• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scitso's perception thread

scitsofreaky

Yeah, that's right, I own this tread.
Can we percieve an absolute truth? If so, how do we know it is absolute?

*Thanks to Sunstone, without you this thread wouldn't be possible.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
A direct perception of absolute truth would be a mystical experience, wouldn't it? I'm not sure it could be verified independently of the person who experienced it.

Pah

Uber all member
Sunstone said:
A direct perception of absolute truth would be a mystical experience, wouldn't it? I'm not sure it could be verified independently of the person who experienced it.
Exactly - all thoughts of anything abosulte is purely subjective

dan

Descarte doubted everything until he arrived at something that could not be doubted: Cogito ergo sum (I think, therefore I am). Upon this absolute truth he found a foundation for all truth. This thought is relatively easy to perceive, and hardly subjective.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
scitsofreaky said:
Yeah, that's right, I own this tread.
Can we percieve an absolute truth? If so, how do we know it is absolute?

*Thanks to Sunstone, without you this thread wouldn't be possible.
We perceive absolute truth only by observing absolute evidence, don't we? For example, I know that I will one day die, because everything eventually dies and has since the dawn of existence.

Pah

Uber all member
EEWRED said:
We perceive absolute truth only by observing absolute evidence, don't we? For example, I know that I will one day die, because everything eventually dies and has since the dawn of existence.
dan said:
Descarte doubted everything until he arrived at something that could not be doubted: Cogito ergo sum (I think, therefore I am). Upon this absolute truth he found a foundation for all truth. This thought is relatively easy to perceive, and hardly subjective.
Both of these involve a process of the brain. "Percive" is used in both.

Pah

Uber all member
Pah said:
dan said:
Then you render the question unanswerable by definition.
Not really! "Can we percieve an absolute truth? If so, how do we know it is absolute?" is answered. Yes, you can percieve a truth; no, it is not absolute.

dan

Pah said:
Not really! "Can we percieve an absolute truth? If so, how do we know it is absolute?" is answered. Yes, you can percieve a truth; no, it is not absolute.
I'll amend my statement: your definition of terms answers the question automatically, thereby rendering it meaningless.

Pah

Uber all member
dan said:
I'll amend my statement: your definition of terms answers the question automatically, thereby rendering it meaningless.
Yeah - I guess it is definitional but people persist in thinking that absolute is objective

scitsofreaky

I disagree, I think we percieve with our minds as opposed to our brains. Our brains are just tangles of neurons and chemicals, and while you can watch the reactions occur in the brain, there is no way of telling what is being thought. Perception is the bias our thought processes have, and I have never heard of a way to emirically observe a thought process, just the chemical processes that occur during a thought.
An absolute truth is an absolute belief!
Interesting. Can a belief be truth? If so, what is the difference when it comes to absolute truth/belief?