• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satanic Jurisprudence

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Maybe it just my bias towards Islamic theology or my love of legal philosophy but I am developing a rough conception of "Satanic Jurisprudence.

When it comes to religion I treat it all in a very legalistic way which makes it very compatible to my metaphysical pallet. With that being said I am in the works of developing a methodology for Islamic/Arabian inspired Satanism that is counter the traditional Hellenic and European themed norm found amongst most darkened brethren today. I am essentially proposing a Satanic alternative to fiqh which will unlike the 'divine imposed' religious law imposed upon the masses in a presumed objective manner. Satanic Jurisprudence will be what it is, a theory of law that is only created, legislated and given heed to by the Satanist himself.
You are essentially creating your own set of rules, conduct and asserting your own mental will and prowess upon yourself and making your own actions conform to your desires. Think of it as a form of contract to yourself in which you are able to create and satisfy your own soul and not your body. This of course is a way of self gratifying your intellectual capabilities and life instead of sitting in the slums as a hedonist of no worth.

You can excessive this Satanic Jurisprudence mentally or physically by simply asserting your will over your actions or actually writing your desires down. Best to choose the latter :D

ScottySatan

I understood Satanism to be independent of other religions except for imagery. To understand this better, can you outline point-by-point the similarities and differences between these two ideas you're talking about? Maybe bring in some hypothetical examples?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I understood Satanism to be independent of other religions except for imagery.
It is. I am just inspired by religions that is all. I enjoy studying them and enjoy theology greatly. You cannot make Satanism yet alone anything else independent of another religion. Satanists did not even invent the word Satan as it is a Hebrew word used in Jewish literature. By this logic Satanism can be declared a form of Judaism.

To understand this better, can you outline point-by-point the similarities and differences between these two ideas you're talking about? Maybe bring in some hypothetical examples?

What I am saying is that Satanists should not think of Satanism as a religion because it has no significant universal element between Satanists. Very few Satanists get along and that is because Satanism caters to the individual and this is not something religions do at all. This is if anything, anti-religious.
Because of this I believe that Satanist should handle Satanism has a form of legal theory(jurisprudence) that is only relevant upon the individual. To formulate self binding and self created laws and formulate the legality of one's own behavior.

Satanism exits the scope of religion and often times theism because it formulates a bizarre sort of auto-theism(where a person is their own god). This is why I believe that Satanism should be best viewed upon as a form of jurisprudence since it is the only way I can say atheistic and theistic Satanists holding any sort of relevant bond.

ScottySatan

Satanists should not think of Satanism as a religion because it has no significant universal element between Satanists. Very few Satanists get along and that is because Satanism caters to the individual and this is not something religions do at all. This is if anything, anti-religious.
Because of this I believe that Satanist should handle Satanism has a form of legal theory(jurisprudence) that is only relevant upon the individual.

Why should Satanists not getting along preclude Satanism from being a Religion? It's been said early on in this religion that we surely would not get along by definition of who we are.

Who ever said that a religion required harmony? I think religious disharmony may or may not have outdone harmony in the history of the world, but it's had a strong impact either way.

To me a religion contains: 1) maybe a creation story, 2) maybe a coherent subset of principles, 3) partially-coherent ritual, mysticism, and passion. 4) An irrational way to be happier. Satanism meets those criteria.

no call for harmony unless your mythology dictates it. Satanism isn't the only religion that doesn't.

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Why should Satanists not getting along preclude Satanism from being a Religion? It's been said early on in this religion that we surely would not get along by definition of who we are.

Who ever said that a religion required harmony? I think religious disharmony may or may not have outdone harmony in the history of the world, but it's had a strong impact either way.

To me a religion contains: 1) maybe a creation story, 2) maybe a coherent subset of principles, 3) partially-coherent ritual, mysticism, and passion. 4) An irrational way to be happier. Satanism meets those criteria.

no call for harmony unless your mythology dictates it. Satanism isn't the only religion that doesn't.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what he means is there isn't a single tenet that is shared with ALL Satanists. I agree for "satanism" as a general term; Belief in God? Some do, some don't. Worship or revering something to high standards (not necessarily a deity)? Some do, some don't. Have specified instructions on how you should live your life? Entirely personal and not shared instructions.

I admit to having limited knowledge on Satanism, so if this is an inaccurate understanding of it (satanism as a general term) don't bite. I can't envision Satanism as an organization. It's as loose as Kim Kardashian. I have no idea how it'd work as a religion - similarly I don't see why someone would call a square piece of glass a window if they have no frame.

I guess what I'm saying is: An organization that promotes diversity and is against herd conformity is too ironic to be called an organization while still living up to it. And while this is a problem for many (not all) LHP organizations, Satanism has another thing holding it back from being a religion: The term branches off into different types, the types branch off to smaller groups, the groups branch off into individual perspectives.

It can't be an organization because it isn't organized

AnnaCzereda

The Sum of Awe said:
there isn't a single tenet that is shared with ALL Satanists.

I think that one thing common to all Satanists, at least theoretically, is the promotion of individualism, embracing the superior will of an individual, who is his own god.

Belief in God? Some do, some don't.

