• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science doesn't belong to atheism

uberrobonomicon4000

^ This. Frubals due. :)

Right. These kind of threads bug me. Vent time.

Atheism does not mean "accepting science rather than religion" - there are atheistic religions.
Atheism does not mean "accepting truth over falsehood" - there are atheists who live in dream worlds.
Atheism does not mean "avoiding superstition" - there are superstitious atheists.
Atheism does not mean "accepting only science" - there are atheists who reject many fields of science, and many theists who accept it.
Atheism does not mean "being smarter than those theists" - there are atheists who are incredibly moronic.
Atheism does not have a monopoly on science; those who think atheism somehow means being more honest are laughably dishonest and ignorant.

Atheism does mean "not believing in god/s". Nothing else. At all.

Theism does not mean "accepting creation myths" - many, many theists reject them; some religions lack them.
Theism does not mean "opposing science" - most theists are happy to accept science.
Theism does not mean "being superstitious" - unless that person deems "superstition" to be anything they personally disagree with, in which case, they're douches.
Theism does not mean "hating on the gays" - there are GBLTQ theists, and straight supporters of the GBLTQ community.
Theism does not mean "having a lower education" - there are doctors, PhD holders, people with masters degrees, and more at my church alone.
Theism does not mean "not thinking for yourself" - theists frequently do decide on their own beliefs.
Theism does not have a monopoly on science; those who think theism somehow means being more honest are laughably dishonest and ignorant.

Theism does mean "believing in god/s". Nothing else. At all.

Now, everyone shut up and dance.
Well said, and this pretty much sums it up for me.
I would pay you money for this if it was printed on a shirt or poster.

Musty

That's true. I imagine it would be difficult to believe in a God as creator and at the same time understand evolutionary processes because they totally contradict each other. How do believers cope with the conflict?

It depends whether or not you choose to believe in the Bible literally. My understanding is that a Christian is someone who has accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, not someone who accepts certain Biblical claims or interpretations of the Bible as being factually true in face the face of scientific evidence to the contrary.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Explain why think it does. :D

Science is a common tool of religion and non-religion alike.
No messenger prophet of the one true creator God, anywhere in the world, ever opposed it; they informed by Revelation what was beyond the pysical and material and pertained to ethical, moral and spiritual realms.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Creative processes and evolutionary processes are two distinct processes for how things come about. Either the universe evolved and continues to evolve, or it was created.

Excellent. From what, precisely, did the universe and it's laws evolve and what falsifiable theory supports this contention?

jtartar

Explain why think it does. :D

uberobonomicon,
No, science does not belong to athiests. The fact is, true science agrees completely with what the Bible says. It is only pseudoscience that tells a lying picture of nature.
One real problem is the Doctrinaires, who have an understanding of the scriptures completely erroneous, but will die before they would, or could, realize that their beliefs are not found in the Holy Scriptures. Some of the doctrinaires beliefs are different from true science, and they believe that science is wrong, even though they have been able to prove much of the science.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
uberobonomicon,
No, science does not belong to athiests. The fact is, true science agrees completely with what the Bible says. It is only pseudoscience that tells a lying picture of nature.
One real problem is the Doctrinaires, who have an understanding of the scriptures completely erroneous, but will die before they would, or could, realize that their beliefs are not found in the Holy Scriptures. Some of the doctrinaires beliefs are different from true science, and they believe that science is wrong, even though they have been able to prove much of the science.
:facepalm:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
At the risk of getting jumped on, here's how I see the relationship between science and atheism:

- fundamentally, science is the systematic application of skepticism.
- I have never been able to see how skepticism, consistently applied, could allow for belief in a god.

If anyone sees a way, I'd like to know what it is.

Me Myself

Back to my username
uberobonomicon,
No, science does not belong to athiests. The fact is, true science agrees completely with what the Bible says. .

If I had to choose between the "true science" your mother taught you on home schooling, or your sect leader taught you on e weekend intensive and the science taught by peer reviewed articles written by certified profesionals on the field...I would have no idea who to choose.

Maybe if I open the Red Riding Hood on a random page and point at a verse, the answer will come to me.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
At the risk of getting jumped on, here's how I see the relationship between science and atheism:

- fundamentally, science is the systematic application of skepticism.
- I have never been able to see how skepticism, consistently applied, could allow for belief in a god.

If anyone sees a way, I'd like to know what it is.

How are you defining skepticism?

Besides, even the most scientificy among us must and do make assumptions to get through life.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure if I agree with the defining of science as a systematic application of skepticism. It is a method, not a philosophy.

Last edited: