• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientific and Historical Accuracy in Religious Works

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Greetings! :)

Given that the Baha'i scriptures were all written between 90 and 166 years ago, their accuracy is key!

Indeed, we have the original manuscript of EVERY ONE of our 200 volumes of scripture, and nothing is considered Baha'i scripture unless we have the original! (Each was either written directly by its author or dictated and then checked/vetted immediately afterward.

So this is a wonderful contrast with most earlier religions, the pedigree of whose scriptures is usually far less certain and most of which are at least either innacurate or altered to some extent.

As to their scientific accuracy, that really isn't a problem given that the Baha'i Faith explicitly endorses science, and our scriptures stress the harmony of science and religion!

Best, :)

Bruce

What, if anything, do they say about the origins of the world and what's in it?

BruceDLimber

Greetings redux! :)

What, if anything, do they [the Baha'i scriptures] say about the origins of the world and what's in it?

Among other things, our scriptures say:

”O SON OF BOUNTY!
“Out of the wastes of nothingness, with the clay of My command I made thee to appear, and have ordained for thy training every atom in existence and the essence of all created things. Thus, ere thou didst issue from thy mother’s womb, I destined for thee two founts of gleaming milk, eyes to watch over thee, and hearts to love thee. Out of My loving-kindness, ’neath the shade of My mercy I nurtured thee, and guarded thee by the essence of My grace and favor. And My purpose in all this was that thou mightest attain My everlasting dominion and become worthy of My invisible bestowals….”
--The Hidden Words, Part One, #32

"This gift [understanding] giveth man the power to discern the truth in all things, leadeth him to that which is right, and helpeth him to discover the secrets of creation."
--(Gleanings, XCV, p. 194)

I'll also point out that according to our teachings, our purpose here is twofold:
  • individaually, to acquire the virtues we'll need both here and in the Next Life, and
  • in aggregate, to carry forward an ever-advancing civilization.
Finally, as to the importance of science, here's one of my favorite quotes:

“[E]ven in Europe it is admitted that religion is the opponent of science, and that science is the destroyer of the foundations of religion. While the religion of God is the promoter of truth, the founder of science and knowledge, it is full of goodwill for learned men; it is the civilizer of mankind, the discoverer of the secrets of nature, and the enlightener of the horizons of the world. Consequently, how can it be said to oppose knowledge? God forbid! Nay, for God, knowledge is the most glorious gift of man and the most noble of human perfections. To oppose knowledge is ignorant, and he who detests knowledge and science is not a man, but rather an animal without intelligence. For knowledge is light, life, felicity, perfection, beauty and the means of approaching the Threshold of Unity. It is the honor and glory of the world of humanity, and the greatest bounty of God. Knowledge is identical with guidance, and ignorance is real error.

"Happy are those who spend their days in gaining knowledge, in
discovering the secrets of nature, and in penetrating the subtleties of
pure truth! Woe to those who are contented with ignorance, whose
hearts are gladdened by thoughtless imitation, who have fallen into the
lowest depths of ignorance and foolishness, and who have wasted their
lives!"
—(Some Answered Questions, page 137)

Best! :)

Bruce