Satanists do not believe in God. Even theistic Satanists, who believe in the literal existence of Satan and demons, don't engage in worship, like, for example, Christians or Muslims do. They treat the Devil more like a partner who can help them achieve their aims rather than a deity that should be worshiped. Anyway, they are in minority. Most Satanists are atheists.

I can't envision Satanism as an organization.

First of all, Satanism isn't an organization, just like Christianity, Islam or Buddhism aren't organizations. There is no consensus whether it's a religion or philosophy. Because of the ritualistic element to it, you can call it religion.

It can't be an organization because it isn't organized.

Actually, there are some organizations within Satanism. The most popular is the Church of Satan and though it calls itself a cabal, it is a coherent organization with the central administration and members register. The same is true about the Temple of Set, the First Satanic Church, the Modern Church of Satan or even the small organization like the Sect of the Horned God. Even the decentralized Order of Nine Angles is loosely organized into cells, nexions and peer groups. There are of course also Satanists who are not affiliated with any organization.

An organization that promotes diversity and is against herd conformity is too ironic to be called an organization while still living up to it.

That depends on an organization and people's attitude. People are social animals and they tend to form groups. And whenever you have a group of people, there is a danger of conformity. In my opinion, it depends more on an individual's attitude (his personality, self-esteem, ability to resist peer pressure) than on a particular group. Actually belonging to some organization can sometimes help you to achieve your goals or pursue your interests more effectively. And you really don't have to belong to any official organization to conform. Even on an online forum like this one, if you look closely, you will easily spot some people displaying a sheeple behavior.

Satanism has another thing holding it back from being a religion: The term branches off into different types, the types branch off to smaller groups, the groups branch off into individual perspectives.

That could be said about any other religion. Within each religion you have different churches, sects, organizations, orders and movements; each with its own unique tenets, rituals, initiatory grades and so on.

The Sum of Awe

I think that one thing common to all Satanists, at least theoretically, is the promotion of individualism, embracing the superior will of an individual, who is his own god.

I wouldn't disagree, But that is only one stitch; if that is the only concept agreed upon then anyone who is a non-conformist would be a Satanist, which is not true.

Satanists do not believe in God. Even theistic Satanists, who believe in the literal existence of Satan and demons, don't engage in worship, like, for example, Christians or Muslims do. They treat the Devil more like a partner who can help them achieve their aims rather than a deity that should be worshiped. Anyway, they are in minority. Most Satanists are atheists.

First sentence on the wikipedia page about it says you're wrong. And if you don't think just any old internet site has it right, there is a real world example such as the Church of Azazel

First of all, Satanism isn't an organization, just like Christianity, Islam or Buddhism aren't organizations. There is no consensus whether it's a religion or philosophy. Because of the ritualistic element to it, you can call it religion.

A religion is a form of organization...

Actually, there are some organizations within Satanism. The most popular is the Church of Satan and though it calls itself a cabal, it is a coherent organization with the central administration and members register. The same is true about the Temple of Set, the First Satanic Church, the Modern Church of Satan or even the small organization like the Sect of the Horned God. Even the decentralized Order of Nine Angles is loosely organized into cells, nexions and peer groups. There are of course also Satanists who are not affiliated with any organization.

I never said that there wasn't. Apparently you misunderstood: Satanism as a whole does not function as an organization.

That depends on an organization and people's attitude. People are social animals and they tend to form groups. And whenever you have a group of people, there is a danger of conformity. In my opinion, it depends more on an individual's attitude (his personality, self-esteem, ability to resist peer pressure) than on a particular group. Actually belonging to some organization can sometimes help you to achieve your goals or pursue your interests more effectively. And you really don't have to belong to any official organization to conform. Even on an online forum like this one, if you look closely, you will easily spot some people displaying a sheeple behavior.

Like the first thing you said, individualism is the most agreed upon factor. Let alone the heart of the left hand path is very much repulsive to herd conformity. Every Satanist I've spoken to always tend to be against a wrap-up community. This isn't to say they aren't in favor of community in general, simply a community that abides strict standards meant to be agreed upon by all members of the community.

That could be said about any other religion. Within each religion you have different churches, sects, organizations, orders and movements; each with its own unique tenets, rituals, initiatory grades and so on.

That's correct; but I'd imagine Satanism has it worse due to its excessive self-reliance/non-largely-traditional philosophies.

AnnaCzereda

The Sum of Awe said:
there is a real world example such as the Church of Azazel

I wasn't aware of its existence. Still, it's not the kind of worship you have in traditional religions like Christianity or Islam.

the heart of the left hand path is very much repulsive to herd conformity.
Theoretically, yeah. In practice, many of the so called "Satanists" still crave love and acceptance. Autonomy comes at an emotional price. Not everybody is willing to pay it.

The Sum of Awe

I wasn't aware of its existence. Still, it's not the kind of worship you have in traditional religions like Christianity or Islam.

Matter not. There is a principle disagreed on, and that is the entire point.

Theoretically, yeah. In practice, many of the so called "Satanists" still crave love and acceptance. Autonomy comes at an emotional price. Not everybody is willing to pay it.

I don't get how those are lost with autonomy