• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second opinion on a philosophy paper

charlie sc

If possible, can anyone who has some experience reading esoteric philosophy could you read this paper Near Death Experience and the Mind-Body Problem - Near-Death Experiences and the Mind-Body Problem

I've had a discussion where nearly all meaningful conversation has broken down with Jollybear - religiosity and/or strength of religious belief is associated with less intelligence.

I would normally leave type of discussion but I feel as though there might be something learned. Jollybear believes the paper supports the position or proves near death experiences demonstrate the soul or something to that effect exist. However, I read it and I summarised it has the author trying to merge subjectivism and objectivism. The author is sceptical of NDE experiences regarding the dualistic(more common Christian view) and his coined term, "energy materialism." . He is however hopeful that something like the soul could be measured if it exists and that sticking to one's metaphysical stance is unproductive.

I realise this is a fairly time consuming task, but if I could learn from a mistake I made or Jollybear could understand this text from a perceived non-biased perspective then that would be nice. If someone wants to take up the challenge, you can reply here or on the linked thread above.

Last edited:

Orbit

I'm a planet
If possible, can anyone who has some experience reading esoteric philosophy could you read this paper Near Death Experience and the Mind-Body Problem - Near-Death Experiences and the Mind-Body Problem

I've had a discussion where nearly all meaningful conversation has broken down with Jollybear - religiosity and/or strength of religious belief is associated with less intelligence.

I would normally leave type of discussion but I feel as though there might be something learned. Jollybear believes the paper supports the position or proves near death experiences demonstrate the soul or something to that effect exist. However, I read it and I summarised it has the author trying to merge subjectivism and objectivism. The author is sceptical of NDE experiences regarding the dualistic(more common Christian view) and his coined term, "energy materialism." . He is however hopeful that something like the soul could be measured if it exists and that sticking to one's metaphysical stance is unproductive.

I realise this is a fairly time consuming task, but if I could learn from a mistake I made or Jollybear could understand this text from a perceived non-biased perspective then that would be nice. If someone wants to take up the challenge, you can reply here or on the linked thread above.

The article reaches no conclusion at all; it simply considers the question from both sides.

Jumi

I do like what the author says about people seeing the only alternatives as materialism or dualism. Seems very limited to me also, but that's what people love to go for. Especially now that "philosophy is over" seems to be happily announced from all sides that would rather have their ideology dominate and thus declare victory.

Thus the author's "conclusion part" that "the final verdict on NDEs is far from in" is as honest as it gets. The same is holding true today.

charlie sc

I do like what the author says about people seeing the only alternatives as materialism or dualism. Seems very limited to me also, but that's what people love to go for. Especially now that "philosophy is over" seems to be happily announced from all sides that would rather have their ideology dominate and thus declare victory.

Thus the author's "conclusion part" that "the final verdict on NDEs is far from in" is as honest as it gets. The same is holding true today.

Yes, I thought it was a pleasant read.

In the paper he says that halucinatory explanations do not account for the patience knowledge of what took place in the room.

The other peer review papers on IANDS address the same issue.