• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Say No to Flea and Tick Dog shampoos!!

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Just wanted to get this warning out there:
I gave my dog a bath yesterday and used a flea and tick shampoo. He was acting very strange this morning-- lethargic, trembling, crying. I took him in to the vet as soon as they opened. We had went on a hike yesterday, so I was worried that he had gotten into something dangerous, since he rolled in some dead animal and swam in the creek-- hence the bath. I just mentioned off-hand that the shampoo I had used was a flea and tick one.

You could tell the vet was angry-- not at me, but that this product was still out there. It is actually pretty toxic to many dogs. He's seen it before, where the dogs can't stop shaking, and it has killed cats.

Corp had to get a fully bag of fluids in the hopes of getting the toxins out of his system. I've re-rinsed him off, and I'm going out to get some dawn to give him another bath to hopefully rinse any leftover residue out of his skin.

If you have this product, I highly recommend throwing it away now. Not worth the chance. I'm hoping my buddy pulls through.

corpnme.jpg

Draka

Wonder Woman
Just wanted to get this warning out there:
I gave my dog a bath yesterday and used a flea and tick shampoo. He was acting very strange this morning-- lethargic, trembling, crying. I took him in to the vet as soon as they opened. We had went on a hike yesterday, so I was worried that he had gotten into something dangerous, since he rolled in some dead animal and swam in the creek-- hence the bath. I just mentioned off-hand that the shampoo I had used was a flea and tick one.

You could tell the vet was angry-- not at me, but that this product was still out there. It is actually pretty toxic to many dogs. He's seen it before, where the dogs can't stop shaking, and it has killed cats.

Corp had to get a fully bag of fluids in the hopes of getting the toxins out of his system. I've re-rinsed him off, and I'm going out to get some dawn to give him another bath to hopefully rinse any leftover residue out of his skin.

If you have this product, I highly recommend throwing it away now. Not worth the chance. I'm hoping my buddy pulls through.

corpnme.jpg

What kind/brand was it? There are many different ones. There are also powder type ones as well. Which ones did he say are the ones to look out for? I guess I can always ask at the vet myself, though I rarely ever use the stuff. Normally I use either Frontline or Advantage for my cats, can't remember which I usually get now. My vet has it on record. Need to go get some actually, cats showing signs of fleas. Haven't seen any myself, but they're showing the symptoms of getting bit.

apophenia

My sweetest and best wishes go out to your beautiful friend, and to you. Have you asked your vet about how the toxicity affects the body ? Is it stressing his liver ? Maybe some liver support like St Mary's thistle may help. That is what I would do.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
What kind/brand was it? There are many different ones. There are also powder type ones as well. Which ones did he say are the ones to look out for? I guess I can always ask at the vet myself, though I rarely ever use the stuff. Normally I use either Frontline or Advantage for my cats, can't remember which I usually get now. My vet has it on record. Need to go get some actually, cats showing signs of fleas. Haven't seen any myself, but they're showing the symptoms of getting bit.

It was Hartz Ultraguard Rid Flea & Tick Shampoo for Dogs.

The active ingredient is pyrethrins. According to my vet, that's the big toxin that's harming these pets. It was originally derived from a natural insect repellent found in mums, but now it is synthetically made. This synthetic version is super toxic-- to pets and humans.

I usually use the gels too, like Frontline, that you just put in the middle of their back once a month. Vet said these were less worrisome, but to still be careful. I can't put anything on Corp for a while, and I'm gonna work with the vet to find something with as low a dose as possible, or preferably, something that doesn't have pyrethrins in it at all.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
My sweetest and best wishes go out to your beautiful friend, and to you. Have you asked your vet about how the toxicity affects the body ? Is it stressing his liver ? Maybe some liver support like St Mary's thistle may help. That is what I would do.

Thanks apophenia.

I'm gonna call vet tomorrow with update and to get more specifics. The IV was to flush the toxins from his system with a massive amount of fluids. He's also on a special diet of rice and ground beef to avoid introducing anything else for his system to handle. From the sounds of this, this does effect neuro (can cause seizures-- it did cause trembling in Corp-- and extreme lethargy-- again, Corp is still barely moving), as well as GI tract (vet also put him on Pepcid AC, 10 mg, morning and evening.) I imagine his liver and kidneys are in overdrive right now trying to clear everything out. Probably will avoid giving him anything else for now-- terrified that I might do more harm.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Thanks apophenia.

I'm gonna call vet tomorrow with update and to get more specifics. The IV was to flush the toxins from his system with a massive amount of fluids. He's also on a special diet of rice and ground beef to avoid introducing anything else for his system to handle. From the sounds of this, this does effect neuro (can cause seizures-- it did cause trembling in Corp-- and extreme lethargy-- again, Corp is still barely moving), as well as GI tract (vet also put him on Pepcid AC, 10 mg, morning and evening.) I imagine his liver and kidneys are in overdrive right now trying to clear everything out. Probably will avoid giving him anything else for now-- terrified that I might do more harm.

Poor boy. I've been there, sitting with your pet while they're just not appearing to want to move at all, or they almost look like they want to, but just can't exert the energy to do so. So sad. Hopefully the meds do their intended job and he bounces back.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Poor boy. I've been there, sitting with your pet while they're just not appearing to want to move at all, or they almost look like they want to, but just can't exert the energy to do so. So sad. Hopefully the meds do their intended job and he bounces back.

This is the first time he's ever really been sick. It's scary 'cause they can't talk to you and tell you what's wrong. I feel so bad that I caused this.

He's doing a lot better this morning. A lot perkier. His tail still looks broken-- he's holding it straight down, and it looks incapable of wagging. But, he was sniffing the air on the car ride, and was excited to see his best buddy Barker (I had to go to work today, so my aunt and her dog are babysitting him).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't believe that company is still in business.

Best wishes to him. It sounds like he's rallying, but I'd try to keep him rested and relaxed. His body needs to heal. It's not your fault.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
My husband is in the pharmacutical business and has mentioned many times that most products by the Hartz brand are terribly poisonous. (We have two cats)

I'm hoping your pup pulls through. :(

Roadrider

Since I spend a lot of my time in the woods I eat a small piece of poison ivy in early spring before the sap is high, one week I eat a little bit the next week I eat more and so on and so on. In the end I eat a full leaf at high sap (red on the vine) and it has no effect, in fact I can roll around in a patch of it and suffer no ill effects

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Your dog is a beautiful animal. Maybe theres a class action lawsuit somewhere. I not a big fan of them, but occasionally it might be a good thing to help get harmful products off the market.
Best wishes that your dog stays healthy and well.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Corp is almost completely back to his old self, I'm happy to report. His tail is still a little stiff, and he's still a bit lethargic. But all in all, my buddy is back. :)

Warren Clark

Informer
I am sorry you had to go through that with your best friend. I only use items approved by my vet because of some of the poisons in the shampoos and gels.

no-body

Yeah I learned this the hard way not with the shampoo but with the cheap knock off flea medication. I tried a few test drops on both small and big dogs and they all reacted the same way, lethargy and trembling it was a really scary reaction. I have conferred with a few other people with big and small dogs, all different species and every single dog reacted the same way (about six different dogs in total) Hartz and Sgts gold I believe? scary stuff. I have no idea why they are allowed to market this poison.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Corp is almost completely back to his old self, I'm happy to report. His tail is still a little stiff, and he's still a bit lethargic. But all in all, my buddy is back. :)

That's great Falvlun. :)