• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satanic /Pagisnistic / Etc Names

Murf661

Hi,
I was wondering if there are any names for Satan, and his daemons other than Satan Etc. In any religion I can only find a few references to daemons and I was wondering are any named, and is there a name for "a host of daemons" like there are for angels.

Thanx.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hehee, well, as we learned through one of our members, "Amy" is one.

Are you looking for names from a specific tradition, or more in general?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Adversary, Morning Star, Lucifer, Beezlebub, Father of All Lies, Dragon, Apollyon, Belial, Devil, Serpent of Old... he has a lot of names.

I'm less studied on demons. Wikipedia has copious information on them, though.

Murf661

I'm after them for a band name and possibly, members nick names. We are going to be playing Heavy Metal to Industrial metal so we want a quite satanic name..

ThisShouldMakeSense

Legion was the name of the demons that possesed the man who lived amongst the graves in Jesus' time...oh, and beelzebub, the original serpent, the great dragon...were ones for satan.

JerryL

One signifigant reason is because Jews and then Christians basically took everything worshipped which was not Jehovia and declared it Shatan. The idea was brought to them by the Zoroastrians after the Persians conqured the Babylonians, who had occupied Isreal for some time. So Shatan's first forms mimiced Babylonian god (the snake was the symbol of Babylon). You'll find most of the rest of the names scattered throughout myths (Baal, for example, was a king in the OT who some worshipped. As a result, the Isrealites committed genocide against the people of his city.)

Merlin

Bastet said:
Not only that, but apparently a bloke as well. :p
Yes it strange that isn't it? Even the ladies who insist God is a woman (Our mother, who art in heaven), never claim that the devil is female. Does anybody know why?