• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

searching...

onceagainonce

...in the mid-seventies I was on staff at "disciples only" and was in my 20's. Well, I am in my 60's at present. From time to time I go online and search for the people that were involved w/the ministry. I did so today and located bits of info on Roger Grindstaff (his wife was Bonnie) who founded the ministry. Does anybody on this forum know anything about this ministry? It's been awhile but the curiosity is still there. I left there 'bout 1980 and haven't heard from anyone.
The ministry was located in Saugerties and moved to Ossining (or the other way around) New York.

Thank you, brother nic

Last edited:

Wayofthespirit

I am a Monotheistic Deist
We are all but specks of dust or grains of sand in a desert revealed or covered by the wind.
I've never noticed the specks and grains that you mention and I'll wager you've never never heard of the speck and grain that is me and my forum.....but we think that we are as significant as the sparrow that falls to the ground and the hairs that fall from our heads.
I'm pleased to meet you for the first time.....Mike

onceagainonce

Hi...posted last year about 'disciples only' asking if anyone knew something about the ministry which was formed in the early 70's. Since then I discovered that the founders are dead...Roger Dean Grindstaff and his ex-wife Bonnie. They were mighty then ministering to homosexuals and spreading the Gospel...but...the ministry collapsed. Roger ended up president of GLBT and died in 09. I really loved them then and now. So many of the guys that believed then (long ago) went back to their former ways...it's easy...common sense tells you it's wrong...I knew that much when I was a child, but as David says...I WAS FORMED AND SHAPED IN INIQUITY...the enemy is more deceptive than any beast of the field and knows way more about what he is doing than we know about what he is doing to us. Well, daily I stand in the truth by a thread from my perspective but I know the power of God is behind me according to His faithfulness...

I graduated from DO in 1971 and worked there afterwards for a year. I have been married for 38 years and have 4 children. In the onslaught of temptation God has kept me pure regarding homosexuality.

onceagainonce

Hey wbillingsley…strange how this thing has occurred in our lifetime, a ministry, in effect,
that has a 50 or so year span all things considered. The gospel was introduced by those wonderful people (roger and bonnie) and then the responce one way or the other. Some left. Some stayed. Some stood. Some fell. Some are dead and others, like us are still alive. Married for 38 years and 4 children is something that did not happen to me. My story is not that successful. I am so encouraged by your success AND contacting me. Most of what I have discovered concerning D.O. has been dreadful. I graduated and worked for the Grindstaff’s for several years. I was one of the last to graduate. I have been able to contact a number of people (through various methods) associated with the ministry but not all welcoming contacts. I guess you know what Roger did, don’t you? I don’t know what happen to Bonnie after the ministry dissolved except for a Moorefield blog, ‘there will be no miricles here.’
Anyway, I have a home church that I am active with, a few friends, a job, car, place to live and memories of things such as D.O. Roger and I prayed on the kitchen floor, second level of the house in Ossining, N.Y. That’s when the Lord started his work in me and he that has begun a good work in you will finish it. I have so hurt Him in my ignorance and willful disobedience…but he is faithful and I am sure you have found this out.
Sometimes I dream I might have a wife and child then I have to remember I am not Abraham and not married to Sara and that I have allowed satan to rob even that from me, sadly…at 64...I still struggle

nicholas

onceagainonce

A Different Graduation

Disciples Only, the home of which Wilkerson wrote, was directed by Roger Grindstaff in Saugerties, NY. Grindstaff has produced a cassette tape set, “Deliverance From Homosexuality,” which sells for $19.95. According to a promotional order form, “proceeds from the sale of the set will go to this ministry to homosexuals.”

Teen Challenge, in Chicago, said that they do not counsel homosexuals any longer and tell all those requesting help to go to Saugerties. “Once we heard about this program, it's so much easier to send people there if they really want help.” (24) For local counseling in the Chicago area, they suggested Jesus People, U.S.A., who had originally suggested Teen Challenge.

An interview with Mrs. Grindstaff revealed that Disciples Only is no longer in existence and will probably not be restarted. In the program's six years of existence, Grindstaff said 26 people “graduated.” She claims twenty of them have not fallen back into homosexuality, however she admitted, “some of them were what we call bisexual, I suppose.” She also admitted that some of them had been married or had girlfriends, but insisted that this was only a cover-up for their homosexuality prior to counseling. Despite her acknowledgment of this fact, she uses marriage as an indication of successful cure for a few Disciples Only graduates.

