• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science doesn't say anything about Religion and vice versa

gnomon

Why do people try and use Science to discredit Religion? The two of them are non-compatible because they determine two different things: one determines the observable causes of observable out-comes.

The other attempts to establish how man should live based on a number of influences be it philosophy, or divine inspiration.

Like-wise I do not get the arguments by religious people that attempt to confront Science's discoveries based on their doctrines...that's not what Christianity is about, that's for sure...the Old Testament is virtually an appendage of reference and is not to be taken literally.

It certainly doesn't matter if there's evolution or not, because it has no baring on the existence of God, if we can know the mechanisms of his creation then there is no reason not to be able to know how he created it, in some time...

But it will never explain away God to know how the Universe formed and we evolved...

It will never explain away the need for religion to guide us to a better life.

Science does not try to discredit religion. Or vice versa.

Religious philosophies have been and continue stating much about the natural world. And guess what science is pretty much about. Put two and two together and what you get is indeed the scientific method challenging religious concepts.

So what.

Anyway, the definition of religion is not a guide to a better life. It doesn't matter if people do personalize in that manner. Nor is it the meaning of science. So "a guide to a better life" has nothing to do with the science vs. religion debates.

S-word

Why do people try and use Science to discredit Religion? The two of them are non-compatible because they determine two different things: one determines the observable causes of observable out-comes.
The other attempts to establish how man should live based on a number of influences be it philosophy, or divine inspiration.

I longed to hear someone express the words I couldn't speak
Reveal to me the mysteries of Life, which all men seek
So I saught the men of science, who claim God's body has no mind
The say the Cosmos still is growing, but will die one day in time
So then the men of piousness, with them I sat me down
But they say God's mind is bodiless those men in flowing gowns
Then finally in silent dream, just me and 'Who I Am'
We floated on life's living stream with a pen held in my hand
And then the veil began to tear in this Temple that is me
And there within the sanctury, I saw the one that we will be.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard

Because some people think religion has too much control over the world given its questionable reality.

Personally i do not like religions dominance is society as i think organised religion is not healthy for us, but i do think your statement that religion "observes" is untrue. Religion is religion, take it or leave it. You either have faith or you don't.

rojse

RF Addict

Religion makes observations about the world that are scientifically testable. The occurence of a world-wide flood, for example is not just a religious event, but a scientific assertation. A virgin woman might be seen as religious, but can also be tested scientifically.

Now, if by some strange situation, we had the body of Jesus, and could prove scientifically that he had no biological father, would you care about the results or not, S-word?

crystalonyx

Now, if by some strange situation, we had the body of Jesus, and could prove scientifically that he had no biological father, would you care about the results or not, S-word?

How could this be done, to be human, he would have to have a full set of chromosomes, to be male, a "Y" chromosome. Would you recognize a "god" chromosome? LOL

Rolling_Stone

Like-wise I do not get the arguments by religious people that attempt to confront Science's discoveries based on their doctrines...that's not what Christianity is about, that's for sure...the Old Testament is virtually an appendage of reference and is not to be taken literally.

It certainly doesn't matter if there's evolution or not, because it has no baring on the existence of God, if we can know the mechanisms of his creation then there is no reason not to be able to know how he created it, in some time...

But it will never explain away God to know how the Universe formed and we evolved...

It will never explain away the need for religion to guide us to a better life.
I'm a believer in science-religion integration. :rainbow1:

rojse

RF Addict
How could this be done, to be human, he would have to have a full set of chromosomes, to be male, a "Y" chromosome. Would you recognize a "god" chromosome? LOL

This is a hypothetical situation. The exact science is irrelevant, I was only after a hypothetical answer from S-word, but an answer from you, CrystalOnyx, would do just as well.

If we had the body of Jesus, and could scientifically prove that he had no father, would you care about the results or not?