and if they make a movie out THAT book, I'll definitely go and see it. But, in any case, I'd go and see "The DaVinci Code" again at the theatre. :)

Peace,
Mystic

Freedomelf

I absolutely loved Ian McKellan in LOTR, and I LOVE Tom Hanks, so naturally I wanted, desperately, to like Da Vinci Code. The premise is intriguing, and I have no religious qualms about it....it sounded so interesting.

But, unfortunately, I agreed with the critics. During the last hour of the film, I kept wondering how much longer this thing would go on.

I couldn't wait to see it....went on the first day. When hubby and I came out, he said, "Well, what did you think?" and I said "Gosh, what a waste of money." and he said, "Thank GOD I'm not the only one who felt that way."

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
I just went and saw it tonight.

It wasn't too bad, really. It managed to exceed my (admittedly low) expectations quite well. Some of the dialogue feels a little contrived and Tom Hanks seems like he wasn't completely comfortable with the role in places, but overall, it's not a bad flick for a "Summer blockbuster."

Having just gotten around to reading the novel recently too, I have to say, this is one of the rare cases where the movie is better than the book.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'll probably see it when it comes out on DVD and rent it. I still have to go see X3 and See No Evil.

As far as critics, I never pay attention. I love several movies that critics claimed sucked. One example is Bloodrayne. Not one critic had anything good to say about it, but I love that movie.

Melody

Mister_T said:
One thing this "event" has shown me is how insecure a lot of religious folk are with their faith by frantically trying to disprove a fictional story. Like Dawny said "you either believe on faith or you don't."

I've had family members, knowing I'm a believer, ask me if the Da Vinci Code has caused me to question my faith.

uh...no? Not anymore than Dogma did. :sarcastic What part of "fiction" do these people not get?

Personally, I think the author and his publisher are incredibly PR savvy. I am absolutely convinced that if the Christian community hadn't gotten their knickers in a twist over this, the book would probably not have sold as well and the movie would never have been made. The publisher could not have paid for the advertising he got free from the christian community's outcry.

I just found out the pastor of the church I'm attending is doing Sunday's sermon on refuting the da vinci code. I told him I was disappointed, particularly after reading all of his past sermons, that he is wasting a day of worship discussing a book of fiction. What's next? A treatise on Harry Potter?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Melody said:
I've had family members, knowing I'm a believer, ask me if the Da Vinci Code has caused me to question my faith.

uh...no? Not anymore than Dogma did. :sarcastic What part of "fiction" do these people not get?

Personally, I think the author and his publisher are incredibly PR savvy. I am absolutely convinced that if the Christian community hadn't gotten their knickers in a twist over this, the book would probably not have sold as well and the movie would never have been made. The publisher could not have paid for the advertising he got free from the christian community's outcry.

I just found out the pastor of the church I'm attending is doing Sunday's sermon on refuting the da vinci code. I told him I was disappointed, particularly after reading all of his past sermons, that he is wasting a day of worship discussing a book of fiction. What's next? A treatise on Harry Potter?

I hear you! :)

My grandmother, who hasn't read the book nor will ever see the movie...scolded me for seeing it and her Pastor devoted a Sunday to disproving what Dan Brown never claimed as truth in the first place.

I think all the hype is completely ridiculous and if people would get off their high horse...they may even enjoy the movie. It's not the best but it's entertainment and true faith can't be shaken anyway.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I just got back home from seeing it. I thought it was very well done overall. I'd highly recommend it. I'd have to say, though, that if I hadn't read the book, I'd have been totally lost. What kind of blew me away was how perfectly I had pictured all of the set designs, from the men's room at the Louvre to the hangar where Leigh Teabing's airplane landed. I can't remember the book going into a great deal of detail describing these places, but it was positively uncanny how closely I had pictured them to the way they were portrayed in the movie.

I also liked the screenplay but, as my son (who is a film student) pointed out to me, the book was almost written in screenplay format. At any rate, the dialogue came across as totally natural. That's something I always notice in movies. I hate movies where I constantly find myself thinking, "Duh! Nobody'd say that."

I liked the casting quite well, although I am not a huge Tom Hanks fan. I think he's a good actor, but I would have preferred a better-looking leading man. Anyway, I'd give it a B+ or maybe an A-.

finalfrogo

I think critics were harsh to it because it didn't match the excitement or intensity of the book. I still enjoyed it.