• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeing I have available such a resource...

Nehustan

...I thought I'd ask a question. I recall when I was reading the bible not that long ago I came across a quote (I know I know I should have made a note of it...but I didn't!!!). The reason struck me as I was in the process of posting to a thread on the semiotics within what could loosely be called the Abrahamic faiths, specifically the geometric construction the name Jeheshuah is considered to represent. As I presume you guys between you will know the bible many times over it seems silly not to ask if someone knows the specific chapter and verse. The quote is somthing like, tho' this is of course paraphrased....

'You/They have used my name for sorcery/magic'​

any ideas?​

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Try acts Chaper 8..........there is a bit in there which seems to refer to your question. Verse 8 starts
8:9 But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:​
:)

Popeyesays

Nehustan said:
...I thought I'd ask a question. I recall when I was reading the bible not that long ago I came across a quote (I know I know I should have made a note of it...but I didn't!!!). The reason struck me as I was in the process of posting to a thread on the semiotics within what could loosely be called the Abrahamic faiths, specifically the geometric construction the name Jeheshuah is considered to represent. As I presume you guys between you will know the bible many times over it seems silly not to ask if someone knows the specific chapter and verse. The quote is somthing like, tho' this is of course paraphrased....

'You/They have used my name for sorcery/magic'​

any ideas?​

33:1 Manasseh was twelve years old when he began to reign, and he reigned fifty and five years in Jerusalem: 33:2 But did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD, like unto the abominations of the heathen, whom the LORD had cast out before the children of Israel.
33:3 For he built again the high places which Hezekiah his father had broken down, and he reared up altars for Baalim, and made groves, and worshipped all the host of heaven, and served them.
33:4 Also he built altars in the house of the LORD, whereof the LORD had said, In Jerusalem shall my name be for ever.
33:5 And he built altars for all the host of heaven in the two courts of the house of the LORD.
33:6 And he caused his children to pass through the fire in the valley of the son of Hinnom: also he observed times, and used enchantments, and used witchcraft, and dealt with a familiar spirit, and with wizards: he wrought much evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger.
33:7 And he set a carved image, the idol which he had made, in the house of God, of which God had said to David and to Solomon his son, In this house, and in Jerusalem, which I have chosen before all the tribes of Israel, will I put my name for ever: 33:8 Neither will I any more remove the foot of Israel from out of the land which I have appointed for your fathers; so that they will take heed to do all that I have commanded them, according to the whole law and the statutes and the ordinances by the hand of Moses.
33:9 So Manasseh made Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem to err, and to do worse than the heathen, whom the LORD had destroyed before the children of Israel." 2nd Chronicles, KJV

"17:15 And they rejected his statutes, and his covenant that he made with their fathers, and his testimonies which he testified against them; and they followed vanity, and became vain, and went after the heathen that were round about them, concerning whom the LORD had charged them, that they should not do like them.
17:16 And they left all the commandments of the LORD their God, and made them molten images, even two calves, and made a grove, and worshipped all the host of heaven, and served Baal.
17:17 And they caused their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire, and used divination and enchantments, and sold themselves to do evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger." Kings, KJV

"21:6 And he made his son pass through the fire, and observed times, and used enchantments, and dealt with familiar spirits and wizards: he wrought much wickedness in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger."
(King James Bible, 4 Kings)

"8:9 But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one: 8:10 To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of God.
8:11 And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched them with sorceries.
8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
8:13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done." Acts, KJV

"magic" comes up empty, "Sorcery" does not bring up a verse like what you suggest. I finally used "the have used" as the search phrase and came up with this. All searches down on Ocean.

Regards,
Scott

Nehustan

hmmm annoying, tho' obvious thanks, as it is none of the above....I think I'm going to have to trawl the NT in hardcopy.....

Popeyesays

Nehustan said:
hmmm annoying, tho' obvious thanks, as it is none of the above....I think I'm going to have to trawl the NT in hardcopy.....

Sorry. They're not biting on my line, so a seine sounds like the only approach. All ritual magic calls on God for control - whether it be Kabbalah or John Dee's works. Most ritual magic is based on summoning and binding - speaking methodologically, of course. I do not practice such, nor given the copious warnings in religion and by practioners of ritual magic, would I consider the attempt. Of course, one does not really READ John Dee, one has to decipher him first.

Regards,k
Scott

Nehustan

The reason I ask for the specific is in relation to the pentagram 'ritual' and the verse I was trying to find. In another thread I covered the relationship between the pentagram, the four elements and the 'fifth element', and the name Jeheshuah.

Jeheshuah.jpg

Hopefully one of the christian members will read the post and think OMG i know the exact chapter and verse.​