When asked how recent her figures were concerning the twenty whom she claimed are now heterosexual, Grindstaff replied: “I don't hear from them all, all the time. I'd have to write each one of them and say 'Have you ever fallen since you graduated?' The ones who graduated five years ago, we don't have a raving correspondence with.” Grindstaff also admitted that five times as many people have come to the Center for short periods of time, but left uncured.
Grindstaff took the stance that the condition of homosexuality itself is a sin and that only by being reoriented to heterosexuality does a person become “ex-gay.” Celibacy is not enough because: “We said it, not repression or abstinence; that's just repressing your desires, abstaining; that sooner or later, it's going to come out.” (25)

During the interview, she admitted that Disciples Only believed a person could not be a homosexual and a Christian at the same time. When asked if heterosexuality were a prerequisite to, or an outcome of, salvation, Grindstaff calmly replied: “outcome.”

No psychologist worked on the Disciples Only staff. According to Grindstaff, her husband is qualified enough because of “the authority given him by God, his knowledge of people, and his own deliverance.” (Mr. Grindstaff supposedly is a “cured” homosexual.) Her own qualifications, she said, are: “I had formal training as an English teacher.”

Grindstaff explained that “cured” homosexuals “gave us evidence (of their 'cures') by their confession of faith and by a feeling which you had, a spiritual intuition, if you want to call it that, that they were ready to graduate

Nicolas, you can reach me at: 920-993-1160 CST at your convenience. Perhaps we can share the good memories. God is faithful...

cixian69

I graduated from DO in 1971 and worked there afterwards for a year. I have been married for 38 years and have 4 children. In the onslaught of temptation God has kept me pure regarding homosexuality.
I think that DO must have been founded about 1970 or was is 1971 or earlier.....is that correct?

Last edited:

cixian69

A Different Graduation

Disciples Only, the home of which Wilkerson wrote, was directed by Roger Grindstaff in Saugerties, NY. Grindstaff has produced a cassette tape set, “Deliverance From Homosexuality,” which sells for $19.95. According to a promotional order form, “proceeds from the sale of the set will go to this ministry to homosexuals.”

Teen Challenge, in Chicago, said that they do not counsel homosexuals any longer and tell all those requesting help to go to Saugerties. “Once we heard about this program, it's so much easier to send people there if they really want help.” (24) For local counseling in the Chicago area, they suggested Jesus People, U.S.A., who had originally suggested Teen Challenge.

An interview with Mrs. Grindstaff revealed that Disciples Only is no longer in existence and will probably not be restarted. In the program's six years of existence, Grindstaff said 26 people “graduated.” She claims twenty of them have not fallen back into homosexuality, however she admitted, “some of them were what we call bisexual, I suppose.” She also admitted that some of them had been married or had girlfriends, but insisted that this was only a cover-up for their homosexuality prior to counseling. Despite her acknowledgment of this fact, she uses marriage as an indication of successful cure for a few Disciples Only graduates.

When asked how recent her figures were concerning the twenty whom she claimed are now heterosexual, Grindstaff replied: “I don't hear from them all, all the time. I'd have to write each one of them and say 'Have you ever fallen since you graduated?' The ones who graduated five years ago, we don't have a raving correspondence with.” Grindstaff also admitted that five times as many people have come to the Center for short periods of time, but left uncured.
Grindstaff took the stance that the condition of homosexuality itself is a sin and that only by being reoriented to heterosexuality does a person become “ex-gay.” Celibacy is not enough because: “We said it, not repression or abstinence; that's just repressing your desires, abstaining; that sooner or later, it's going to come out.” (25)

During the interview, she admitted that Disciples Only believed a person could not be a homosexual and a Christian at the same time. When asked if heterosexuality were a prerequisite to, or an outcome of, salvation, Grindstaff calmly replied: “outcome.”

No psychologist worked on the Disciples Only staff. According to Grindstaff, her husband is qualified enough because of “the authority given him by God, his knowledge of people, and his own deliverance.” (Mr. Grindstaff supposedly is a “cured” homosexual.) Her own qualifications, she said, are: “I had formal training as an English teacher.”

Grindstaff explained that “cured” homosexuals “gave us evidence (of their 'cures') by their confession of faith and by a feeling which you had, a spiritual intuition, if you want to call it that, that they were ready to graduate
Hi onceagainonce
You found the piece written by James Peron.
Just before the piece you quoted it says "in the The Coming Purge; the Homosexual Church Will Be Cast Out. by David Wilkerson he says that “for the past ten years, we have helped finance a home for homosexuals.” This would have been DO but it seem it was only in existence for six years not ten.

I'm doing some research on the early days of Teen Challenge so would be really helpful is anyone here could clarify these dates for me.

thanks