• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Searching in the depth of our inner being.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Is there other religious or spiritual practitioner in abrahamic dir who have experienced to go in to the depth of their own negative side, to understand their own fault and evil side?

If you have done so, what did you learn? Answer only if you feel its ok to share it.

Gargovic Malkav

Sure.
Here's a little bit of insight I got from introspection and experimentation.

I learned that when I'm quick to pity myself, it's easy to find an excuse to be rebellious, mean and/or indifferent to other people's lives.
As I don't want to be selfish, I learned not to pity myself so quickly,
so that I'm not so caught up in my own misery that I become ignorant to the reality of other people's lives.

I also learned that unrestricted freedom without rules or regulations lead to addiction, impulsivity, emptiness and existential crises.
But once I get used to this kind of freedom, it gets hard to get my feelings and thoughts under control, making it hard to break bad habits.

But when things get too strict and unforgiving, I develop feelings of chronic anxiety, self-loathing and/or contempt and sadistic tendencies towards those who aren't like me.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Mat 15:7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
Mat 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
Mat 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mat 15:10 And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand:
Mat 15:11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.
Mat 15:12 Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?
Mat 15:13 But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.
Mat 15:14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.
Mat 15:15 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable.
Mat 15:16 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?
Mat 15:17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
Mat 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
Mat 15:19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
Mat 15:20 These are the things which defile a man:
but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.
A lot of Nice verse from the bible, but how about your own words or experience?

LightofTruth

I am sure God will forgive you :) knowing not to do those things again :)
I have flesh that cares nothing for the laws of God. We all have the same flesh. The flesh only wants what it wants and is not satisfied until it gets it. Therein lies the struggle. "Walk in the spirit and you will not fulfill the desires of the flesh". The flesh wars against the spirit and the spirit against the flesh, these two are contrary to one another.

LightofTruth

It seems my posting of Scripture was in violation of the rules. Not too sure Jesus listed that as what defiles the man though.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
New Is there other religious or spiritual practitioner in abrahamic dir who have experienced to go in to the depth of their own negative side, to understand their own fault and evil side?
I did.
If you have done so, what did you learn?
I learned about self-delusion and the value in questioning impulsive thoughts and actions. Also, one cannot change the past.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I have flesh that cares nothing for the laws of God. We all have the same flesh. The flesh only wants what it wants and is not satisfied until it gets it. Therein lies the struggle. "Walk in the spirit and you will not fulfill the desires of the flesh". The flesh wars against the spirit and the spirit against the flesh, these two are contrary to one another.
Very similar to what I experience in islam:)
The way i deal with it is to look at my past action words and thoughts during the day. And ask my self " have i done what God ask of me today" if I have not, i ask for forgivness and know i have to become better.

LightofTruth

"The drunkard shall not inherit the kingdom of God"

I was a drunkard. That means that I drank alcohol to excess. Once I start drinking alcohol I don't stop until I'm so intoxicated that I pass out. You might say that I have a certain affinity for alcohol where someone else may not. My flesh longs for it. It doesn't seem to care what the consequences might be.

The only answer for me is to remain abstinent from alcohol. If I desire to inherit the kingdom of God, I must.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
At one point in my life, I decided to be "honest" and "face my dark side." It was an attempt to be utterly authentic and have some real integrity.

All it did was mess up my brain, my heart, and my soul. I had to get out of the bad place it put me by reminding myself that *I* am whoever I choose to be, and that I can choose to be a good person.

The whole experience wasn't worth it.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Is there other religious or spiritual practitioner in abrahamic dir who have experienced to go in to the depth of their own negative side, to understand their own fault and evil side?

If you have done so, what did you learn? Answer only if you feel its ok to share it.
Well....anytime we want to even the score with anyone, in any way -- even just to make them look so very totally wrong (about more than they are) -- then that is the evil side of us, the flesh, trying to take over.

Very many Old Testament and New Testament verses on this, so I'll just put one and a link to dozens more: Romans 12:19 Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but leave room for God's wrath. For it is written: "Vengeance is Mine; I will repay, says the Lord."
What Does the Bible Say About Vengeance Is Mine Says The Lord?

So, the evil side of us is always around, because it's in the flesh, and we have a daily walk where we try to walk in the Spirit, and not in the flesh.

And that's why the prayer Christ gave to pray to God our father each day also has:

"Lead us away from temptations, and deliver us out of evil."