• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satanic baptism

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Are you a Satanist who practices this? What is the logic etc.?

Don't you think it's merely an imitation of other church baptism?

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles

I've heard about it. Both theistic and atheistic Satanism have rituals for it. In addition, I was baptized into the Christian faith as a child. Being a Satanist, I personally don't see a reason to practice it except to initiate or invite (the later being a child's baptism and not an adult's, because adults make the choice for themselves) the person to be officially among the ranks of the religion's followers. I never had a Satanic Baptism because I do think such rituals are a way to protest Christianity, and despite me disliking Christianity I don't see a reason to mock the faith that much more. Doesn't the mere fact that I identify as a Satanist mock the Church enough? A Satanist is born to be a Satanist, and no amount of baptism will draw them further or closer to Satanism. That being said, there are a majority of people brought up really conservative Catholic Christian (or any other sort of strict religious upbringing) who turn to Satanism or any other LHP religion and want to be officially "initiated" into that religion. If that's the case, or if a parent wants to give their child the chance to join the religion when they're older, I understand that. I personally don't see the point of a baptism for any reason other than those two things, Satanic or Christian. I wouldn't baptize my own kids into Satanism unless they asked me when they can make that choice for themselves. I feel like there is more freedom that way (which is something many Satanists value).

Onyx

Premium Member
I'm not opposed to the idea if done as an initiatory rite, for example to welcome a newcomer into a group.

Last edited:

Mindmaster

Premium Member

I'm not aware of any group that baptizes at least in the Christian sense.

What happens more often:

1) Self-dedication rituals, solo or in group.

2) Blessings of sorts, for the the theists in the room. It's not strange to ask one's spiritual friends to look over your child. :D

Most of this comes from the fact that many Satanists are against the initial concept of baptism (as in against one's will, being done before one has a say). They're also not with involving minors in their practices, especially those of the age where they don't really understand what is going on.

So what Satanic baptisms are you reading about that don't happen? :D The atheistic Satanists mostly do this in a mocking/parody way because they don't really believe anything anyway, etc. It's completely for show, if they are doing it...

Liu

I see the psychological value in such a baptism to renounce one's former religion and gain a stronger connection to the new one.

Personally, I have never done any proper initiation rite, though, except for informal prayers in which I declared my path. Also, never did anything resembling a self-baptism (unless you count smearing blood unto my arms and forehead once in a while for the heck of it).

I'm not a member of any group anyway, and so any "initiation" I go through is such a fluent process that it's quite difficult finding a fitting moment for "officially" marking it.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
So what Satanic baptisms are you reading about that don't happen? :D The atheistic Satanists mostly do this in a mocking/parody way because they don't really believe anything anyway, etc. It's completely for show, if they are doing it...

Here's a recent thread about a theistic Satanic baptism.
I want to give my future kids a Satanic Baptism

Atheistic Satanists sometimes will have a baptism for themselves to feel "initiated", but beyond that and two Satanic parents baptizing a kid for the heck of it, it is pretty much a Christian mockery thing. I don't feel like such rites are necessary, though.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Here's a recent thread about a theistic Satanic baptism.
I want to give my future kids a Satanic Baptism

Atheistic Satanists sometimes will have a baptism for themselves to feel "initiated", but beyond that and two Satanic parents baptizing a kid for the heck of it, it is pretty much a Christian mockery thing. I don't feel like such rites are necessary, though.

I've been asked to do it before, but haven't for the "against one's will" reason, and I don't deal with minors. :D Most theistic groups have an absolutely no minor rule, in general. It's not because we're cavorting around fire pits naked either. (Who needs a ritual for that? :p) Most us were basically conscripted into one religion or another at some point, so we have a beef with that approach.

If you want to do this, then legitimately the best way is to "pass through flames" by jumping a small fire as the old pagans did. Apparently, this really ticked off the Jews and Christians at some point.

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
I'm not opposed to the idea if done as an initiatory rite, for example to welcome a newcomer into a group.

That would be a bit interesting if the O.S. had that sort of an initiatory rite by welcoming the newcomer.:D

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I'm not aware of any group that baptizes at least in the Christian sense.

I have no idea what a satanic baptism involves. The idea of making everything opposite comes to mind, lol. Since there are unbaptisms, you might think satanists wouldnt want to associate anything with judaism.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I have no idea what a satanic baptism involves. The idea of making everything opposite comes to mind, lol. Since there are unbaptisms, you might think satanists wouldnt want to associate anything with judaism.

It's pretty rare for a Satanist to accept any of these concepts as "legit". Satanism (theistically) has absolutely less than zero to do with the notions of Abrahamic religions. We may accept that there is a Satan, but after that not much in common with the mainstream religions.

Inversion rituals can be cathartic, but blasphemy is an art form - seldom is it actually done to spite others insomuch as it is to self-help on psychological level or express oneself. Personally speaking, I feel that Jehovah is a made up god - like a fairy tale creature. I don't feel that way about Satan, various "demons", or gods from other pantheons because I can feel their energies. Anyway, for me the simple answer is "whatever floats your boat" - it doesn't hurt anyone to participate in such things. There is certainly some joy in being a little naughty, so hey, go for it! (if you need to)