• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

School

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
Anyone here a high school drop out and is planning on getting a GED?

I dropped out of high school in 2014 and is going to plan on getting my GED.

Burl

I dropped out at age 15.

If you apply to the military they will give you a GED test and I'm pretty sure you can then forget about joining up. The military can't call you up for service if you don't have a highschool diploma or GED.

Kapalika

Premium Member

Many years ago when I was a teenager I had health issues and so had to drop out. A year later I got my GED. They say it's harder to get than to pass HS, but considering you can take the entire test in two days (one if you want to be there all day) and it's easy if you mostly know your math and science... I'd say it's easier and will save a lot of time if you do really well on it. But one could make the argument that you are less prepared for college without the highschool experience but I'm not sure. Maybe it is harder for other people though... but I got top marks in everything when I took it.

I'd recommend Khan's Academy to brush up on the math. Science too maybe. And if you are no good at writing I'd practice some with that too since I think there is an essay section on the test that you got to write in some ungodly amount of time like half an hour. If you have anything at all, anxiety, ADHD, use that to your full advantage to get more time on the parts of the test you need it in. Sometimes all you got to do is tell them and ask, other times they might request a note/letter from a doctor.

Your state should have a practice test you can see and take. I'd go over that to get a feel for what you need to know. If I recall correctly the history sections are pretty general so if you paid attention to all the major people and events in HS you should do fine with that but brush up on it just to be sure.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Eh from all the statistical stuff I've seen it's actually harder; only sixty something percent of highschool graduates can pass the GED test.

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
Many years ago when I was a teenager I had health issues and so had to drop out. A year later I got my GED. They say it's harder to get than to pass HS, but considering you can take the entire test in two days (one if you want to be there all day) and it's easy if you mostly know your math and science... I'd say it's easier and will save a lot of time if you do really well on it. But one could make the argument that you are less prepared for college without the highschool experience but I'm not sure. Maybe it is harder for other people though... but I got top marks in everything when I took it.

I'd recommend Khan's Academy to brush up on the math. Science too maybe. And if you are no good at writing I'd practice some with that too since I think there is an essay section on the test that you got to write in some ungodly amount of time like half an hour. If you have anything at all, anxiety, ADHD, use that to your full advantage to get more time on the parts of the test you need it in. Sometimes all you got to do is tell them and ask, other times they might request a note/letter from a doctor.

Your state should have a practice test you can see and take. I'd go over that to get a feel for what you need to know. If I recall correctly the history sections are pretty general so if you paid attention to all the major people and events in HS you should do fine with that but brush up on it just to be sure.
The 2nd time I was in 12th grade I dropped out. I am not great with math nor history. Math is my worst subject. When I took geometry the first year in 12th grade I got straight F's. History class was boring. I guess the teachers made it boring. I have ADHD and a learning disability. I was told that getting a GED is "extremely hard". They make it sound like I can't pass that sh*t.

Kapalika

Premium Member
I mentioned this earlier:

https://www.khanacademy.org/

It's free. It's a non-profit too. You can study at any grade level and even some college. Last I looked their math part was really good. It has practice stuff, little tests/quizzes and help and videos too. You can take a placement test to see your skill level with math. You can start with doing it 20 minutes a day for practice.

If you get stuck I think they have hints I know they have guides as well as forums to get help as well. You can also see some problems/questions and their answers and how to get them.

Someday I need to go back and relearn some math. I know enough algebra and geometry to get by but that's almost it.

tth1119

I know this thread is kind of old but I have a couple of things to say here. I got my GED because I dropped out of school during my last year. My mother passed away, I was going through too much, and the brat kids I went to school with decided to torment me worse after I lost my mom. They actually started making fun of me because of losing my mom, I couldn't stand the school, I couldn't stand all of the snobby kids, so I said screw it and dropped out. Honestly, to me the GED was so much easier than I expected. It was so much faster too lol. I do suggest that if you aren't good at math, to definitely study. The rest of the tests seemed like 5th grade level, or middle school level to me. I was shocked by how easy it was.

One more thing to add is what branch of the Military allows you to get a GED through joining? I thought all branches required at least a GED from the start, and some require a diploma, not a GED. It also depends on the need in the Military for the job you want in the Military for how lenient they will be on allowing a GED only or a diploma.

Burl

what branch of the Military allows you to get a GED through joining?

As recently as 2000 we helped a runaway get their GED by applying to the Army. Myself was at the end of the Vietnam era when requirements may have been more lenient.

Last edited:

Onyx

Premium Member

Back when I got my GED, there were free night classes, where you could focus on stuff you needed to catch up on. Can you do something like that?